2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

I'd be downright furious if they trade Girgs and tempted to honestly demand GMTM fired by any and all means. Unless he literally gets OEL or McDavid for him I want nothing to do with trading him.

I'm curious as to why. Because of our roster, his play, or his cost/our cap?

I'd be downright furious if they trade Girgs and tempted to honestly demand GMTM fired by any and all means. Unless he literally gets OEL or McDavid for him I want nothing to do with trading him.

He made a huge leap quickly from the USHL to the AHL to the NHL, he was a shining light during last year's tank, and I believe his offense was neutered by Bylsma trying to turn him into Jordan Staal...I get all of that. But let's not get carried away here--the guy has 64 points in 178 career games and has battled injuries thus far in his career. 

He made a huge leap quickly from the USHL to the AHL to the NHL, he was a shining light during last year's tank, and I believe his offense was neutered by Bylsma trying to turn him into Jordan Staal...I get all of that. But let's not get carried away here--the guy has 64 points in 178 career games and has battled injuries thus far in his career. 

I'm curious as to why. Because of our roster, his play, or his cost/our cap?

Mainly because he's my favorite player, and is what made the last two years tolerable. Additionally he's the only winger thus far who has played well with Eichel not name Reinhart and has all the makings of a solid all around player. Not to mention he screams great playoffs player. It might be different if he was horrid all year, but he's seemingly getting better again and I just don't want to see him tear up in the West because of his sheer determination. Honestly I hate trading Ennis as well but at very least he seems slightly off what the team is looking to build towards.  

But has he ever missed as many consecutive games as McDavid has? Has McDavid represented his team at the Olympics? We know the answers to these questions. #McZemgus

Edit - For the record, Wookie, I really like Girgs, too.

Edited by Thorny

Mainly because he's my favorite player, and is what made the last two years tolerable. Additionally he's the only winger thus far who has played well with Eichel not name Reinhart and has all the makings of a solid all around player. Not to mention he screams great playoffs player. It might be different if he was horrid all year, but he's seemingly getting better again and I just don't want to see him tear up in the West because of his sheer determination. Honestly I hate trading Ennis as well but at very least he seems slightly off what the team is looking to build towards.  

+1:  He's the type of player you build around.  He doesn't complain either.  Whether it's first through third line, center or winger he's a consummate pro.  He's shown nothing but class and continues to work day in and day out.  He's having a tough year in the stats, but I can not see this team without him.  He plays well away from the puck and has skated well with Eichel.  Do not trade him! 

Franson and ROR not at practice today

Any sign of Bogosian?

Lehner in net tomorrow

Good. Get him ready for October.

This team could get to ~20th before the year is done. I don't expect the deadline day selloff to torpedo the last month because other than McGinn there really aren't any "important" pieces that will be gone. And 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, or Fasching will get a chance to audition for that #2 wing role (whether or not McGinn comes back this summer).

Any sign of Bogosian?

This team could get to ~20th before the year is done. I don't expect the deadline day selloff to torpedo the last month because other than McGinn there really aren't any "important" pieces that will be gone. And 1 of Bailey, Baptiste, or Fasching will get a chance to audition for that #2 wing role (whether or not McGinn comes back this summer).

Per reports Bogo was out there

Any sign of Bogosian?

Lets hope not, team still doesn't have depth and I see there being 7 high end guys in this years draft - important to get one of them. Plus coming 10th would kill almost all hope of the lottery balls falling in our favor. Top 3 picks have "elite" potential.

The Sabres have very little ammo for a trade to bring in another Top Pair D or top 6 F and there definitely isn't one available (outside Stamkos) in FA.

There is no prize for finishing 20th in a 30 team league - much better off to finish 25th or lower IMO.

Lets hope not, team still doesn't have depth and I see there being 7 high end guys in this years draft - important to get one of them. Plus coming 10th would kill almost all hope of the lottery balls falling in our favor. Top 3 picks have "elite" potential.

The Sabres have very little ammo for a trade to bring in another Top Pair D or top 6 F and there definitely isn't one available (outside Stamkos) in FA.

There is no prize for finishing 20th in a 30 team league - much better off to finish 25th or lower IMO.

There is no prize for finishing 20th. Tis true. But they have a pretty easy schedule down the stretch and there is something seriously wrong if they do finish down where you want them.

They were losing games they shouldn't around New Years Day. Give them ~7 more points to this point & they'd just barely miss the playoffs this year and would have gone through a meaningful stretch run.

They have 3 guys that should be legit top 6 w/in 2 more seasons (Eichel, O'Reilly, & Reinhart). Girgensons looks like, though he's more naturally a 3W, a great fit w/ Eichel & Kane seems to be able to either fit in on O'Reilly's wing or giving a top 2 presence to the 3rd line. If Fasching, Bailey, or Baptiste pans out; though it would be good to have another top 6 winger and great to have a true top line sniper, a lack of that won't doom these guys to bridesmaid status.

They do need another 2/3 D-man to pair w/ Ristoleinen but I trust TM can figure out a way of getting him (if he isn't already in the system) enough that getting him at the top of this draft isn't worth watching enough L's to make that bottom 5 finish a reality.

Ya, I am completely in agreement with Taro's response there. Can't really add too much. We don't need to draft one of the top 7 players this year to be successful going forward. A very strong finish could easily mean we are in better shape going forward than we would be if we had a bad finish, but got another high pick.

To the bolded, isn't Boedker a FA this summer? He's a top 6 talent.

Boedker's Analytics are not that good. His goals per 60 mins stat is .46 per War-On-Ice putting him at a ranking of 182 out of forwards at 5 v 5. This would probably improve on Eichel's Wing, but based on the fact that he is going command a minimum of 5.5 million per year, he would be a very risky signing.

Please explain....

Just saying I want better than Boedker in the top 6 when this team is ready to become a real contender for the cup.

I think the there are 6 forwards in the draft who project to be much better players that Boedker and I want one of them on the Sabres. A high draft pick (Top 7) will be much more beneficial to the Sabres long term than an extra 4 or 5 wins in a season when the team isn't going to make the play-offs.

If we had a guy in Rochester that was ready to step into a top 6 spot next year that would be different. There just isn't a guy right now who we can bank on anywhere in the current prospect pool and believe me- I really like Bailey, Fasching and Baptiste.  

Edited by Crusader1969

Just saying I want better than Boedker in the top 6 when this team is ready to become a real contender for the cup.

I think the there are 6 forwards in the draft who project to be much better players that Boedker and I want one of them on the Sabres. A high draft pick (Top 7) will be much more beneficial to the Sabres long term than an extra 4 or 5 wins in a season when the team isn't going to make the play-offs.

If we had a guy in Rochester that was ready to step into a top 6 spot next year that would be different. There just isn't a guy right now who we can bank on anywhere in the current prospect pool and believe me- I really like Bailey, Fasching and Baptiste.  

If every single player in your top six is better than Mikkel Boedker it's because you're an Olympic team.

Also, the guys in the draft and the guys in Rochester likely won't be ready to have nearly the type of impact Boedker has for a few years. I love Bailey, Fasching and Baptiste. I could see Bailey and Fasching on the team next season, but I don't see them as being ready to be true top-six players. They may get top-six minutes but I don't think they'll play more important roles on a team than Boedker.

Am I wrong for getting the vibe that you're arguing against acquiring Boedker during this season? The idea of getting Boedker focuses on signing him as a free agent. I think it would be a mistake to give up assets for him on an expiring contract right now, and I think most here would agree with that (maybe all?).

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.