Chicken wings

JJFIVEOH

I get to the Gate every time I go home and they're still great.

My ranking:

1. Duff's (though I prefer the new Duff's in Orchard Park because they sell Coke products and have cute girls)

2. Gabriel's Gate

3. Bar Bill

4. Shannon Pub on Niagara Falls Blvd. All the food is great but I was shocked at their wings.

5. Amherst Ale House

I went to Duff's for the first time when I was in Buffalo last year, and the wings were delicious.

Also, I'm curious, is Fried Bologna a thing outside of Buffalo? I've never seen it anywhere else.

Edited by skaught

How many of those places serve the small, crispy wings? To me a real Buffalo chicken wing is a small, crispy wing with a vinegar based sauce, the kind where you can finish off 30 of them. Down here it's all the same; gigantic meaty wings with 1,000 different types of sauce to choose from, the kind where 10 make an entire meal. They call them Buffalo wings and they're not even close.

How many of those places serve the small, crispy wings? To me a real Buffalo chicken wing is a small, crispy wing with a vinegar based sauce, the kind where you can finish off 30 of them. Down here it's all the same; gigantic meaty wings with 1,000 different types of sauce to choose from, the kind where 10 make an entire meal. They call them Buffalo wings and they're not even close.

The sad thing is that as the wings became more popular and meat prices have gone up in general, a lot of places have gone to bigger roaster wings which have more meat, but are lower quality. You get bland meat and broken bones. I notice that a lot when a place with decent wings runs a special. they go to the rubbery roasters and on a regular day do it up right like you want.

I found a barbeque place out here that smokes their wings first and then fries them.  Maybe it's a common approach at other places, but this was the first one where I actually looked at wings on the menu.  I have to say, their process worked out really well.  They nailed the crispiness with them.  I may be heading there tonight actually, so my mouth is now watering.

I found a barbeque place out here that smokes their wings first and then fries them. Maybe it's a common approach at other places, but this was the first one where I actually looked at wings on the menu. I have to say, their process worked out really well. They nailed the crispiness with them. I may be heading there tonight actually, so my mouth is now watering.

Dinosaur BBQ does a good job with their smoked wings. Meat falls off the bone and into your mouth.

I went to Duff's for the first time when I was in Buffalo last year, and the wings were delicious.

Also, I'm curious, is Fried Bologna a thing outside of Buffalo? I've never seen it anywhere else.

Newfoundland steak.  It's at least a thing in Atlantic Canada.

Don't go to Gabriel's gate, then.  The wings are huge.  Duff's are pretty big but not as big.

I will be rebel.  The best wings I ever had in Buffalo were at Elmo's Bar and Restaurant on Millersport Highway They were medium sized, juicy delicious wings. 

You're not the first person I've heard mention Elmo's. I haven't been but I need to check it out next time I'm up there.

Bob & John's La Hacienda on Hertel have excellent wings but the draw for me there is the pizza, which I think is the best in Buffalo, and that is saying a lot. The beef on weck at the Wellington Pub next door, which is sort of connected, is excellent as well, and it's just a great late-night North Buffalo bar.

Don't go to Duff's on Friday or Saturday either. They blanch their wings to speed everything up and that dries them out.

While I understand the desire for quality, if you want all your wings "freshly fried" you might be waiting an hour at any busy establishment. See anchor Bar.

While I understand the desire for quality, if you want all your wings "freshly fried" you might be waiting an hour at any busy establishment. See anchor Bar.

This is the first mention of Anchor Bar and should be the last. I went there for the first time in my life a couple of years ago even though I was born and raised in Buffalo just to see what people were thinking was the ultimate "Buffalo Wing". SO disappointing. Plus, my buddy and I asked for half hot, half medium, and they said they don't split orders. This was on an order of twenty wings. I have NEVER heard a place say that before. But ultimately, the wings aren't that great.

This is the first mention of Anchor Bar and should be the last. I went there for the first time in my life a couple of years ago even though I was born and raised in Buffalo just to see what people were thinking was the ultimate "Buffalo Wing". SO disappointing. Plus, my buddy and I asked for half hot, half medium, and they said they don't split orders. This was on an order of twenty wings. I have NEVER heard a place say that before. But ultimately, the wings aren't that great.

I agree you, but in general the Anchor Bar bashing that goes on bores me. I hear people say that they suck, and they really don't. They're fine, just expensive. Like you said, they're not great; they're also no worse than Joe Schmo's on any street corner in Buffalo, and if you want to pay a little more for the touristy aspect of it, god bless.

Personally, Gabriel's Gate is my personal favorite. Huge, saucy, still crispy, plus their house Brown Ale in the winter with a bucket of wings? Perfection.

I haven't lived in WNY for a couple decades, but my son and his family now live in Orchard Park.

He has taken me to Buffalo's Best Bar in the southtown area a couple of times, and I have to say the wings were great. They were meaty, crispy and plenty hot.

Nice beer selection there, too.

They can't make pizza in Georgia but there are a couple of places that make good wings.  That being said, for me fried wings are different than smoked wings.  I don't consider them the same things.  Both can be very delicious.

My favorite way to cook wings is to fry them, sauce them, then grill them.  So good. 

The sad thing is that as the wings became more popular and meat prices have gone up in general, a lot of places have gone to bigger roaster wings which have more meat, but are lower quality. You get bland meat and broken bones. I notice that a lot when a place with decent wings runs a special. they go to the rubbery roasters and on a regular day do it up right like you want.

I didn't realize the bigger wings didn't cost as much. That would make sense why so many have switched over to them. That's a shame that some places in BFLO have switched to them, I just figured the wings got bigger as the chickens got bigger over the years. If I came back to Buffalo, I'd have to search out who still served the small ones, I'd gladly pay more per wing for the tiny, crispy wings. The ones I make at home I get from Publix, they're usually pretty small. Around 32 wings (16x2) for just under 4 pounds. 

I hang out with like 10 guys from Buffalo here in Greensboro and a lot of times we get our wings crispy and naked and then make our own sauce with just butter, Frank's Red Hot, and maybe a little Tabasco. I also found Naturally Yours makes the best jarred blue cheese.

I didn't realize the bigger wings didn't cost as much. That would make sense why so many have switched over to them. That's a shame that some places in BFLO have switched to them, I just figured the wings got bigger as the chickens got bigger over the years. If I came back to Buffalo, I'd have to search out who still served the small ones, I'd gladly pay more per wing for the tiny, crispy wings. The ones I make at home I get from Publix, they're usually pretty small. Around 32 wings (16x2) for just under 4 pounds. 

I'm not sure the dynamics, but if you go to the supermarket at see "roaster chickens", they are usually a decent amount less per pound. I don't know if you eat clams, but the same thing applies. The little neck and middleneck clams are about 60% and 40% the size of Cherrystones, but they cost more. Probably because they are a cleaner and sweeter taste.....but to me, I am all about steaming a few dozen big cherrystones and dipping them in butter. I like the bold sea taste and padded wallet. But I agree on the wings...rather have a crispy smaller wing....when you get those little crusted knobs that are on the drumstick....and a couple fall off into the tinfoil with all the leftover sauce and that vinegar residue.......those are like the fries at the bottom of the McDonald's bag.

I was just in Horseheads/ Big Flats, far enough?

Seriously though, we had a very nice stay and the people in the region were great.

I live right on the corner of Horseheads, Big Flats, and Elmira.  My house is physically in Big Flats, I have an Elmira adress, and I was in the Horseheads school district.

So yes, Horseheads and Big Flats are just far enough :lol:

Edited by qwksndmonster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.