The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Early reports coming out of Toronto are that Babcock is leaning towards taking a short-term deal with Detroit, which IMO would be dumb on his part as it seems there's no long term plan there as the talent is getting past it's prime and they need to reload. What I find interesting is that former Penguins coach, Dan Bylsma, has not signed on anywhere. I wonder if the Pegula's reached out to him, told him their plans with Babcock and if that didn't work out, they would bring him in and give him a hefty raise?

If I'm TP I hire Bylsma before Babcock reveals his decision. This has already taken on a LeBron-James-free-agency vibe. I don't want the team to be tarnished by Babcock turning us down. It makes any coaching hire we make look like a runner up. Didn't we just go through that with the draft lottery? Edited by Promonov Robotnik

If I'm TP I hire Bylsma before Babcock reveals his decision. This had already taken on a LeBron-James-free-agency vibe. I don't want the team to be tarnished by Babcock turning us down. It makes any coaching hour we make look like a runner up. Didn't we just go through that with the draft lottery?

If Babcock picks another city, some of what you write may be true.

However, if Babcock remains in Detroit, effectively rejecting everyone that is not his home, our next coach does NOT look like a runner up.  IMO.

So, in the modern era, only one coach has won Stanley Cups with more than one team, Scotty Bowman. Do we really think that Babcock is that second guy to do it? Or even Bylsma? Does this fact even matter? I'm pretty indifferent to Babs, but Bowman is a freak of nature and I just don't see that same drive in Babcock to will a team to a SC for a second time.

And no offense to the womenfolk out there (especially since today is my 19th wedding anniversary), but I don't want to hear that his wife is playing a part in his decision if the goal is to win a SC.

Interesting stat

If I'm TP I hire Bylsma before Babcock reveals his decision. This has already taken on a LeBron-James-free-agency vibe. I don't want the team to be tarnished by Babcock turning us down. It makes any coaching hire we make look like a runner up. Didn't we just go through that with the draft lottery?

It wouldn't change the perception. People would see right through it.

I'm trying to hold my fire. But, geez, how many people can look at the situation in Buffalo and say, "Nah..." I'd even count Lindy and Darcy in that group.

If I'm TP I hire Bylsma before Babcock reveals his decision. This has already taken on a LeBron-James-free-agency vibe. I don't want the team to be tarnished by Babcock turning us down. It makes any coaching hire we make look like a runner up. Didn't we just go through that with the draft lottery?

I don't particularly care if the new coach looks like a runner-up as long as he's the right coach.

There are 30 NHL head coaching jobs in the world.  We really think someone will be all bitchy because they got 1 of those jobs but the team went after another guy?  If that is the case I don't want Mr. Bitchy as my coach anyways. 

I'm trying to hold my fire. But, geez, how many people can look at the situation in Buffalo and say, "Nah..." I'd even count Lindy and Darcy in that group.

I admire your commitment to posting long after your credibility on this topic went up in flames.

I'm going off McKenzie's report that Babock is staying put.

If he says that on the eve of Babcock's decision, it's probably accurate.

I should have been more clear.  What I was hinting at there was if Babcock intends on signing a short term deal, he may very well not want to be in Detroit much longer.  That would probably encourage the team to be a little more careful with Blashill and try to prolong his status as heir.

What does this mean?  That Darcy and Lindy would join the Sabres if offered jobs there? 

I like how some posters are all of a sudden touting Blashill as their #1 choice if Babcock stays in Detroit.  Up until a few weeks ago, I'd be shocked if more than a handful of posters had ever heard of Blashill(myself included).

He wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Edited by LabattBlue

I should have been more clear.  What I was hinting at there was if Babcock intends on signing a short term deal, he may very well not want to be in Detroit much longer.  That would probably encourage the team to be a little more careful with Blashill and try to prolong his status as heir.

I see.

I don't know about the so-called "short term" deal.  We'll find out soon enough I guess.

But if Babcock re-signs, even for 2 years, Blashill will be gone.

That's just my opinion.

I like how some posters are all of a sudden touting Blashill as their #1 choice if Babcock stays in Detroit.  Up until a few weeks ago, I'd be shocked if more than a handful of posters had ever heard of Blashill(myself included).

Agreed. I think I would prefer a more established coach coming in. If we were to go the AHL potential route, I think that would be Rochardson based on the TM connection.

McKenzie just tweeted to the effect that the conventional wisdom says Babcock is staying in DET . . .

"But I have to tell you, based strictly on not much more than instincts, I could see Babcock ending up in BUF. Like I said, just a hunch."

"If I had to bet big bucks of my own money, I'd probably wager DET. If I could lay down a loonie or twoonie with a big payoff, I'd pick BUF."

Apparently it has come out that the Buffalo offer is $6 million + per year.

That's also from McKenzie.

You gotta love T.Pegs.  At least he's trying.

Edited by Kruppstahl

Not sure how closely you follow hockey; Blashill has been a top up and coming coaching name for a long time.

Apparently it has come out that the Buffalo offer is $6 million + per year.

That's also from McKenzie.

McKenzie?

Here's where I saw it today:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/600679437902950401

Up until a few weeks ago, I'd be shocked if more than a handful of posters had ever heard of Blashill(myself included).

Not sure how closely you follow hockey; Blashill has been a top up and coming coaching name for a long time.

Never a good look. I follow the game fairly closely -- never heard of the guy.

I see.

I don't know about the so-called "short term" deal.  We'll find out soon enough I guess.

But if Babcock re-signs, even for 2 years, Blashill will be gone.

That's just my opinion.

You chose an interesting term length there.  2 years is exactly what is left on Blashill's contract.

I like how some posters are all of a sudden touting Blashill as their #1 choice if Babcock stays in Detroit. Up until a few weeks ago, I'd be shocked if more than a handful of posters had ever heard of Blashill(myself included).

I'm a season ticket holder of a team that has played Grand Rapids a lot (Texas). His team's always play you tough and are always ready to go. They were the #1 team I didn't want to play in the playoffs.

I think he's a really solid coach.

McKenzie?

Here's where I saw it today:

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/600679437902950401

Never a good look. I follow the game fairly closely -- never heard of the guy.

Well then he must be entirely unknown to all!

You chose an interesting term length there.  2 years is exactly what is left on Blashill's contract.

Holland recently said that if Babcock returns, Blashill will not be prevented from moving forward with his career.

I hope he comes here, as my #2 choice Todd McLellan is off the table.