Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/29 (13 days left in the regular season)

Now featuring the best NHL record Buffalo can finish with while still finishing behind these teams:

Edmonton - 4 (4-1-1)

Arizona - 9 (2-4-0)

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Dallas, Ottawa, Florida, Colorado, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Columbus, Carolina, Toronto - Clinched

Oilers can clinch April 1st. Sabres can't clinch the Carrion until at least April 4th.

Current worst case: 11.5% in lottery - 4th pick

Current standings through games played 3/30.

Team         GP  L  W OT  PT MPP PR RPTC M# CPM

Buffalo      76 47 21  8 102 114 12   9   8 19.7

Arizona      77 47 22  8 100 110 10  11  15 13.4

Edmonton     76 40 23 13  93 105 12  18  22 11.7

Toronto      76 42 28  6  90 102 12  --      9.5

Carolina     74 36 27 11  83  99 16  --      8.4

Columbus     75 35 36  4  74  88 14  --      6.1

CPM per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/28 in PM

Sabres still control their own destiny and going 4-2-0 locks it up regardless of what the Eulers and Desert Dogs do. (Not as good as only needing 2-4-0, but controlling your own destiny beats the alternative.) I'd expect the Sabres to leave 2 on the table at home vs the Loafs, so after the board meltdown is done the Sabres would still hold their own destiny and 4-1-0 in 5 games that 2 points are definitely available would lock it up.

The 3 that didn't play today go at it Tuesday night.

Surprisingly The Sabres only dropped from 96 to 89% on Sports Club Stats.

Why does the game in hand have to be against the Leafs?

So how does this work now; do the Leaves fans still come to Buffalo but cheer for Buffalo to win?

game vs Toronto looms large.....but even w sabes loss they'll still have 3 point lead w 5 left.

Nobody thought ARI would pickup NHL points at DET. Anything can happen, I think BUF wins a few more here but so will ARI.

They broke 50 points, that is an accomplishment with this team. Nolan deserves all the credit. Not sure if that helps him much.

Fell asleep, couldn't watch, but I find it ironic a TM defenseman won the game...Mess even the king of shart this season.

I'm not too panicky, only because I think Arizona will find a way to win one more game--probably one of the back to back San Jose games.  If Arizona does lose out, I think they take the shart at the wire (I assume the Sabres will beat Toronto, and with that momentum, will beat Columbus and Carolina as well.)

Our collectives buttholes will seriously tighten if we upset Chicago on Friday, though.  Don't want to think about that.

They broke 50 points, that is an accomplishment with this team. Nolan deserves all the credit. Not sure if that helps him much.

Fell asleep, couldn't watch, but I find it ironic a TM defenseman won the game...Mess even the king of shart this season.

The last couple of games it seems apparent that 1) Messy likes to score, and 2) he's auditioning for next year's contract.

I'm not too panicky, only because I think Arizona will find a way to win one more game--probably one of the back to back San Jose games. If Arizona does lose out, I think they take the shart at the wire (I assume the Sabres will beat Toronto, and with that momentum, will beat Columbus and Carolina as well.)

Our collectives buttholes will seriously tighten if we upset Chicago on Friday, though. Don't want to think about that.

At the very least I see Arizona picking up a loser point or two. If we get four points, we win. Five points I think we most likely win. Six I still think we're over 50/50. Seven? That's where things get real dicey.

Remaining opponents are Toronto, Columbus, Chicago, Pittsburgh, NYI, and Carolina. Toronto is the only game I look at with concern; every other team is a good deal better than us (unless Columbus rolls out Anton Forsberg again!). If we break them up into tiers, with the Pens, Isles and Hawks up top and the others down below, we can get a picture of how things may play out (I don't like going game by game due to randomness). If we go with some reasonable assumptions, if somewhat pessimistic from a CHL perspective, I see three points from that bottom tier: a win and a loser point. From the top tier two points isn't insane: a surprise win or a couple of loser points against sleeping opponents. That gives us 5, and we'd only need Arizona to get 1 point out of the following games: SJx2, Calgary, Vancouver, Anaheim. A loser point is very possible against anyone but Anaheim on face. The Sharks have quit, Calgary is bad (I don't care what their record says dammit) and Vancouver is thoroughly mediocre.

Frankly, in the above scenario, I don't think I'm giving Buffalo enough credit for being the CHL juggernaut they are. My honest prediction is we nab 4 points the rest of the way, which renders whatever Arizona does meaningless, but I think they pick up 2-3 anyway.

