Puck Daddy says GMTM's desire for Luke Richardson as coach

SDS

is the worst kept secret in hockey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evander-kane-trade-analysis--sabres-follow-la-kings-template--tad-prematurely-211145014.html

(And while Myers will have Charlie Huddy as a role model, the worst kept secret in hockey is Tim Murray’s desire to have Luke Richardson as his coach in Buffalo – a very nice mentor for a player like Bogosian.)

I know this was briefly suggested in another thread, but this is something that deserves its own space.

I don't think you can keep a coach after a season like this, even if you set them up to fail. I know it would be a terrible move against Nolan, especially after what Regier did to him in his first stint here, but Murray said he wants a quick rebuild, and if you're getting Kane + Reinhart + McEichel in here next year you need to drastically change the culture of losing that has been bred for 2 years in there. Getting rid of Nolan says we're changing, no more of this ######. Murray has shown that if he wants someone, he gets them, no matter what. I think Nolan's gone

If Tippet or Babcock are available, I'd rather have them, I don't know enough about Richardson yet (do some more research this weekend when I have some time). 

Edited by WildCard

Some snippets from Wikipedia:

"Luke Richardson was selected 7th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft after two successful seasons with the Peterborough Petes of the OHL. Midway through his rookie NHL season, on January 6, 1988, Richardson was the victim of an infamous attack from Dino Ciccarelli of the Minnesota North Stars, who clubbed him over the head several times with his stick. Ciccarelli was later convicted of assault, serving one day in jail and paying a fine of $1000 (Canadian). However, the assault had no discernible effects on the play of Richardson. He remained a regular on the Toronto blueline until 1991 when he was involved in a blockbuster trade, moving to the Edmonton Oilers along with Vincent Damphousse, Scott Thornton, Peter Ing, future considerations, and cash in exchange for Grant Fuhr, Glenn Anderson and Craig Berube."

"During his rookie season as head coach, Richardson led an inexperienced Binghamton team to a 44-24-1-7 record, finishing fourth in the AHL's Eastern Conference.[4] He was named coach of the AHL Eastern Conference all-star team in 2012-13 after guiding the Senators to the conference's best record at the all-star break.[4] The Senators' organization subsequently rewarded Richardson with a contract extension through the 2014-15 season.[4]"

"On September 27, 2008, Richardson re-signed with Ottawa to a one year, two-way contract. During the 2008–09 season, and being used primarily as a reserve defenceman, Richardson announced his retirement as a player on November 27, 2008, having played in just two games that season, with the intentions of pursuing a coaching career.[3] He was hired as an assistant coach by the Senators later that season. After three seasons as an assistant coach in Ottawa, Richardson joined the Binghamton Senators, Ottawa's top minor league affiliate, as head coach."

"On November 13, 2010, his daughter Daron committed suicide at the Richardson family home in Ottawa, Ontario. On November 18, 2010, 5,600 mourners attended a celebration of life ceremony for Daron at Scotiabank Place.[5] Of note, the Philadelphia Flyers (one of Luke Richardson's former teams) held a moment of silence for Daron before their game against the Senators on November 15.[6]"

"During the 2011–12 Canada women's national ice hockey team season, his daughter Morgan was a member of the Canadian National Under 18 team that participated in a three game series vs. the USA in August 2011.[8]"

So then, what would be your thoughts on Luke Richardson?

There was talk that Richardson was getting the job right after Murray got hired. I always believed that he would eventually be Murray's guy and my belief is further strengthened every time Murray discussed Nolan.

Don't know much about Richardson the coach, remember him as a player. Right now TM has my unconditional support and I make no secret of not being a Nolan fan.

There was talk that Richardson was getting the job right after Murray got hired. I always believed that he would eventually be Murray's guy and my belief is further strengthened every time Murray discussed Nolan.

Don't know much about Richardson the coach, remember him as a player. Right now TM has my unconditional support and I make no secret of not being a Nolan fan.

I remember the Richardson talk when Murray was hired also. Not a fan of Nolan either...all he says is try harder. I know the team stinks but try something different...play a defensive game...something other than giving up 40 shots a game

Richardson played 1417 games over 22 seasons in the NHL, before finishing up his last two seasons in Ottawa.  Ottawa nominated him for the Masterson.  He worked as an assistant coach there from '09-'12 under Clouston and MacLean.  He was promoted to the head coach of the Bingo Sens when Kleinendorst left to coach UAH.  The Sun thought he'd be a good replacement for Paul MacLean before Dave Cameron was named coach in December.

