The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Speculation is that Babcock wants to coach McDavid. Would the dysfunction in EDM's Management Structure be enough to deter him?

It should be.

Agreed. To me Babcock will make a decision between two teams this off season. Detroit or Buffalo. Toronto or Edmonton sully his reputation cause they are tire fires.

One just starting and one never ending. EDIT: Both never ending.

Detroit is starting to decline. Buffalo ready to come out of the gates for the foreseeable future.

Welcome to Buffalo Mike Babcock. The legend continues.

Edited by beerme1

Speculation is that Babcock wants to coach McDavid. Would the dysfunction in EDM's Management Structure be enough to deter him?

If he decides to join that organization because of one guy, he's not the guy you want to coach the Sabres. 

Yes.  He's not going to Edmonton.

But now, I'm not sure he's coming here, either.  I think Detroit and Philly are the best bets.

Edited by Eleven

Yes.  He's not going to Edmonton.

But now, I'm not sure he's coming here, either.  I think Detroit and Philly are the best bets.

What are the chances that he DOES go to Edmonton...he has a meeting with ownership....and out of that meeting he gets hired as coach and is allowed to 'pick' the GM he wants to work with...and the current Edmonton management team is dismissed?

What are the chances that he DOES go to Edmonton...he has a meeting with ownership....and out of that meeting he gets hired as coach and is allowed to 'pick' the GM he wants to work with...and the current Edmonton management team is dismissed?

Only in the parallel universe that pi2000 keeps referencing.

I think he would just go to Pitt (with Crosby) or Boston (big city) for that.....

If those coaching jobs open up, I'll definitely revise my thinking.  But those teams have coaches right now.

Edited by Eleven

Heard something this morning that makes my comments about Edmonton wrong potentially. 

Maybe despite being a tire fire he would go there with McDavid plus all the other number 1's they have but the x factor being that they do give him much more control over the team than just coach. That team should be so much better than they are and he plus McDavid could make it so. Will be interesting to see just what the hell Babcock decides to do. I still like our chances for him as much as anyone else.

If those coaching jobs open up, I'll definitely revise my thinking.  But those teams have coaches right now.

I think Boston is 100% going to open and if Pitt reaches out to Babcock and there is interest, should be a slam dunk. Having said that, I still think it comes down to Detroit and Buffalo.

I think Boston is 100% going to open and if Pitt reaches out to Babcock and there is interest, should be a slam dunk. Having said that, I still think it comes down to Detroit and Buffalo.

But the $5MM Q is will either job open up before Detroit, Filly, or Buffalo have gotten him to sign on the dotted line?

Babcock

McLellan

Claude Julien (if fired). I think he has done an amazing job in Boston

I guess Richardson but don't know much about him

Bylsma - this would be the one that would infuriate me. I don't think he did NEARLY enough with that Pitt squad with all the talent. Maybe that's unfair to say due to Fleury's play once they got to the post season....

I'm moving McLellan to #1 and think Terry should go full court press before someone else does. I just don't see Babcock coming to Buffalo...