I told the fat lady to warm up.

At the very least I see Arizona picking up a loser point or two. If we get four points, we win. Five points I think we most likely win. Six I still think we're over 50/50. Seven? That's where things get real dicey.

Remaining opponents are Toronto, Columbus, Chicago, Pittsburgh, NYI, and Carolina. Toronto is the only game I look at with concern; every other team is a good deal better than us (unless Columbus rolls out Anton Forsberg again!). If we break them up into tiers, with the Pens, Isles and Hawks up top and the others down below, we can get a picture of how things may play out (I don't like going game by game due to randomness). If we go with some reasonable assumptions, if somewhat pessimistic from a CHL perspective, I see three points from that bottom tier: a win and a loser point. From the top tier two points isn't insane: a surprise win or a couple of loser points against sleeping opponents. That gives us 5, and we'd only need Arizona to get 1 point out of the following games: SJx2, Calgary, Vancouver, Anaheim. A loser point is very possible against anyone but Anaheim on face. The Sharks have quit, Calgary is bad (I don't care what their record says dammit) and Vancouver is thoroughly mediocre.

Frankly, in the above scenario, I don't think I'm giving Buffalo enough credit for being the CHL juggernaut they are. My honest prediction is we nab 4 points the rest of the way, which renders whatever Arizona does meaningless, but I think they pick up 2-3 anyway.

I told the fat lady to warm up.

I'm really looking forward to a trip to Consumers Beverages for your gift card next week

Oh Christ TBP you showed up at the right time. I can feel the breeze from way up here on the ledge.....

Some actual numbers. I'm too lazy to go back to the deadline (the score app gives me record in last 10, so I'll use that) the Yotes are 2-8 for a points percentage of 20% and we're 2-5-3 for a points percentage of 35%. If that continues for the remainder of the season, the Coyotes will gain 2 points and finish the year at 56; Buffalo will gain 4, finishing at 54. Because we have the tiebreaker there has to be a 3 point swing in Arizona's favor outside of the pace of the past 10 games for the Shart to be theirs. Put another way, in the past 10 games they've gained 3 points on us...to pass us for 30th they'd have to gain 5 points in 6 games. I just don't see it happening--even if they're worse than us, they're simply not THAT much worse.

I fully expect a few people to hurl themselves off the ledge if we beat Toronto tomorrow, but it's really not necessary when you look at the total picture. If there were 20 games left I'd be very worried...but there isn't, there's only 6. Just not enough time left to reasonably believe they pass us.

Some actual numbers. I'm too lazy to go back to the deadline (the score app gives me record in last 10, so I'll use that) the Yotes are 2-8 for a points percentage of 20% and we're 2-5-3 for a points percentage of 35%. If that continues for the remainder of the season, the Coyotes will gain 2 points and finish the year at 56; Buffalo will gain 4, finishing at 54. Because we have the tiebreaker there has to be a 3 point swing in Arizona's favor outside of the pace of the past 10 games for the Shart to be theirs. Put another way, in the past 10 games they've gained 3 points on us...to pass us for 30th they'd have to gain 5 points in 6 games. I just don't see it happening--even if they're worse than us, they're simply not THAT much worse.

I fully expect a few people to hurl themselves off the ledge if we beat Toronto tomorrow, but it's really not necessary when you look at the total picture. If there were 20 games left I'd be very worried...but there isn't, there's only 6. Just not enough time left to reasonably believe they pass us.

Thanks TrueBlue for saving me the effort of writing all that out. As the number of games remaining dwindles, it will take a much larger win/loss discrepancy between us and Arizona to make up the point gap. Every game comparison remaining where Arizona doesn't gain 2 points on the Sabres (BUF win and ARI loss) is a win for us.

This is more fun than going for the Presidents trophy!  6 games left, so much on the line. I never thought that being the best team in the league could lead to such great games at the end of the season.

Do not SHART till you see the whites of their eyes!!

I can see the newly motivated Sabres going 3-2-1 or 4-2 (real record; not CHL) in the remaining games to pick up at least 7 points putting them at 57 or 58 for the season.  The Pens will be resting everyone they can that last game so the Sabres either win or at least pick up the OT point.  I can see the Coyotes losing out but maybe picking up a max of 2 points.  That would put them at 56 points for the season.

Edited by nobody