Chicken wings

JJFIVEOH

Well you can all go to hell.

It's now 9:28pm and my dinner is still not quite ready to roll.

I just read all 2 pages of this thread, and now I'm freaking STARVING!

I'd freaking kill for a double order of wings right now, from almost anywhere mentioned in this thread!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yeah, I was going to mention to them Bar Bills. I grew up in East Aurora, love it. I liked Main St. Pizza Company in Batavia too. Used to enjoy Sorrentino's in East Aurora, but I think they're closed. 

Thanks guys, I passed along the recommendations. Now my mouth is watering for BFLO food. 

Sorrentino's is closed, there's a sports bar in the location. My parents are livid, they can't understand why someone would do that to them. :) They tried it but said it wasn't good but I can't say for myself. My wife is from South Wales so her's is a Pasquale's family so that's what I've had for the last bunch of EA pizza.  Sad thing is, I'll probably always remember the number for Sorrentino's: 655-4646.

I make my own now. Got sick of wasting my time trying to find any place that has decent wings. 

Starting to reach that point with fish fries. 

Yeah, I've given up on finding great wings around here but I don't want to deal with the mess of making my own. Once in awhile I get BBQ or some other odd flavor wing so I'm not comparing them to true Buffalo style the whole time.

I went to Duff's for the first time when I was in Buffalo last year, and the wings were delicious.

Also, I'm curious, is Fried Bologna a thing outside of Buffalo? I've never seen it anywhere else.

Fried scrapple is pretty popular around here. It's almost the same thing. :)

The sad thing is that as the wings became more popular and meat prices have gone up in general, a lot of places have gone to bigger roaster wings which have more meat, but are lower quality. You get bland meat and broken bones. I notice that a lot when a place with decent wings runs a special. they go to the rubbery roasters and on a regular day do it up right like you want.

This is giving me - pardon the pun - serious food for thought. 

You're not the first person I've heard mention Elmo's. I haven't been but I need to check it out next time I'm up there.

Bob & John's La Hacienda on Hertel have excellent wings but the draw for me there is the pizza, which I think is the best in Buffalo, and that is saying a lot. The beef on weck at the Wellington Pub next door, which is sort of connected, is excellent as well, and it's just a great late-night North Buffalo bar.

And speaking of places that have stuck with the traditional size/style of wing: Bob & John's remains a very, very solid place to get wings. And, as mentioned, the Weck from the affiliated pub next door is excellent (and I think you can order from over there when you're at the pizza place.)

I'm not sure the dynamics, but if you go to the supermarket at see "roaster chickens", they are usually a decent amount less per pound. I don't know if you eat clams, but the same thing applies. The little neck and middleneck clams are about 60% and 40% the size of Cherrystones, but they cost more. Probably because they are a cleaner and sweeter taste.....but to me, I am all about steaming a few dozen big cherrystones and dipping them in butter. I like the bold sea taste and padded wallet. But I agree on the wings...rather have a crispy smaller wing....when you get those little crusted knobs that are on the drumstick....and a couple fall off into the tinfoil with all the leftover sauce and that vinegar residue.......those are like the fries at the bottom of the McDonald's bag.

More food for thought.

I do wonder where Gabriel's Gate falls on this issue.

Duff's is my #1; Gabriel's Gate is #2.  You can have a long wait for a table at both spots, but once you're sitting down, Duff's is pretty fast, while Gabriel's can take forever.

If you need a spot near the airport, there's a Duff's on Transit now.  It's in a mall and so doesn't have quite the same atmosphere as the original one, but it's comfortable inside and the wings are the same (which is to say, they are the best wings on the planet).

Gabriel's Gate is in a neat part of town -- good for dinner and then walking around for boozing afterwards.

Sorry to the poster that advocated it upthread, but IMHO Buffalo Brew Pub stinks.

Sorrentino's is closed, there's a sports bar in the location. My parents are livid, they can't understand why someone would do that to them. :) They tried it but said it wasn't good but I can't say for myself. My wife is from South Wales so her's is a Pasquale's family so that's what I've had for the last bunch of EA pizza.  Sad thing is, I'll probably always remember the number for Sorrentino's: 655-4646.

Wales Center Hotel, all you can eat on Wednesday night.

Duff's is my #1; Gabriel's Gate is #2. You can have a long wait for a table at both spots, but once you're sitting down, Duff's is pretty fast, while Gabriel's can take forever.

If you need a spot near the airport, there's a Duff's on Transit now. It's in a mall and so doesn't have quite the same atmosphere as the original one, but it's comfortable inside and the wings are the same (which is to say, they are the best wings on the planet).

Gabriel's Gate is in a neat part of town -- good for dinner and then walking around for boozing afterwards.

Sorry to the poster that advocated it upthread, but IMHO Buffalo Brew Pub stinks.

If you are at Airport and prefer Duff's, the one on Dick Road is closer unless you have a thing against visiting places that Obama visited.

That is their trademark.

Yes it is, it's just a horrible way to present a properly cooked wing IMO.  A good wing sauce should do it's work by simply coating the wing and not require an ocean of hyper vinegary sauce. 

That brings me to another wing joint pet peeve, one that many WNY establishments suffer from too.  There should be a very discernible step up in heat when you go from mild to medium to hot wing sauces, IMO most places do a horrible job with this.

Audubon North Beef and Keg

Yes indeed!  I forgot about the North, absolutely fantastic wings that they will finish on the grill upon request.  Two big thumbs up.

How big of a deep fryer do you guys think I need to make about 20 or 30 wings?

Edit: or do I have to suck it up and make them a dozen at a time?

The fewer wings per batch the better. If you dump a ton in they'll drop the oil temperature down too far and they'll just be soaking in grease until it comes back up. (Disclaimer: I don't fry much of anything due to the mess, this is academic knowledge)

The fewer wings per batch the better. If you dump a ton in they'll drop the oil temperature down too far and they'll just be soaking in grease until it comes back up. (Disclaimer: I don't fry much of anything due to the mess, this is academic knowledge)

This is what I've been hearing (reading) so far.

This is what I've been hearing (reading) so far.

I've had wings on a grill before which were pretty good. I was sceptical but my friend dumped a bag of (I think frozen) wings on the grill on high, closed the lid, and left them other than stirring and turning occasionally. Plastic bowl of sauce like usual and they were pretty solid.

I've had wings on a grill before which were pretty good. I was sceptical but my friend dumped a bag of (I think frozen) wings on the grill on high, closed the lid, and left them other than stirring and turning occasionally. Plastic bowl of sauce like usual and they were pretty solid.

I'd be willing to give that a shot too. I miss my wings being cooked how I like them. (had the worst wings of my life in Florida in April)

I've got the sauce down. I just need the crispness of the fryer.

I grill wings all the time. Always come out great.

In my experience the key is, render the fat out of the skin by starting them off away from direct heat, then move them over direct heat to crisp them up.

Not Buffalo style chicken wings, but a plenty worthy alternative.

That is their trademark.

I had duffs for dinner last night. I ordered them hot. I was expecting a bowl of chicken wing soup but they came with just enough sauce and were crispy all the way through the meal, usually the last few become soggy. I was pleasantly surprised.

I went to Gabriel's gate 2 years ago and I thought the wings were bad, like I should have gone to anchor bar bad(anchor bar sucks). But I heard a lot of people say they were good so I gave them two more chances a few months later and they disappointed both times not to mention very long wait times when there were only a couple other people at the bar(kind of understandable with the tiny kitchen but still).

I grill wings all the time. Always come out great.

grilled wings are awesome

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.