Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

I have a Dream.....

Stewart is traded to Boston for a conditional 1st in the 2015 draft.  If Boston makes the playoff's this year, Sabres get Boston's 2016 1st.

Boston squeaks into the playoffs, looses in the 1st round by some bad ref call, or who ever they play "cheats" (the Karma loss).  Their fans are all Boston snarky (that seems to be a forum fav word), and demand justice.

In 2016 they start out great, the fans are back to "Boston Proud", then pull a Islanders 2nd half of the season tank job.  They finish tenth in the East. But thanks to the new lottery system, they wind up with the magic ball, and in the 2016 draft we hear AGAIN!!!

With the FIRST over pick in the 2016 draft the Buffalo Sabres pick........

I have a dream....

I have a Dream.....

Stewart is traded to Boston for a conditional 1st in the 2015 draft. If Boston makes the playoff's this year, Sabres get Boston's 2016 1st.

Boston squeaks into the playoffs, looses in the 1st round by some bad ref call, or who ever they play "cheats" (the Karma loss). Their fans are all Boston snarky (that seems to be a forum fav word), and demand justice.

In 2016 they start out great, the fans are back to "Boston Proud", then pull a Islanders 2nd half of the season tank job. They finish tenth in the East. But thanks to the new lottery system, they wind up with the magic ball, and in the 2016 draft we hear AGAIN!!!

With the FIRST over pick in the 2016 draft the Buffalo Sabres pick........

I have a dream....

Discussing the 2016 draft seems more like a nightmare.

I have a Dream.....

Stewart is traded to Boston for a conditional 1st in the 2015 draft.  If Boston makes the playoff's this year, Sabres get Boston's 2016 1st.

Not to ruin your dream, but considering this years draft, there would be no way that the conditions weren't "2015 first if Boston makes playoffs; 2016 if Boston misses." As you have it now, it seems like if Boston misses the playoffs this season, we would have their 2015 lottery pick. Maybe that's what makes it a dream though.

Not to ruin your dream, but considering this years draft, there would be no way that the conditions weren't "2015 first if Boston makes playoffs; 2016 if Boston misses." As you have it now, it seems like if Boston misses the playoffs this season, we would have their 2015 lottery pick. Maybe that's what makes it a dream though.

A no loose for the Sabres.... get Boston's chance at 1st overall, no matter the scenario....  I dream big!

Might be that im still drunk, but I'm not ready to write Hodgson off. Still think he is the most natural scorer we got at the moment and he has a wicked shot.

Hope he gets it back next year.

Those things are not mutually exclusive ;)

Separately, every time my phone goes off, I think it's a trade. One of these times I won't be disappointed.

That said, if I were Murray, the only player I'd trade would be Stewart...and maybe Neuvirth. Keep the vets, make them cranky and disheartened about not being traded to a contender, and proceed to sleepwalk through the remaining games. I'm challenging all conventional wisdom!

Anybody else starting to think that keeping Neuvirth might be the move? Obviously he is the only thing keeping this tank from finishing strong. And the tank should remain the number one priority. But we also need a backstop moving forward, and he is really starting to look like a NHL goaltender. Maybe his handling this year, the confidence instilled by Murray, and the realization now that he's a true number 1, has honed his mental game. He's always had the physical tools. Similar arc to his ex teammate Varlamov. I know he's a FA, but there is an advantage to having a window of contract negotiations for the remainder of the year. 

Anybody else starting to think that keeping Neuvirth might be the move? Obviously he is the only thing keeping this tank from finishing strong. And the tank should remain the number one priority. But we also need a backstop moving forward, and he is really starting to look like a NHL goaltender. Maybe his handling this year, the confidence instilled by Murray, and the realization now that he's a true number 1, has honed his mental game. He's always had the physical tools. Similar arc to his ex teammate Varlamov. I know he's a FA, but there is an advantage to having a window of contract negotiations for the remainder of the year. 

Why can't GMTM spin him off for an asset(s) now, preserve the tank, & tell Neuvirth on the way out the door, "This helps our future...we're coming for you this summer. We want you to be our #1 when we turn things around next year."? 

The idea that goaltending is an issue only has merit when the o and d start to come togethor. Serviceable goalies can be had relatively easy. Halak, Dubnyk, Crawford, hell Miller was available this summer. Goaltending is the least of our worries. Scoring is another matter.

The idea that goaltending is an issue only has merit when the o and d start to come togethor. Serviceable goalies can be had relatively easy. Halak, Dubnyk, Crawford, hell Miller was available this summer. Goaltending is the least of our worries. Scoring is another matter.

Corey Crawford of the Blackhawks? He's their franchise goalie. And I wouldn't feel comfortable with Dubnyk or Halak in the playoffs.

You can't react to things only once they are an issue. You need some sort of plan. Proactive, not reactive. If we get McEichel next year plus free agents, we could very well make the playoffs. I'm not saying it's likely, but there is a possibility.  

TM has high opinion of talent that was selected in the first round. He obviously felt Neuv could develop into a quality tender if his mental game matured. Maybe TM bet on the right time in the kids development. 

I guess the broader question is: does the benefit of additional negotiating time with a guy who might be the goalie for this turnaround outweigh a possible tank killer? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.