Of sad note, Luke and Stephanie Richardson lost their daughter Daron in 2010 to suicide.

Richardson's contract with Ottawa to coach Bingo is up at the end of the season.

edit: Scott's faster.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I don't think you can keep a coach after a season like this, even if you set them up to fail. I know it would be a terrible move against Nolan, especially after what Regier did to him in his first stint here, but Murray said he wants a quick rebuild, and if you're getting Kane + Reinhart + McEichel in here next year you need to drastically change the culture of losing that has been bred for 2 years in there. Getting rid of Nolan says we're changing, no more of this ######. Murray has shown that if he wants someone, he gets them, no matter what. I think Nolan's gone

If Tippet or Babcock are available, I'd rather have them, I don't know enough about Richardson yet (do some more research this weekend when I have some time). 

I dont agree with this. Nolan has repeatedly benched or yelled at or skated hard players or the team because of poor effort and losing ways.  I don't think there is a culture of losing in that locker room, I just think they lack the talent to win.  

That said I really don't care who is the coach because I think Buffalo's problem is talent not coaching.

I dont agree with this. Nolan has repeatedly benched or yelled at or skated hard players or the team because of poor effort and losing ways.  I don't think there is a culture of losing in that locker room, I just think they lack the talent to win.  

That said I really don't care who is the coach because I think Buffalo's problem is talent not coaching.

It's the "same different day" type of deal with Nolan. I'm not saying keeping him sends the message that we're going to tank again, I'm saying getting rid of him brings a fresh slate.

I still have no idea who Nolan agreed to a contract.  It has played out perfectly for Murray.  Whether he wants Richardson or someone else, that coach didn't get saddled with this miserable season and instead gets to come in with a deeper talent pool and a team that now wants to win games.  The only risk they ran was losing out on their choice while they sat back and waited for a year.

I was about to write that there is NFW that Babcock comes here -- but then I thought that if a 20% longshot comes in -- maybe, maybe...

This season has not helped Nolan's chances of being here after locker cleanout day.

And nothing Murray has said, particularly yesterday, should make him feel any more comfortable.

Watching TM yesterday made me pretty convinced that Teddy is a goner.

Nolan is probably pissed that they traded Myers and Stafford. He will get to walk with 6 mil or so and concentrate on the Latvian team.

Why would he care about this?

If I have to guess, I think Nolan will be promoted to some role in player management and a cushy office where he heads the Player Moral Division of the Sabres.

To me Nolan and Murray have enough common ground that I'd think Murray would want to keep him around for both the players, and another person to get opinions from.

Mainly however, I think they will give him a new job to eliminate the problems that might arise if Nolan were fired/ bought out. Think of what they did with Kevyn Adams. Since I doubt Nolan gets a job elsewhere, he could work with the Sabres part time and when he needs to go work on Latvian stuff, he can. Plus in this case we have the chance to hold onto any of the assistants we want and the players stay happy 

is the worst kept secret in hockey.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/evander-kane-trade-analysis--sabres-follow-la-kings-template--tad-prematurely-211145014.html

I know this was briefly suggested in another thread, but this is something that deserves its own space.

And really.. who is going to argue that you created a new thread for this right? :)

I think Nolan is great at building relationships with players.  I think players genuinely want to play for him.  That said.. he's just not as gifted as other coaches in the semantics of the game.

To me Nolan and Murray have enough common ground that I'd think Murray would want to keep him around for both the players, and another person to get opinions from.

Really? I don't see that at all.

Mainly however, I think they will give him a new job to eliminate the problems that might arise if Nolan were fired/ bought out.

This I can see, but if they keep him on in a non-coaching capacity I just don't see him as one of GMTM's inner circle.

If I have to guess, I think Nolan will be promoted to some role in player management and a cushy office where he heads the Player Moral Division of the Sabres.

Mainly however, I think they will give him a new job to eliminate the problems that might arise if Nolan were fired/ bought out. Think of what they did with Kevyn Adams. Since I doubt Nolan gets a job elsewhere, he could work with the Sabres part time and when he needs to go work on Latvian stuff, he can. Plus in this case we have the chance to hold onto any of the assistants we want and the players stay happy 

What common ground? LaFontaine hired him and Murray kept him when he realized how bad we would be for a couple of years. I see no attachment and no front office job for Nolan after this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.