The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

It's not like that at all. It's like being on a waiting list for the first production run of a new Lamborghini, then as you move up to #2 on the list, getting told you're never getting to #1...and then going out and buying a new "supercar" made in somebody's shop that nobody has ever heard of. Richardson's got a lean and unimpressive track record in the AHL, but is otherwise a total unknown.

No.  The Sabres had a deal with Babcock.  This is Lucy pulling the ball out before Charlie Brown could kick it.  They were going for who Pegula thought would be the best coach for his team. 

Using your analogy, this is being told, yes, you bought the new Lamborghini, we just need to finish the paperwork, but, oops, uh-oh, this guy down the street just gave me more money...forget the deal.

Hey, say what you want about Ron Rolston...but no one.  I mean no one! No one wears women's gardening gloves like that man, particularly while conducting hockey practice for an NHL franchise.

Fun Fact: his daughter plays with and is good friends with my buddy's daughter!  Family still living out in Clarence apparently...Ron now a scout in Phoenix.

A scout in Phoenix, eh?

A soft landing for a good DR soldier.  That's nice.

No.  The Sabres had a deal with Babcock.  This is Lucy pulling the ball out before Charlie Brown could kick it.  They were going for who Pegula thought would be the best coach for his team. 

Using your analogy, this is being told, yes, you bought the new Lamborghini, we just need to finish the paperwork, but, oops, uh-oh, this guy down the street just gave me more money...forget the deal.

That may well be what happened, but it's a poor analogy for going from Babcock to Richardson.

Rolston has been in Rochester many times scouting.

Oh certainly.  That is not a new development.  He landed on his feet in his current scouting role relatively quickly after being fired here.  

He was completely out of his depth as an NHL coach, but I think he's a good guy at heart.

I never understood the game he played with the press here though, particularly during post-game press conferences.

He adopted a strange false persona and was putting on an act in my opinion.  And it didn't work.

I always thought that was weird. 

I'd be very happy with DeBoer too.  DeBoer is an excellent coach IMO.  (but it isn't my decision). 

I wouldn't be unhappy with Bylsma, to tell you the truth. Although, he wouldn't be my first choice with an unformed roster. 

He's a good coach, but there is a reason he's called Pete DeBore. 

That may well be what happened, but it's a poor analogy for going from Babcock to Richardson.

No it's not.  You're creating some sort of relationship between the two where there is, in fact, none.  At all.  If the Sabres short list goes 1. Babcock 2. Richardson, then, that's their short list.  There is no other relationship or connection.  YOU may have preferences, or might be able to rank the candidates based on whatever factors you choose, but the fact is that if the Sabres find it in their best interest to go hire Richardson after making a play for Babcock, then they are doing what they think is in their best interest.

Anything negative is a result of chatter amongst the fans, and nothing to do with the business of bringing a championship to Buffalo.

No it's not.  You're creating some sort of relationship between the two where there is, in fact, none.  At all.  If the Sabres short list goes 1. Babcock 2. Richardson, then, that's their short list.  There is no other relationship or connection.  YOU may have preferences, or might be able to rank the candidates based on whatever factors you choose, but the fact is that if the Sabres find it in their best interest to go hire Richardson after making a play for Babcock, then they are doing what they think is in their best interest.

Anything negative is a result of chatter amongst the fans, and nothing to do with the business of bringing a championship to Buffalo.

I think we got our wires cross somewhere, but yes, I'm most definitely talking about the PR aspect of everything. If Richardson really is their #2 candidate, then what went down with Babcock doesn't change that. But that doesn't make it an easy sell publicly.

anyone else think Nolan may have a bit of a smile on his face this afternoon?

That being said, I'm not bothered at all that Babcock isn't coming to Buffalo and may actually turn into a good thing in the long term. The 2 gold medals don't impress me at all as most anyone could have coached that team to the Gold and really hasn't done much with the Wings over the last few years.

I think we got our wires cross somewhere, but yes, I'm most definitely talking about the PR aspect of everything. If Richardson really is their #2 candidate, then what went down with Babcock doesn't change that. But that doesn't make it an easy sell publicly.

Possibly.  I'm very tired and should probably not post much right now.  Although, I will say that, PR-wise, it shouldn't matter who they hire, they just went through two-years plus of tanking and got away with it.  Yeah, a Babcock hire, on paper, would have been a nice reward to the fans (PR-wise, although as it turns out, I think Babcock is sleazy).  But, just like they were patient and careful with the PR during the tank, they can do the same for Richardson, so long as Richardson can actually bring the results.

