Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Per reports, the Bills have claimed WR Leonard Hankerson from the Pats. He's a good depth WR, but this move is mainly to troll the Pats who apparently planned to re-sign him once he cleared waivers.

He's a free agent after this season, but I like the idea of trying to sign him for another season.

There's also a lot of talk that the Bills may target a WR in the first or second round this year, as well.

Per reports, the Bills have claimed WR Leonard Hankerson from the Pats. He's a good depth WR, but this move is mainly to troll the Pats who apparently planned to re-sign him once he cleared waivers.

He's a free agent after this season, but I like the idea of trying to sign him for another season.

There's also a lot of talk that the Bills may target a WR in the first or second round this year, as well.

I really hope this is true :lol:

As to the draft...if we take one in the 1st I may snap, but I do think upgrading Woods/Hogan needs to be a priority.

Please dear God, do not let them turn into (or complete the transformation to, whatever) the Detroit Lions East & take another 1st round wideout. 3 consecutive #1's spent on WR is faaaaar too many.

They need to replace Harvin somehow, and Wood isn't it.

So this guy or someone in the 2-3 round.  1st round should be OL.  A Q somewhere in 2-3 as well.  Maybe 4, given this crappy class.

Going to take a slightly different angle at the roster/needs breakdown heading into the offseason. Probably doing it for my own entertainment, but that's fine.

Here's what I think the roster will look like purely with the obvious keepers (bolding positions we're set at):

QB – Tyrod Taylor
RB – LeSean McCoy, Karlos Williams (keep Mike Gilislee)
WR – Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Marcus Easley
TE – Charles Clay (add backups)
LT – 
LG – 
C – Eric Wood (add backups)

RG – John Miller (add backups - he'll get another chance after bad rookie year)

RT – 
DE – Jerry Hughes
DT – Marcell Dareus
OLB – Manny Lawson, Randell Johnson, AJ Tarpley
MLB – Preston Brown, Tony Steward
CB – Stephon Gilmore, Ronald Darby, Nickell Robey, Mario Butler (add backups)
SS – Aaron Williams (add backups)

FS – Bacarri Rambo (re-sign)
K – 
P – Colton Schmidt (re-sign)
LS – Garrison Sanborn

We don't actually have THAT many needs and have several backups that we can, will and should keep. This is just a list of the guys with defined rolls on next year's team likely already locked in.

So let's look at the position not bolded above:

QB - This is going to be mostly backups, but Whaley's comment about finding the QB of the future looms large. I expect a vet and a draftee.

5 options: Connor Cook (Rd 1 - Mich St), Carson Wentz (Rd 1/2 NDSU), Christian Hackenberg (Rd 3/4 Penn St), Matt Schaub, Case Keenum

WR - They need another top target and then some depth guys.

5 options: Tyler Boyd (Rd 2 - Pitt), Sterling Shepard (Rd 2 - Oklahoma), Leonard Hankerson, Jermaine Kearse, Chris Hogan

LT - The obvious move here is to re-sign Cordy Glenn. It'll be expensive but he's worth it. Franchise tag could be an option.

5 options: Cordy Glenn, Russell Okung, Kelechi Osemele, Ronnie Stanley (Rd 1 - ND trade up), John Theus (Rd 2/3 - UGA)

LG - Another obvious move: re-sign Richie Incognito. His contract will be interesting. Does Buffalo giving him a chance earn a discount?

5 options: Richie Incognito, Alex Boone, JR Sweezy, Vadal Alexander (Rd 2 - LSU), Spencer Drango (Rd 3 - Baylor)

RT - Seantrel Henderson's disease only further adds to his struggles on the field. They'll need a new starter.

5 options: Jack Conklin (Rd 1 - Mich St), Taylor Decker (Rd 1/2 - Ohio St), Vadal Alexander (Rd 2 - LSU, versatile), Mitchell Schwartz

DE - I highly doubt Mario Williams is brought back. Ineffective and upset with the team. They'll need to look hard here.

5 options: Muhammad Wilkerson (too expensive probably), Jason Jones, Robert Ayers, Shaq Lawson (Rd 1 - Clemson), Carl Nassib (Rd 2 - Penn St)

DT - I don't see them bringing back Kyle Williams. Corbin Bryant has been a huge present here. They need to bring him back.

5 options: Corbin Bryant, Stefan Charles, Brandon Mebane, Mike DeVito, Robert Nkemdiche (Rd 1 - Ole Miss STEAL if he slips for marijuana bust)

OLB - They're going to need to work some magic with the linebacking corps. Bradham looks like a one year wonder of a bad fit. Or both. Lawson needs to stick around, though.

5 options: Bruce Irvin, Noah Spence (Rd 2 - EKU), Su'a Cravens (Rd 1/2 - USC), Delon Jones (Rd 2/3 - LSU),Travis Feeney (Rd 4/5 - Washington)

FS - Rambo reminds me a lot of Jim Leonhard. Creates turnovers but isn't great all-around. They could go committee here.

5 options: Louis Delmas, Rashad Johnson, Jalen Mills (Rd 2/3 - LSU), Deon Bush (Rd 3/4 - Miami) Jordan Lamox (Rd 4/5 - Iowa)

K - Dan Carpenter is still a viable option here, but they could consider a move here. I don't know that they'll want to spend big money on two of my options, though.

