Dan Bylsma new Sabres head coach (now official!)

spndnchz

FWIW we should get an official hiring today. NHL won't want this hanging over two game sevens on Friday and Saturday (yeah eleven, sevens!)

I saw some tweets that say that "game sevens" is actually correct. Something to do with compound nouns?

does "games seven" sound grammatical? no, bc it's not. "game seven" is a compound noun, correctly pluralized as "game sevens"

Edited by sabills

The idea that BUF has to give up a pick to a team that fired the coach is absolutely ridiculous.   How can that be allowed?

It's allowed, but the Sabres should be forcing the Penguins to blink first.  No way can a team want to get the reputation they would get if they don't let Bylsma walk.

I bet you and Hoss say attorney generals, too, don't you? :angry:

According to the Gregg Reference Manual, both attorneys general and attorney generals are recognized; though it does state that attorneys general is preferred.

As for games 7 or game 7s, it comes down to which is the chief component. Is it game or 7?

The rule is apparently black-and-white: a third-round pick as compensation for coach in the off-season.

So it doesn't seem like arm-twisting is involved.

It's either Sabres whining about how it shouldn't apply to a fired coach, or they are waiting on clarification over which third-round pick should go.

Someone on twitter brought up an interesting point - Pittsburgh fired him BEFORE the rule was adopted.

The idea that BUF has to give up a pick to a team that fired the coach is absolutely ridiculous.   How can that be allowed?

they did not fire him. they relieved him of his duties and kept paying him under his existing contract. as a result, they get to enjoy the upside of the rule that requires they be compensated for him being hired. seems fair to me.

good stuff from travis yost

http://www.tsn.ca/bylsma-can-stand-on-his-track-record-1.293813

yost-graph-bylsma.jpg

"This is unspeakably impressive, and one of the big reasons I’m such an ardent supporter of Dan Bylsma getting another coaching gig – be it in Buffalo or elsewhere. Without Crosby/Malkin in the lineup, Pittsburgh still scored 51.6% of the goals and generated 51.9% of the scoring chances at even-strength – a shade below their norm, but still well above break-even. And, their Corsi% -- the rate at which they controlled play at 5-on-5 – actually improved by a sliver, to 51.8%."

Some draft pick crap to figure out but looks like he's in. (Which I think is a load of crap)

Chime in...

I'm curious who you guys and gals think he'll pull in for assistant coaches?

Chime in...

It is a complete load of.... Pittsburgh is exploiting a goof up in whatever the league typed out. If a team fires a coach, they should not receive anything for it if another team hires him. It can hurt a coaches chance of landing another coaching position. If the Sabres do have to give up a 3rd round pick, I'd love it if Murray made a comment on how stupid the rule is. Sure, people have gotten on to Murray for saying this, that and the other when he probably shouldn't have, but I wouldn't mind it all if he slammed Pittsburgh for getting a pick. 

Didn't know Bylsma was relieved of duty, not fired, until after I posted this. 

Edited by GoPre

It's allowed, but the Sabres should be forcing the Penguins to blink first.  No way can a team want to get the reputation they would get if they don't let Bylsma walk.

But from the Pens' point of view, don't you think they might have the Sabres over a barrel? The Sabres can't let Bylsma too slip away, and Pegula certainly has a reputation of someone who's willing to overspend (in this case, being willing to give up the highest of the picks).

But from the Pens' point of view, don't you think they might have the Sabres over a barrel? The Sabres can't let Bylsma too slip away, and Pegula certainly has a reputation of someone who's willing to overspend (in this case, being willing to give up the highest of the picks).

Careful sunshine.  Tim Murray is running this boat and clearly is not in favor of surrendering the Sabres 2016 3rd.  

The league's rule prescribes a 3rd rounder, I read. Don't the Sabres have, like, 11 of those in the next 4 years?

Possible hang up on picks thought: If PIT wants BUF’s actual third in ‘16 that would affect BUF’s ability to serve offer sheets.

Hadn't considered this possibility. Interesting to think about.

This is exactly what I think is going on...that's the difference between getting Martin Jones from LA, or not getting Martin Jones. (For example)

The league's rule prescribes a 3rd rounder, I read. Don't the Sabres have, like, 11 of those in the next 4 years?

Yes, but it has to be your own draft pick...and you can only use your own draft picks on RFA offer sheets, I believe.

Yes, but it might say "the team's 3rd" not "a 3rd", so Buffalo might not be able to send on one that's traded for. Someone upthread mentioned that if it's the team's 3rd if affects offer sheets because I believe that does say it has to be the team's pick (not a traded one).

EDIT: beaten to the punch, I'll get you for this, Malooga.

Edited by MattPie

The NHL rules regarding tender offers to RFAs require that you have your own pick as comp to the team the RFA is under contract to. It doesn't matter if you have someone else's 3rd, you must have your own if the tender comp calls for a.pick in that round. I think they may be haggling over whether the Sabres must give them their 3rd. 

Edited by 3putt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.