The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Uhm, do you think they're sitting around drawing with crayons in between Babcock tweets? They didn't want McLellan. Their list is not anyone's list here.

And, do we know if there haven't already been other interviews or conversations? We don't. Well, Hamilton said earlier that they have.

Yes, they did not interview (unless someone has something other than a phone call to report) any one else. I think Terry and Kim thought they would get it done. I bet GMTM is running around trying to line up interviews.

True,

But the Sabres have only interviewed one coach, hence all eggs in one basket.  The Sabres are no further now than 3 weeks ago when they fired Nolan. They can have any number of AHL/college coaches, a proven NHL winner pool is much smaller now.

IDK, I guess it is, but if the Oilers wanted McLellen as bad as they appeared to then the Sabres weren't getting him, and now Babcock who is a moot point, other than that if anything it could GROW (see:Claude Julien).

You could also make the argument that if they had interviewed someone else, made a huge offer to Babcock, and then went to guy #2 when that offer failed he would feel like a second fiddle and not be as inclined to take the job.

You guys talking about Claude Julien should get that out of your heads. He's a disgusting coach who coaches a disgusting game - we're not going to want his style of hockey here.

Julien?  The coach of the despised Bruins????   Working for the Sabres???????   That's blasphemy!  Next thing ya know, the Bills will be onboarding the coach of the hated New York Jets....... oh wait......   :P

Edited by Jsixspd

Yes, they did not interview (unless someone has something other than a phone call to report) any one else. I think Terry and Kim thought they would get it done. I bet GMTM is running around trying to line up interviews.

There are 30 NHL coaching jobs.  You don't run around to set up interviews, you just ask.

You guys talking about Claude Julien should get that out of your heads. He's a disgusting coach who coaches a disgusting game - we're not going to want his style of hockey here.

I agree with this. He let's his team dive and take indiscretions and then cries unfair when it is reciprocated. I don't respect that.

I don't like Ball-Smack either. And, I don't like the thought of an AHL coach, like Richardson, but if Detroit is that high on Blashill, maybe Richardson is ready too. I firmly believe Murray hires his guy -- Richardson -- because he seems to GZF and does whatever he wants, so I think I should prepare myself for that and give him a chance instead of fight it. I don't think we'll ever know, but IMO Murray didn't want Babcock. I would guess that was being driven by the Pegulas.

IDK, I guess it is, but if the Oilers wanted McLellen as bad as they appeared to then the Sabres weren't getting him, and now Babcock who is a moot point, other than that if anything it could GROW (see:Claude Julien).

You could also make the argument that if they had interviewed someone else, made a huge offer to Babcock, and then went to guy #2 when that offer failed he would feel like a second fiddle and not be as inclined to take the job.

I guess I wanted to see for the first time an actual pool of coaches being interviewed where both the team and the coach came out as winners at the end of the process and truly though they both make each other better.

There are 30 NHL coaching jobs.  You don't run around to set up interviews, you just ask.

If it's that easy why wait PostCock, why haven't we heard of a few other coaches at least getting phone calls?

I guess I wanted to see for the first time an actual pool of coaches being interviewed where both the team and the coach came out as winners at the end of the process and truly though they both make each other better.

If it's that easy why wait PostCock, why haven't we heard of a few other coaches at least getting phone calls?

Because every single reporter is covering C0ckGate 2015.  C0ckpocolypse is more interesting than the Sabres calling a coach.  Murray might not have even called anyone yet. Just be patient.  These things take time. 

Dave Tippett-Watch? I know they reported he had an out clause, and then they said he didn't. We're a year or two ahead in our tank, and it is starting to look like Phoenix might not have a team in a couple of years.

It's a total pipe dream, but still...

Because every single reporter is covering C0ckGate 2015.  C0ckpocolypse is more interesting than the Sabres calling a coach.  Murray might not have even called anyone yet. Just be patient.  These things take time. 

I am patient , I want an actual interview process with candidates.  I want the Sabres to have at least two, best is three interviews then a selection ( they have until before the draft, I'm getting impatient after that). I want our head coach and GM to walk hand in hand holding an Eichel sweater on the stage draft day. Everyone on the same page  all happy and smiles.  Some thing just didn't seem right about the COckGate and JJFiveOH eluded to it earlier, we may have been saved from ourselves.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Other Coaching Options per John Vogl

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/05/20/with-babcock-off-the-table-whos-next/

Bylsma, Cunneyworth, Richardson, MacLean, and Boucher.

Wait apparently Harrington wrote it. Vogl just tweeted the link. 

No thanks to the bold.

I'd be interested in knowing just how large a role Richardson had in developing Ottawa's prospects; it would go a long way to being able to evaluate him. 

Not answering for sizzle, but he is a dirty coach that coaches a dirty game and then complains about it if some other team gives the same back.

I know, but that never bothered the Bruins and their Stanley Cup.  I have reservations about his ability to work with young players, and he is by no means a perfect fit.  But he's one of those "proven winners" that I wouldn't be opposed to.

No thanks to the bold.

I'd be interested in knowing just how large a role Richardson had in developing Ottawa's prospects; it would go a long way to being able to evaluate him. 

I actually think Maclean as coach would be a blast. Big Event hockey. He knows Babcocks system, he knows when to mug it up. The real knock on him was the players turned on him. For some reason Bryan Murray felt his hands were tied. Maclean knows the game. He's not a perfect coach, but I think he'd work here. 

I actually think Maclean as coach would be a blast. Big Event hockey. He knows Babcocks system, he knows when to mug it up. The real knock on him was the players turned on him. For some reason Bryan Murray felt his hands were tied. Maclean knows the game. He's not a perfect coach, but I think he'd work here.

Considering Tippett apparently isn't available, this is where I'm leaning towards as my preference.

I'm with this. I think my order would be MacLean, Bylasma, then Richardson.

I like the idea of Richardson because I like fresh blood and anyone who lasted for 20 years in the NHL with his wheels knows his way around a hockey rink.

But as I said elsewhere, I don't have a strong preference and I haven't really got enough info to make an informed call.

I like the idea of Richardson because I like fresh blood and anyone who lasted for 20 years in the NHL with his wheels knows his way around a hockey rink.

But as I said elsewhere, I don't have a strong preference and I haven't really got enough info to make an informed call.

This is where I am, too.  I'm pretty slutty, though, so I'll be cheering for whomever GMTM hires.

It's always been Richardson in my opinion and will be so by Friday.

Guess who is going to look smart on Friday?  This guy.

bahahahahahaha

Edited by wjag

Paul MacLean was also a skill player, whom our under-performing and up-and-coming skill players could relate to. Our Murray would probably have to be convinced that MacLean learned some things by being fired from Ottawa. 

Whatever happens, I think it'll be an interesting tussle between Pegula and Murray.  Seems as though Murray has been winning those as of late, though.  So, Pegula likes splash and cronies, and the next in line to fall under that umbrella is Bylsma.  Meanwhile, it has long been said Murray wants Richardson.  If the recent past is any indicator of future paths, I think the Sabres next coach will be Richardson.

Paul MacLean was also a skill player, whom our under-performing and up-and-coming skill players could relate to. Our Murray would probably have to be convinced that MacLean learned some things by being fired from Ottawa. 

I think he learned not to piss off Tim's Uncle.