I need to be talked off the ledge...

LabattBlue

I expect TM to offer Eichel, Reinhart and our other #1 this year for McD -- and I expect Edmonton to say no.

If we can't have McD, we want him exiled out west.  Rumored offers like this one and some of the other scenarios (Risto/Eichel/Girgs) to move up one slot benefit the Sabres as they could drive the asking price beyond what most other teams are willing to deal.  Provided we don't actually consummate a ridiculous deal, of course.

Murray's playing chess while everyone reading his quotes is playing checkers. 

Murray is a great scout, but I doubt he's that much smarter than every other GM, especially when it comes to trades/deception. He might be playing Go-Fish while everyone else is playing Euchre. And if Murray's playing that then MacTavish is playing 52-Card Pickup 

For the record:

There is not a chance in hell that Tim Murray throws away all our assets to go from Eichel to McDavid.

And even more so, there is not a chance in hell that Edmonton gives away the No.1 pick and Connor McDavid.

This is just a total nothing proposition.

To the OP: stop worrying about nonsense and enjoy the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Theory going 'round the water cooler this morning:  The league cannot possibly want McDavid in Edmonton.  What if the league prods Pegula to take action?

Not my theory.  

Then Pegula should spit in their face, since they spread out the odds further this year in part to spite the Sabres. As I said in the lottery thread itself: it's a terrible outcome for the league, and the league is 100% responsible for it, and that actually makes me pretty happy.

Then Pegula should spit in their face, since they spread out the odds further this year in part to spite the Sabres. As I said in the lottery thread itself: it's a terrible outcome for the league, and the league is 100% responsible for it, and that actually makes me pretty happy.

True. Not a good outcome for the league, it buries one of their "to-be" stars in a small Canadian city in a bad tv market. 

Zemgus, you shall be the rock we shall build this contender on.

Reinhart will pass the puck three times before the goal horn wails twice.

McDavid was a false god!

I like it.

Look at it this way. Is Terry Pegula, a man who has invested what, $100+ Million dollars (not to mention the Harbor Center) in USA & College Hockey really going to pass on the best US Born college player in decades for a product of the Canadian juniors system?  Think about it for a while. 

Good points.

Regardless of what Edmonton said, he'd deserve to be fired for making that offer.

Unless he was doing the owner's bidding

Could you imagine PA if that happened and we found out Pegula forced it? Oh man :lol:

If GM TM were to make an offer to Edmonton in an effort to get McJesus, you better believe that offer would come (1) at Terry's request and/or (2) with Terry's blessing. More likely #2.

Theory going 'round the water cooler this morning:  The league cannot possibly want McDavid in Edmonton.  What if the league prods Pegula to take action?

Not my theory.  

Hmm. So that #97 can be in Buffalo?

More likely to me: The league pushes through some new rules that it make it less (far less?) prohibitive to sign an RFA to an offer sheet. That way, McDavid can make his way to Toronto after -- what? -- his entry level deal is over. 

Not my theory.  

How could this theory possibly be true, when the NHL powers that be rigged the draw so that McDavid (assuming he is selected with the first pick by the Oil) ends up in Edmonton.

Hmm. So that #97 can be in Buffalo?

More likely to me: The league pushes through some new rules that it make it less (far less?) prohibitive to sign an RFA to an offer sheet. That way, McDavid can make his way to Toronto after -- what? -- his entry level deal is over. 

More likely to me, too.  And you know the NHLPA would NEVER object to that.

Really not trying to start something here.  Just the thought occurred to me that the "SABRES" have been very vocal in their desire for McDavid.  That strikes me as coming from the top of the brain trust.

true, you never heard TM say he dreams about Eichel and can't stop thinking about him, Pegula didn't invite Boston University to play a game in Buffalo in front of Sabres fans so they can see him first hand......

It's the fan base that seems to think the front office tanked to get McEichel and that they would be equally happy with either. I haven't heard or seen anything coming from the Sabres aside from the expected "we would be happy with whatever the result" comment when referring to the draft.

There is not a chance in hell that Tim Murray throws away all our assets to go from Eichel to McDavid.

And even more so, there is not a chance in hell that Edmonton gives away the No.1 pick and Connor McDavid.

This is just a total nothing proposition.

Not nothing.  I think one of the recent #1s (but not McD) could be on the trading block in exchange for some solid defense.  The Sabres could be a player in that.  Don't give away McD, but part with one of the other similar (but not was good) top picks to fill a gap they have.  Ryan Nugent Hopkins would look very good in the Blue & Gold and I'd be willing to package any defenseman except Risto with a few draft picks and prospects in order to get him.  And what the heck, throw them a low-mileage Cody Hodgson.

true, you never heard TM say he dreams about Eichel and can't stop thinking about him, Pegula didn't invite Boston University to play a game in Buffalo in front of Sabres fans so they can see him first hand......

It's the fan base that seems to think the front office tanked to get McEichel and that they would be equally happy with either. I haven't heard or seen anything coming from the Sabres aside from the expected "we would be happy with whatever the result" comment when referring to the draft.

Tim Murray was specifically asked about Connor Mcdavid when he made the comment you are referring to.  Boston University doesn't play less than an hour away in Erie.  So yea, you know facts and stuff.  

Tim Murray was specifically asked about Connor Mcdavid when he made the comment you are referring to.  Boston University doesn't play less than an hour away in Erie.  So yea, you know facts and stuff.  

LGR, beating me to the punch once again.

+1

I'll go one step further.  I would love it, if McDavid states "I will never play for the Oilers", and the idiots that run the franchise come back with "well...no way we are trading you"...and then have it really get ugly. 

How would that taste Bettman?  I don't care how much people feel the league has "grown" during his reign, you have two franchises in TERRIBLE shape(Florida and Arizona), and the play is going more and more towards defense first by teams who don't have any offensive firepower.  Plus you have allowed the officials to go back to allowing anything and everything.  All the exciting style of play we saw in 05-06 and 06-07 is a distant memory.  SHITHEAD!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.