5 options: Dan Carpenter, Justin Tucker, Mason Crosby, Greg Zuerlein, Roberto Aguayo (Rd 2 AH KICKER DRAFT)

This was all put together pretty quickly. Didn't put much thought into fit, just some guys I like early on.

Whaley on Tyrod this morning:

Whaley: "You have a team that has a possibility - and I stress possibility - of having a quarterback in the future"

Whaley on Taylor: "It's going to be a maturation process...if he can start moving around in the pocket and finding throwing lanes"

Whaley on whether the Bills will pick a QB: "We'll draft the best player available."

On the defense:

(1/2) Whaley said this AM inconsistency w/D due to Rex adjusting scheme to players & players adjusting to Rex was big reason for struggles

(2/2) Yet when asked if finding guys that fit system was important, he said not main focus since D showed flashes of dominance.. Huh? #Bills

Polian said he's not interested in anything more than the occasional consult, and I think (hope) that boat has sailed.

I don't think any changes are coming, honestly. It's probably the right move because they need to make sweeping changes or nothing at all. Whenever the next regime comes in I want them all to come in together so we know we're getting people who have a similar vision.

Polian said he's not interested in anything more than the occasional consult, and I think (hope) that boat has sailed.

I don't think any changes are coming, honestly. It's probably the right move because they need to make sweeping changes or nothing at all. Whenever the next regime comes in I want them all to come in together so we know we're getting people who have a similar vision.

You may be right, and the consensus among the WNY media members that I've heard seems to be that Whaley will be back. 

I just don't see how, if Whaley and Rex are both back and there is no new leadership at the top, anyone can expect the team to improve next year.

You may be right, and the consensus among the WNY media members that I've heard seems to be that Whaley will be back. 

I just don't see how, if Whaley and Rex are both back and there is no new leadership at the top, anyone can expect the team to improve next year.

It's not hard to construct a reasonable scenario where they're better next season. That you can't says more about where you're at mentally with the team than it does about where the team is at. 

-This year's defense is the worst Rex has ever coached, as either a DC or HC (yes, this is actually true). Think that's going to happen again, or should we expect a return to form?

-Further to the Rex point, I think it's safe to project turnover on defense to get better fitting pieces.

-Tyrod showed enough as a first year starter to think he has more to offer. Even if he is what he's shown, he was good enough to get to the playoffs, and is probably the best QB we've had since Kelly.

-Watkins had under 200 yards receiving at the halfway mark--he's on track to finish with 1000. I think they finally figured out that throwing him the ball is a good thing.

-McCoy was on one leg for half the season. Even if he gets hurt again, if the line is him being hobbled for 8-10 games again, I'll take the under.

-It's the NFL. If there's one thing we should understand, it's how little we know about next season.

It's not hard to construct a reasonable scenario where they're better next season. That you can't says more about where you're at mentally with the team than it does about where the team is at. 

-This year's defense is the worst Rex has ever coached, as either a DC or HC (yes, this is actually true). Think that's going to happen again, or should we expect a return to form?

-Further to the Rex point, I think it's safe to project turnover on defense to get better fitting pieces.

-Tyrod showed enough as a first year starter to think he has more to offer. Even if he is what he's shown, he was good enough to get to the playoffs, and is probably the best QB we've had since Kelly.

-Watkins had under 200 yards receiving at the halfway mark--he's on track to finish with 1000. I think they finally figured out that throwing him the ball is a good thing.

-McCoy was on one leg for half the season. Even if he gets hurt again, if the line is him being hobbled for 8-10 games again, I'll take the under.

-It's the NFL. If there's one thing we should understand, it's how little we know about next season.

To the bolded:  There is one constant in the NFL.

I know I keep hearing this, but do the stats back up that Rex has always had good to elite defenses?

Yup. I'm too lazy to look up DVOA, but since becoming defensive coordinator for the Ravens in 2005, here are his total defense ranks:

2005 (BAL): 5

2006 (BAL): 1

2007 (BAL): 6

2008 (BAL): 2

2009 (NYJ):1

2010 (NYJ): 3

2011 (NYJ): 5

2012 (NYJ): 8

2013 (NYJ): 11

2014 (NYJ): 6

2015 (BUF): 20

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/RyanRe0.htm

To the bolded:  There is one constant in the NFL.

Jaded Bills fans being compelled to tell everyone on the internet how hopeless the team is?

Good points. I expect a pretty decent shake up of the defense. Mario, Kyle, Leodis, Bradham and maybe Graham out. All will need to be replaced plus some other spots. He's got his corners but he doesn't have a big safety or the pass rush.

The Jags just announced Gus Bradley will remain the head coach next season. Bradley is 12-35 as a head coach with them... And I think this is absolutely the right move. If Rex fails then I think the Bills need to take a similar route. Clean out the front office and coaching staff. Start completely anew with a young GM/HC. Guys who have respect and connections in the league as up and comers. Then tear down what's left of the roster at that time. Build it up and be totally patient with the new regime.

The timeline of this is what's the real question. Is it playoffs are bust for both Rex and Whaley next season? I believe it should be, but I don't know that it will be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.