Chicken wings

JJFIVEOH

I think this thread demonstrates everyone likes their wings a little different. Having worked in a pizza shop, I was amazed at how some people would order their wings. One customer requested their wings to be cooked 30 minutes every time. Others would want the soup treatment.

If you are at Airport and prefer Duff's, the one on Dick Road is closer unless you have a thing against visiting places that Obama visited.

The other plus to the Dick Rd Duff's is they don't do the wing soup. Every time I've been there, they were properly sauced unlike the other 3.

I went to Gabriel's gate 2 years ago and I thought the wings were bad, like I should have gone to anchor bar bad(anchor bar sucks). But I heard a lot of people say they were good so I gave them two more chances a few months later and they disappointed both times not to mention very long wait times when there were only a couple other people at the bar(kind of understandable with the tiny kitchen but still).

I fear this is becoming an issue. I'm going to have to go and have some there before recommending them, as I normally do.

Also: There is nothing wrong with the wings at Anchor.

So this one time at the Pizza place I worked, we fried our wings (10minutes) and then sauced them (bbq and franks mixed, tossed wings in a bowl of it then removed the wings) then ran them through the pizza oven...  so good.  

In my experience the key is, render the fat out of the skin by starting them off away from direct heat, then move them over direct heat to crisp them up.

Not Buffalo style chicken wings, but a plenty worthy alternative.

Yep, this is how I do wings all the time on either my weber kettle or big green egg.  Indirect with some apple or cherry smoke wood until cooked, then I sauce them and put them back on the grill over direct high heat to crisp up the skin.  I prefer to eat them "dry" with the sauce cooked in, but I have extra sauce ready to toss them in for those who want them sauced again.

At Audubon North mentioned upthread they combine the best of both methods...fry in traditional manner until crispy, toss in sauce and finish on grill. Awesome.

So this one time at the Pizza place I worked, we fried our wings (10minutes) and then sauced them (bbq and franks mixed, tossed wings in a bowl of it then removed the wings) then ran them through the pizza oven...  so good.  

Yeah, the oven step is awesome It's unfortunate more places don't do it.

Fries.  Fries in wing sauce.

Or the celery. Or carrots. Or fingers. Or the napkins. Sunnabich, I need to get to Buffalo, like now.

Fries.  Fries in wing sauce.

Another thing I'm not a fan of at Duff's.  Wings and fries do not a good combo make, mainly for sanitary reasons.  Sharing some over sauced wings and fries with a buddy?  Watch as he licks his meaty paws covered in sauce and then dives that same hand into the basket of fries he's sharing with you.

Edited by Claude_Verret

You're crazy. I actually sauce the wings AND the fries and dip the whole sloppy mess in blue cheese.

But I'll dip the pizza in blue cheese, too. I'm from Buffalo.

F that, blue cheese is for people who don't enjoy what wings taste like.

Pizza and wings.  Fries are for chicken fingers and burgers.

Mrs. Racer puts out the blue cheese and red hot on pizza nights. After all those years of dipping the pizza crust in the remaining blue cheese dressing with Frank's Red Hot sauce from the wings, no pizza is the same without it.

Agreed. Blue cheese just gets in the way of wing consumption.

Nothing wrong with using it for pizza, fries and veggies though... ;)

Sure, if the pie is made with inferior cheese, sauce and dough.

TFG you said this. I don't understand this crime on food at all. If you don't enjoy the taste of wings just go drink some blue cheese. Don't even get me started with the morbidly obese habit of dipping pizza in blue cheese. Would you like some lard with that as well?

TFG you said this. I don't understand this crime on food at all. If you don't enjoy the taste of wings just go drink some blue cheese. Don't even get me started with the morbidly obese habit of dipping pizza in blue cheese. Would you like some lard with that as well?

I'm actually the polar opposite of this. I can no longer eat the high fat chicken wings, haven't been able to for a decade as I have hereditarily high cholesterol. The choice for me ever three months is a lean, nicely aged small steak, or a half dozen wings as my treat. I choose the steak.

I can however have my thin crust (bread is bad) vegie pizza and dip what little bit of crust is left in fat free blue cheese dressing with red hot and remember days long gone that chicken wings could actually be considered a meal that won't result in some type of very soon to be blockage of an artery.

Please remember, there where only three flavors of chicken wings for many years, mild medium hot. Your order came with blue cheese dressing and celery /carrots. We all aren't young enough to have grown up on 50 different chicken wing flavors, and 50 different draft beers. I won't tell you that Cajun rubbed Jamaican jerked dry ranch wings sound hideous, if you leave my blue cheese alone.  Fair enough?

Agreed. Blue cheese just gets in the way of wing consumption.

Wait a gotdamm minute. I can take an outlier decrying blue cheese as the perfect companion to wings, but three people? You guys are out of line. Way out of line.

Blue cheese is a wonderful, delightful complement to the wing. Maybe not everyone wants it or enjoys it or whatever, and that's fine. That leaves more for me.

In any case: Having blue cheese with your wings is a definitively Buffalo thing to do. I won't debate that point.

You probably don't like Labatt's Blue and sponge candy either.

And you ask the server to give you a plain hard roll with your roast beef sandwich. And you skip the horseradish.

You're crazy. I actually sauce the wings AND the fries and dip the whole sloppy mess in blue cheese.

But I'll dip the pizza in blue cheese, too. I'm from Buffalo.

The combination of a large pizza, double order of wings, extra blue cheese containers, and a pitcher of Blue/Canadian is about as close to heaven as I can get.

I prefer to spread some of the blue onto the surface of my slice.

I'm actually the polar opposite of this. I can no longer eat the high fat chicken wings, haven't been able to for a decade as I have hereditarily high cholesterol. The choice for me ever three months is a lean, nicely aged small steak, or a half dozen wings as my treat. I choose the steak.

I can however have my thin crust (bread is bad) vegie pizza and dip what little bit of crust is left in fat free blue cheese dressing with red hot and remember days long gone that chicken wings could actually be considered a meal that won't result in some type of very soon to be blockage of an artery.

Please remember, there where only three flavors of chicken wings for many years, mild medium hot. Your order came with blue cheese dressing and celery /carrots. We all aren't young enough to have grown up on 50 different chicken wing flavors, and 50 different draft beers. I won't tell you that Cajun rubbed Jamaican jerked dry ranch wings sound hideous, if you leave my blue cheese alone. Fair enough?

My wife puts blue cheese on everything but my so I'm not too far removed. I also agree those other flavors of wings sound terrible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.