The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

My comment was about apparent League-wide interest in him. The Ottawa thing only explains Murray's interest.

Wouldn't St. Louis just be a lateral step? They seem to be in almost identical condition as Detroit. Pietrangelo > DeKeyser, but I don't see much difference outside of that.

Hopefully Babcock feels the same way.

Blues express interest in #redwings coach Mike Babcock. stltoday.com/sports/hockey/… #stlblues

So now we've got legitimate reports of St. Louis and San Jose. Paul Hamilton cautions of reports this late in the game. I'm sure these teams saw that interview and thought "oh ######, we've got to get it together on this." I don't think San Jose has a shot, but I do believe St. Louis could make some noise if they're willing to pay.

Friedman just tweeted that the Sharks have indeed agreed to compensation on Babcock if they hire him, like Buffalo and Toronto.

Edited by Hoss

I think the fact that he is meeting with San Jose makes me feel better that he actually might leave Detroit.

It should also make you think that the other options he currently has, including the Sabres, aren't the answer to what he is looking for.

Edited by dudacek

Or he just wants to explore every option while continuing to gain leverage.

Maybe. Hopefully the Sabres have a better understanding of the situation from within though. Either way, it'd still be smart for the Sabres to stay on course by waiting for Babcock but i feel they'd also be wise if they started to look for other options as well. Unless they already have?

Maybe. Hopefully the Sabres have a better understanding of the situation from within though. Either way, it'd still be smart for the Sabres to stay on course by waiting for Babcock but i feel they'd also be wise if they started to look for other options as well. Unless they already have?

They should have talked to numerous candidates by now.

There is no confirmation they have though.

It should also make you think that the other options he currently has, including the Sabres, aren't the answer to what he is looking for.

This. Times 1,000.

If we threw everything at him including the kitchen sink and he is still heading out to SJ....it means he ain't coming here.

This isn't a true/false thing where he just keeps running until he hits "true". He's gonna explore his options, it's likely the biggest decision of his career and probably one of the biggest in his life. 

This isn't a true/false thing where he just keeps running until he hits "true". He's gonna explore his options, it's likely the biggest decision of his career and probably one of the biggest in his life.

Totally agree with this. Yes, it means that the Pegulas didn't convince him to stop looking like they did with Rexy, but that doesn't at all mean that Buffalo is out of it.

And while SJ is by far the nicest location for non-hockey factors, I don't think either SJ or STL will come close to paying what it will cost to get him.

Totally agree with this. Yes, it means that the Pegulas didn't convince him to stop looking like they did with Rexy, but that doesn't at all mean that Buffalo is out of it.

And while SJ is by far the nicest location for non-hockey factors, I don't think either SJ or STL will come close to paying what it will cost to get him.

To add, if you read the article, SJ isn't really Babcock's ideal situation:  if he has a problem with the Wing's aging core, he'll have a similar problem in SJ.  The owner is not likely to pony up the bread like Pegula can and will, and his buddy, McLellan, says SJ is in a "prolonged rebuild". 

Frankly, I don't care for California as a destination, let alone a state to consider living in, so, I would disagree that it's "by far the nicest location for non-hockey factors".

To add, if you read the article, SJ isn't really Babcock's ideal situation: if he has a problem with the Wing's aging core, he'll have a similar problem in SJ. The owner is not likely to pony up the bread like Pegula can and will, and his buddy, McLellan, says SJ is in a "prolonged rebuild".

Frankly, I don't care for California as a destination, let alone a state to consider living in, so, I would disagree that it's "by far the nicest location for non-hockey factors".

Have you been to Big Sur or Carmel? Freaking incredible.