The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Unofficially, yes. Officially, they have to have the roster down to 23 sometime tomorrow. 

They only have 23 healthy players (Bogosian is out) on the roster so they don't need to make any more moves before Thursday.   They have 13 forwards, so one of Reinhart, McGinn, or Larsson will likely not dress Thursday.  And they'll likely go with 7 D, so one of Colaiacovo, Donovan, McCabe or Pysyk will likely not dress.   My money is on Reinhart and McCabe.  

When Bogosian returns, they'll need to send somebody down to make room, but it sounds like he could miss another 2 weeks maybe 3, which is enough time for the forward situation to work itself out. 

My money is on Reinhart 

Did Bylsma not essentially rule out this as a possibility?

“I see positives having those four guys together and competing for a spot on the opening-day roster,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said this morning following a nearly two-hour practice.

If Reinhart, the second overall pick in 2014, doesn’t earn a regular spot, don’t expect him to watch in Buffalo as a healthy scratch. Reinhart can be sent to the AHL freely this year. Bylsma would rather have the youngster play regularly with the Rochester Americans.

“For him to play 30 games here this year and be here the whole year, (it’s) probably not the best for his development as a player,” Bylsma said inside the First Niagara Center.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sam-reinhart-wont-stay-with-sabres-as-scratch/

Edit: Just watched the presser. And, yeah, Bylsma specifically said he didn't like the paradigm of choosing between top line minutes in Roch and 30 games in Buffalo. Who was asking that question? Was it Hoppe himself? If so, hmmm. No bueno. #Narrative

Edited by That Aud Smell

Did Bylsma not essentially rule out this as a possibility?

“I see positives having those four guys together and competing for a spot on the opening-day roster,” Sabres coach Dan Bylsma said this morning following a nearly two-hour practice.

If Reinhart, the second overall pick in 2014, doesn’t earn a regular spot, don’t expect him to watch in Buffalo as a healthy scratch. Reinhart can be sent to the AHL freely this year. Bylsma would rather have the youngster play regularly with the Rochester Americans.

“For him to play 30 games here this year and be here the whole year, (it’s) probably not the best for his development as a player,” Bylsma said inside the First Niagara Center.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sam-reinhart-wont-stay-with-sabres-as-scratch/

Edit: Just watched the presser. And, yeah, Bylsma specifically said he didn't like the paradigm of choosing between top line minutes in Roch and 30 games in Buffalo. Who was asking that question? Was it Hoppe himself? If so, hmmm. No bueno. #Narrative

Interesting.   The 4 he's referring to are Reinhart, McGinn, Larsson and Girgensons.   Has Zemgus not had a good camp?   Kinda surprised he's lumped in with those 3.     McGinn has had a good camp, so I don't see either of those 2 being the odd man out...  so it comes down to Reinhart and Larsson.     Larsson was one of the best players down the stretch last season.    That said, I hope they make the right move and start Reinhart in Roch.    If he's really too good for the AHL he'll tear it up down there and his stay won't be long.   Let him earn it.   

We have the bottle neck with the 4.

Reinhart is sent to Rochester to bake to a nice golden brown,  coming up to the big club for some injury replacement duty and playing well.

Does that mean one or two of the other 4 become trade bait for a top 4 LHD?

We have centre depth for the first time in God knows how long.  Being deep down the middle wins championships.  I want a LHD like you but I'm in no rush to trade a centre unless an offer absolutely blows me away.

I honestly feel like in light of the Grigorenko situation, Reinhart could be 25 years old, and people would still be saying things like "let him spend some time in Rochester to earn his NHL time". Reinhart is not Grigorenko, And he wasn't mishandled his first year. He spent the year in junior. Reinhart is ready for the NHL now. He is a number 2 overall draft pick, and showed he was ready in the preseason.

He's not going to Rochester.

They only have 23 healthy players (Bogosian is out) on the roster so they don't need to make any more moves before Thursday.   They have 13 forwards, so one of Reinhart, McGinn, or Larsson will likely not dress Thursday.  And they'll likely go with 7 D, so one  Colaiacovo, Donovan, McCabe or Pysyk will likely not dress.   My money is on Reinhart and McCabe.  

When Bogosian returns, they'll need to send somebody down to make room, but it sounds like he could miss another 2 weeks maybe 3, which is enough time for the forward situation to work itself out. 

We have 28 guys in camp still, correct? With 5 injuries: Ullmark, Guhle, Sanguinetti, Bogosian and McCormick. Gotta believe Ullmark, Guhle, and Sanguinetti are marked for Junior/AHL when they are healthy. So that leaves Bogosian and McCormick. I'll predict that barring injuries to others on the roster, McCormick would go to the AHL. So the only player we would need to make room for is, again, barring injury, Bogosian. So my guess is McCabe would head to Rochester once Bogosian is back, making McCabe the only guy in the current 23 who won't be on team for the long hall this year.

As for who is scratched to start the year, I'll go with Foligno, Colaiacovo and Donovan.