Mind you, I'm not advocating for Richardson - just taking up and defending the position.

That being said, I'm not bothered at all that Babcock isn't coming to Buffalo and may actually turn into a good thing in the long term. The 2 gold medals don't impress me at all as most anyone could have coached that team to the Gold and really hasn't done much with the Wings over the last few years.

Maybe I'm petty, but I hope Kessel and Phaneuf hate Babcock and make his life miserable. Wait, that's not petty. I hate the Leafs and now he's one of them.

Of the names being tossed around right now I only have any interest in Richardson and Bylsma. I hope we speak with some junior coaches and look at some names that we haven't heard yet because the available list isn't impressive.

It's interesting how hockey isn't like the NFL and there aren't hot young assistant coaches on other teams people talk about getting. I'm only hearing about former head coaches and AHL coaches.

Remember that Lindy was just an assistant with the Panthers before we made him head coach.

Tough sell getting rid of talent now for a complete re build after signing MB. Hot mess for years there likely.

Our coaching candidates are now:

Torts

Maclean

Marc Crawford

Mike Keenan

Paul McGuire.

Ducks and runs for cover.

Tough sell getting rid of talent now for a complete re build after signing MB. Hot mess for years there likely.

Our coaching candidates are now:

Torts

Maclean

Marc Crawford

Mike Keenan

Paul McGuire.

Ducks and runs for cover.

Torts. Bring it on.

Edited by 716

I'm all for Luke Richardson now. He's the obvious name with the connection with Tim Murray, but it's not like he doesn't warrant legitimate consideration.

The B-Sens missed the playoffs the year before he arrived and finished with a 29-40-7 record. In his first season he led them to a 44-24-8 record which was good enough for 4th in their conference. That's a 31 point improvement.

He finished with the exact same record the following season. This year the record was down to 34-34-8, but the dip could probably be attributed to Ottawa pulling up Hoffman, Stone and others in large chunks of the season.

He's had a hand in the development of Ben Bishop, Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, Jakob Silfverberg, Shane Prince, JG Pageau, Cody Ceci and Mika Zibanejad. The Hamburglar's numbers weren't nearly as impressive as his NHL numbers are, but he's about the only goalie that didn't have great success under Richardson when given time to do so. Possible Sabres target Robin Lehner also did well in Binghamton.

That's a lot of talent that has gone through Binghamton while Richardson was the coach. Obviously if the talent is there it's hard for them not to succeed, but many of the players above had immediate success once they got to Ottawa. That tells me that he's coaching them up well for future success. To me, that tells me he can coach talented players in the NHL. Most of the forwards are skill guys, but Richardson was rugged player so I'm sure he can coach both styles when asked to do so. Also, looking at that list, I think Ennis and Reinhart would thrive under Richardson. Goaltending doesn't seem like an issue for his teams.

Looking at the stats of players he has coached in Binghamton:

Mark Stone - Year 1: 15-23-38 in 54 games Year 2: 15-26-41 in 37 games then 26-38-64 in his first full NHL season

Mike Hoffman - Year 1: 13-15-28 in 41 games (this was his 3rd AHL season) Year 2: 30-37-67 in 51 games then 27-21-48 in his first full NHL season

Jakob Silfverberg - Year 1: 13-16-29 in 34 games before being called up to Ottawa for the remainder of the season where he put up 10-9-19 in 48 games

Shane Prince - Year 1: 18-17-35 in 65 games Year 2: 21-27-48 in 69 games Year 3: 28-37-65 in 72 games plus 2 NHL games

Matt Puempel - Year 1: 1-0-1 in 9 games Year 2: 30-18-48 in 74 games Year 3: 12-20-32 in 51 games plus 13 NHL games

JG Pageau - Year 1: 7-22-29 in 69 games with 9 NHL games Year 2: 20-24-44 in 46 games with 28 NHL games Year 3: 11-10-21 in 27 games with 10-9-19 in 50 NHL games
Ben Bishop - .909 NHL save percentage in 10 games prior to working with Richardson in 2012; .922 NHL save percentage in 13 games after spending time with Richardson the following year

He's also battled some personal adversity that hits home for me... http://www.difd.com/

Edited by Hoss

I will say, and this feels weird, but...Edmonton looks really smart right now for snatching up the #2 coach on the market (in my view, anyway) while everybody else falls over themselves for Babcock.

Agree