Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Based on the Sekera trade and the Vermette trade, I am now convinced the Sabres can get a 1st round pick plus a prospect for Stewart. I don't expect much for the other UFA's, but maybe Murray will finally prove to everyone he knows what he's doing.

Sekera and Vermette have a lot more value than Stewart. Maybe one. Definitely not both.

Stewart to Boston(half salary retained) and a 4th for a 1st. Mezaros will go for a prospect(expect to retain salary or acquire a salary dump player) the other ufas can go for future considerations for all I care. Look at the points McDavid is putting up compared to mackinnon or any other 1st overall selection. I would ship guys with expiring contracts for virtually nothing to get a better chance at him.

Sekera and Vermette have a lot more value than Stewart. Maybe one. Definitely not both.

I think they are all roughly in the same boat. Vermette's versatility probably helps his cause since he can play center and win draws, but I think Stewart is the prototypical big-body forward that teams look for to grind it out in the playoffs. Stewart is also younger (not that it necessarily matters since they're rentals, but some team might see value in his youth/potential to re-sign).

There's also these cool charts from Own The Puck (http://ownthepuck.blogspot.ca/) that I'm sure some of you saw floating around twitter after the Vermette trade. Comparing him and Stewart, I think Stewart has proven the more valuable player.

But either way, their perceived value isn't all that important -- we all know teams get desperate and overpay, as we saw with the Sekera trade. Some team that only offered a second round pick yesterday might offer a first tomorrow, now that Vermette is off the table and their options are dwindling. 

Edited by thesportsbuff

Why was a first round pick overpayment for Sekera?

Well it was a pick and a prospect who I know nothing about, but must have SOME kind of value, for a rental. To a team that could potentially miss the playoffs, making it a middle round pick. We got McBain and an early 2nd for him, so I guess that balances out pretty closely if they do make playoffs, but he also wasn't a rental at that point.

Edited by thesportsbuff

Okay well now all this Vermette hold-up is done, I except for Stewart to be the next rental forward off the board along with Glencross.   Lets go Boston, if you want to save your season and GM/HC its time to pay up.   Not that I really care because I have no issue watching Chiarelli and company failing.  :)

Edited by TheCerebral1

Guest Sloth

Just a crazy conspiracy theory. Stewart has done plenty to increase his trade value over the past two months. Why risk injury by playing him last night? Maybe Murray is trying to show other GM's he's willing to keep Stewart if he doesn't get a legit offer. Of course the other part of that theory is it's a big bluff. Trade Stewart to better the tank.

Just a crazy conspiracy theory. Stewart has done plenty to increase his trade value over the past two months. Why risk injury by playing him last night? Maybe Murray is trying to show other GM's he's willing to keep Stewart if he doesn't get a legit offer. Of course the other part of that theory is it's a big bluff. Trade Stewart to better the tank.

Could be, but as he's repeatedly stated, he will make the deal with any pending UFA's if there is an offer.  He'll be dealt one way or another. 

Well it was a pick and a prospect who I know nothing about, but must have SOME kind of value, for a rental. To a team that could potentially miss the playoffs, making it a middle round pick. We got McBain and an early 2nd for him, so I guess that balances out pretty closely if they do make playoffs, but he also wasn't a rental at that point.

We only got a 2nd and McBain for Sekera because Regier criminally undervalued him and/or wanted to make the team worse. That trade still pisses me off.

TheFourthPeriod: In addition to Chris Stewart, Sabres are expected to trade F Torrey Mitchell by tomorrow's deadline, as well.

Curtis Glencross was just pulled of the ice at #Flames practice.

Edited by Tank

TheFourthPeriod: In addition to Chris Stewart, Sabres are expected to trade F Torrey Mitchell by tomorrow's deadline, as well.

Those 2 and Neuvirth are the 3 that I'd expect to see go. I'd be shocked if Mitchell and Stewart aren't gone and put the probability of seeing Lindback in TB at 70%. Wouldn't be surprised to see somone from Ra-cha-cha included as sweetener as well.

Would be surprised if Beano or Mess get dealt - their contribution to the cause is too important to lose for the 4th/5th that either would bring back.

Edited by Taro T

Guest Sloth

It's partially relieving that the media is in the dark for once. My guess is Washington or Boston.

I'm hoping Washington. I know Boston has said it'd take a big offer to get Subban, but if Murray could acquire him w/ the use of Stewart + X, I'd be very happy. 

Edited by thanes16

Thank goodness.  As far as I can tell, he's a player that would never factor in to a contending team but is just good enough that he could screw up the tank.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.