Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Now just imagine if the NFL was like the other leagues and had far more games.  Just think of the massive number of horrible calls we'd be exposed to.  I know we get a ton of ref complaints out of hockey games, but my god, the NFL is on a whole different level.

But I think Rob nailed it. People have so much skin in these games, in various ways, that there's outrage after every penalty. Not only is the game unwatchable, but watching the games with others is pretty hard to stomach.

It's not the skin in the game, it's the inability as a fan to distinguish a great play from a bad one.

We have wait for someone else to tell us and the great exhilaration of sport, the thrill of that special moment, is gone.

Corey Graham's pass break-up being exhibit A.

That stadium was 35-40% Bills fans.  Impressive effort.

Easily.  I'm rewatching the game in a sober state today and on TV you can't tell just how many Bills fans were there.  The upper deck was probably 80% Bills fans.  It was pretty much a home game.

Downtown Nashville was a drunken Bills pep rally all weekend!

Easily.  I'm rewatching the game in a sober state today and on TV you can't tell just how many Bills fans were there.  The upper deck was probably 80% Bills fans.  It was pretty much a home game.

Downtown Nashville was a drunken Bills pep rally all weekend!

Yeah it was hard for me to tell how the upper deck looked being in a party suite, but I had many locals stop me on Saturday and ask why there were so many Bills fans in town.  They said they'd never seen anything like it.

most other teams would have been able to take advantage of he Bills first 3 quarters of struggling offensively.

2 quarters.  Their second possession of the third quarter was an 80 yard drive for a TD.

It's probably not often that a defense is on the field the field for 21 minutes in the first half and only allows 3 points.

It's not the skin in the game, it's the inability as a fan to distinguish a great play from a bad one.

We have wait for someone else to tell us and the great exhilaration of sport, the thrill of that special moment, is gone.

Corey Graham's pass break-up being exhibit A.

Good explanation. There's no joy when you always have to look around for a flag after a great play. 

Yeah, slow the game down more and they still get reviews wrong quite often, so this practically solves little.

I don't have the numbers at hand but I would guess the rate of the calls being corrected by replay is very high, when they can be corrected. There are some plays that replay can not provide a clear answer either way. For the most part instant replay has upgraded the officiating in the NFL greatly. 

As far as slowing the game down, I'd gladly give up another 15-20 minutes of viewing time to make sure the calls are right. Sunday afternoons are dedicated to football starting in September and ending in February, so a few extra minutes of game time  means nothing.  

So I got an expected treat for the game.  The day before (during the Sabres game), I got a FB message from my cousin; I probably haven't seen this guy in 20 years or more.  He said he's in town and was planning to watch the game at Buffalo Bros (the Billsbackers bar near my house).  So I met him over there and we watched the game together.  So awesome.

Cousin Jerry on the left, me on the right:

12096595_882477735134451_814842850324097

And a group pic- the others are a guy Jerry grew up with in Buffalo, plus his son and future daughter-in-law.

12122488_10103646230122568_4847965773094

My cousin said the atmosphere is so good at Buffalo Bros, that if the Bills make the playoffs he's coming here for the first playoff game.  He lives in Tampa and says that the Billsbackers bar there is full of retirees who are drinking coffee by halftime.

Edited by Robins Egg

I see a ton of posts about these Buffalo bars all over the South, why is that? Is that common from SC down? Do other cold weather teams have that, like are there Boston bars, and Pittsburgh bars?

Close to my house, there is only Buffalo Bros.  And really, being a yankee bar is good enough.  Buffalo Bros is filled with Bills fans, but you usually see a smattering of Ravens, Packers and.... well.... Patriots fans as well.  Buffalo Bros really distinguishes itself a few ways:  1) Official DFW BIllsbackers bar; 2) The food; 3) The atmosphere, which is typical of a Buffalo neighborhood tavern.

I think there are some Boston- and Chicago-themed places around, but not too close (next town over maybe).  I travel to Orlando for business and apparently the place to watch the Bills there, from what I've heard, is a place called The Friendly Confines (a reference to Wrigley Field) which is primarily a Chicago bar.  If you're in the south, the familiarity of being around yankees is welcome, at least every once in a while.

Oh, the one exception is NYC-themed bars.  They just seem to attract dooshbags.

So I got an expected treat for the game. The day before (during the Sabres game), I got a FB message from my cousin; I probably haven't seen this guy in 20 years or more. He said he's in town and was planning to watch the game at Buffalo Bros (the Billsbackers bar near my house). So I met him over there and we watched the game together. So awesome.

Cousin Jerry on the left, me on the right:

12096595_882477735134451_814842850324097

And a group pic- the others are a guy Jerry grew up with in Buffalo, plus his son and future daughter-in-law.

12122488_10103646230122568_4847965773094

My cousin said the atmosphere is so good at Buffalo Bros, that if the Bills make the playoffs he's coming here for the first playoff game. He lives in Tampa and says that the Billsbackers bar there is full of retirees who are drinking coffee by halftime.

O'Brien's in Brandon?

Edited by N'eo

I see a ton of posts about these Buffalo bars all over the South, why is that? Is that common from SC down? Do other cold weather teams have that, like are there Boston bars, and Pittsburgh bars?

Yes, I was in a bar called the Turtle Bar north of Tampa, all about Green bay Packers. Fun bar, nice people. They liked the Bills cause the fans had the same mentality (small city, bad rap, us against the world ect..)

The Steelers are every where. Dad's wife is a Steelers fan, they have hang outs all over. 

Another group of people that are every where are WVU fans. My brother was a WVU graduate, an in any given city in America there is a WVU party going on in a bar during a game. I have to say WVU fans are party rock stars.

I think it's largely a thing with the number of people that have moved away from Buffalo. I run into people either from Buffalo or some sort of "my relation is from there" all the time. There are a couple of places around Philly that will always have the Buffalo game on.

I think it's largely a thing with the number of people that have moved away from Buffalo. I run into people either from Buffalo or some sort of "my relation is from there" all the time. There are a couple of places around Philly that will always have the Buffalo game on.

What's going to happen when all these people decide to move back? Buffalo is on the rise and the housing market is on the cusp of a real boom. I just wish I was 20 years younger to take real advantage of it. 

Oh yeah... there were a couple of Eagles fans in the bar Sunday too. When something happened the one fan didn't like, she let an F-bomb drop and everyone looked at her and someone said, "You can't swear like that in here unless you're a Bills fan!" ;)

What's going to happen when all these people decide to move back? Buffalo is on the rise and the housing market is on the cusp of a real boom. I just wish I was 20 years younger to take real advantage of it.

I used to have fantasies of moving back to WNY at some point. 6 feet of snow in a day kind of killed that desire.

Edited by Robins Egg

Tampa has many Bills and Steeler bars. Other fans assemble, but those two teams are common for large crowds.

We have a lot of Green Bay and Patriot fans, too, but I've not seen them command whole bars, or whole sections, week to week. Fans of the Steelers and Bills do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.