Chicken wings

JJFIVEOH

So this one time at the Pizza place I worked, we fried our wings (10minutes) and then sauced them (bbq and franks mixed, tossed wings in a bowl of it then removed the wings) then ran them through the pizza oven... so good.

I do this sometimes. It is definitely good.

Everyone here who doesn't like blue cheese is dead to me.

this

You're crazy. I actually sauce the wings AND the fries and dip the whole sloppy mess in blue cheese.

But I'll dip the pizza in blue cheese, too. I'm from Buffalo.

this too. Fries and blue cheese... mmmmm MMM

JD's is on 55 across from the plaza with Harris Teeter, right?  If that's the one I'm thinking of we had the strangest experience ever there.  We walked in a couple days before Halloween and it was packed with kids having a costume contest.  I never would have expected that as it was a bar, a thursday night, and the Panthers were also playing.  I really don't remember the food because we both tried to eat as quickly as possible because we were the only people in the place who didn't have kids with them.

I haven't come across Draftline yet, but I'll keep an eye out for that.  The next one on my list was going to be CBC, but I just haven't found the time yet.

That's the place.  I've been there a lot with my family but never ran into a situation where it was overrun with little ones like that.  The other thing I like about JD's is that they do a different brewery tap takeover every month.  I was there on Monday night (far, far too late) for wings and this month it's New Belgium brewery with four or five beers on tap.

1.8 liter T-Fal from Walmart. It had good reviews.

Those wings.... I'm struggling to come up with the words. They made me feel like home wasn't so far away.

Nice! I hear ya about the wings, I took the suggestions from the thread on here about how to make real BFLO wings and after a couple of attempts I'll never even bother going out for wings any more. At least not around here. 

• 1 year later...

I visited Gabriel's Gate for wings when I was in town this weekend.  I hadn't been there I'd say for close to a decade, but the wings were awesome just like I remembered them.  For a traditional straight ahead no nonsense hot wing, GG remains very tough to beat.

Yup, my personal favorite. Good sized, crispy, but enough sauce and enough meat to handle it. Flavor is just right. Its the winner in my book.

Did you order drums only? What is this world coming to!?!?

It's from that bar, but it's not my picture.  It does look like there's at least one wing under the top layer.

There's actually a Duff's here in Texas.  It's in a suburban strip mall.  The wings are okay, but it just doesn't have the feel of a real Duff's back home.  It's almost an hour from my house so I don't go there often.

The bar I go to, Buffalo Bros, has several Buffalo menu selections:  Sahlen's hot dogs, Bison Brand French Onion Dip, beef on weck, pizza, wings, even a fried baloney sub.  And loganberry on tap!

Edited by Doohickie

It's from that bar, but it's not my picture.  It does look like there's at least one wing under the top layer.

There's actually a Duff's here in Texas.  It's in a suburban strip mall.  The wings are okay, but it just doesn't have the feel of a real Duff's back home.  It's almost an hour from my house so I don't go there often.

The bar I go to, Buffalo Bros, has several Buffalo menu selections:  Sahlen's hot dogs, Bison Brand French Onion Dip, beef on weck, pizza, wings, even a fried baloney sub.  And loganberry on tap!

You rubbed it in once, did you really need to do it a second time? barbecue-21.gif

For those in Rochester: I recently found the Exchange Sports Bar, where Nathaniel's used to be, just south of Blue Cross Arena.  Their wings were incredible - spot on!  (Note: sample size = one.)

Has anyone checked out the new Duff's in Henrietta (Rochester)?

I haven't checked either of these out, but to be fair I'm not a big wing guy because I find wings overpriced. 

I've been back to Buffalo a bunch over the last few years and the first time I went back I did Duff's and I could tell they had blanched their wings first. After that I have gone to other places like Sidelines or Gab's Gate, or hell even deep south taco or Johns Pizza had solid wings.  Wings are easy. Raw wings, 10-12minutes in a fryer and then toss in sauce, pull out of sauce and serve. I don't know how places manage to em up but they do.

Wings have definitely gone through the roof.  I remember those 10 cent wing nights from 25 years ago fondly.

Last time I worked food service, it was 75$ a case for wings. That was, I believe 4 5lb bags of raw wings with roughly 50-60 wings a bag. That was at least 6 years ago now and even then the price was mounting 

In my experience the key is, render the fat out of the skin by starting them off away from direct heat, then move them over direct heat to crisp them up.

Not Buffalo style chicken wings, but a plenty worthy alternative.

This is my method to grilling wings, but I'm considering an experiment.

Grill/smoke wings indirectly with cherry or apple wood for 20 minutes or so.

Remove wings from grill and put cast iron dutch oven over direct heat with vegetable oil and heat oil to 350-375.

Fry pre-smoked wings as normal until done,

Toss in Franks based wing sauce

A more traditional Buffalo wing with a hint of smoke perhaps?  I might try this weekend.

I have friends who just "go out for wings" like you could possibly make a meal out of that. I can eat 30 wings in a sitting easy. I would have to eat dinner first.

You most certainly can make a meal out of wings. 

Anyone who needs (or chooses) to have a meal before scarfing down 30 wings (or 10 wings, for that matter) has an insanely high metabolism and/or is inviting imminent obesity.

In my lifetime, I've been just one of those kinds of people - at times (not consistently).

You most certainly can make a meal out of wings.

Anyone who needs (or chooses) to have a meal before scarfing down 30 wings (or 10 wings, for that matter) has an insanely high metabolism and/or is inviting imminent obesity.

In my lifetime, I've been just one of those kinds of people - at times (not consistently).

30 wings is a meal. 10 wings is a snack. If I'm eating 10 wings there better be an entree with that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.