The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Again, what is the appeal with MacLean?

MacLean had a fair amount of success, has good pedigree and was the hot coaching candidate a few years ago. I like guys like him. A lot of times its that second gig where it all comes together.

In the end, I'm fine with all the names on the list as long as it's not Torts.

I get all the Babcock hype but gee we make it sound like he's the best coach ever. A lot of us thought that Brian Burke going to Toronto would turn that team around and look what happened there. Plenty of coaches out there but I'm hoping Byslma isn't one were interested in. It's not the end of the world that he didn't come to Buffalo. I still think he wanted to have a ton of say in hockey matters and I think Toronto grossly overpaid for him. He's inheriting a mess.

He's had far more success, on paper, than Richardson and is a seasoned coach; but would likely be willing to have Richardson on the staff.

What 11 said plus how can you say MacLean has had far more success? Richardson hasn't even coached in the NHL yet. Rolston has more wins than Richardson...

But I want to know the actual appeal of MacLean overall. Not how he compares to one other candidate. The actual appeal there.

Flashes of Ted Nolan: http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/10/26/maclean-yanks-youth-for-experience

I've seen Ottawa fans, even before MacLean was MacFired, complain about this type of coaching. Always thinking the vets were better than the skilled youngsters. A lot of complaints about scratching guys like Stone and Hoffman last year BEFORE they blew up under Cameron this year. I don't want a guy that seems stuck on vets when this team is ready for an influx of youth.

I saw a complaint about the number of coaching threads, but is everybody okay with me opening up a Luke Richardson thread? We've got a Disco Dan thread and a Claude Julien thread.

Edited by Hoss

I saw a complaint about the number of coaching threads, but is everybody okay with me opening up a Luke Richardson thread? We've got a Disco Dan thread and a Claude Julien thread.

Sad you have to ask. You'll rue the day!

You know people get slammed for that here. Why is beyond me though.

What 11 said plus how can you say MacLean has had far more success? Richardson hasn't even coached in the NHL yet. Rolston has more wins than Richardson...

But I want to know the actual appeal of MacLean overall. Not how he compares to one other candidate. The actual appeal there.

Flashes of Ted Nolan: http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/10/26/maclean-yanks-youth-for-experience

I've seen Ottawa fans, even before MacLean was MacFired, complain about this type of coaching. Always thinking the vets were better than the skilled youngsters. A lot of complaints about scratching guys like Stone and Hoffman last year BEFORE they blew up under Cameron this year. I don't want a guy that seems stuck on vets when this team is ready for an influx of youth.

I like the idea of a separate thread for each coach with a bunch of detail, then we can debate which one we want in the consolidated "Next coach" thread.

I think there is a major difference between coaching a largely veteran team and taking very young players and developing them. I'd like to know which coaches out there have a reputation for bringing along young players successfully. That's who we need right now. And I don't think Babcock was that guy anyway.

"Rue the day?  Who talks like that?"

I dunno. Some old white guy. Pants above the belly. Wearing a sweater and shaking his fist at some punk lol

I think there is a major difference between coaching a largely veteran team and taking very young players and developing them. I'd like to know which coaches out there have a reputation for bringing along young players successfully. That's who we need right now. And I don't think Babcock was that guy anyway.

Ron Rolston had that rep.

No. Their resumes aren't particularly impressive and I think most have had enough of the inner circle getting jobs in Buffalo.

Exactly. It gets hard to stomach mention of any former Sabre. What is Randy Moller doing these days?

I'll be the first one to admit that I was pretty pissed yesterday but it was not because we did not get Babcock, it was because the perception was that buffalo came in 2nd AGAIN. That anger has subsided and it really feels as though the fan base and management alike are going to be on a ,mission with this team. I don't care who the hell they get as their next coach as long as he is on the same page and REALLY wants to be here. Big name, new name...whatever. I am so ready for that next step and I think we can agree that there is no wrath like a TM/TP scorned. 

Buffalo has always loved the us against the world mentality and I think that will more evident now more than ever. As a season ticket holder, I am fired up and absolutely cannot wait for the opening lineup announcements as well as those Toronto games. People seem pretty fired up in these parts and I like it. The next chapter is unfolding and it is going to be a freakin' hell of a fun ride. The fans are ready to back this team and with the youthful, talented group that has been collected, these names should grow with us for a while. 

Time to close this thing boys, time to go get that first prize!