Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

Isn't the cap hit on a Hodgson less than $1 million and isn't Horton owed $25 million?

I wouldn't do it.

If you are on an internal budget, i'd rather pay a player $4 mil to play, rather than $5 mil to sit on the sofa. In return, Sabres get $4 mil of cap space for the cost of $5 million dollars

Edited by ThirtyEight

Sabres give up $12 million (difference between Horton contract and a Hodgson buyout) to save a cap hit of less than a million?

I know Pegula can just drill another well, but I sure wouldn't be doing that.

LTIR doesn't count against the cap.

Ok I see what you are saying. Surely CoHo's buyout caphit is more like $2 mil per year for 10 years?

Edited by ThirtyEight

I doubt Hodgson gets bought out. 

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what do you guys think will be the return on Stewart? My friends think I'm crazy for holding out hope for a late 1st round pick, but I don't know. Gaustad got us a first round pick. Sekera just got the Canes a 1st + a prospect. I think somebody will overpay for a big physical power forward who plays in the top 6 and can score goals. Might be a little streaky, but teams will hope that hot streak comes in the playoffs. The longer TM holds on to him the more desperate teams will get. Am I crazy?

I'm sure it's been discussed, but what do you guys think will be the return on Stewart? My friends think I'm crazy for holding out hope for a late 1st round pick, but I don't know. Gaustad got us a first round pick. Sekera just got the Canes a 1st + a prospect. I think somebody will overpay for a big physical power forward who plays in the top 6 and can score goals. Might be a little streaky, but teams will hope that hot streak comes in the playoffs. The longer TM holds on to him the more desperate teams will get. Am I crazy?

I think you have a point here.

The Sekera trade really showed what might be possible.

The only benefit to Horton's LTIR happens if you spend all the way to cap. It should be at least three years till the Sabres get there so the benefit to Buffalo is not near to where it is for Toronto.

It's cap minus what the player's salary is. So if the salary is $5.5M and you're $5.5M under the cap then you don't get the relief. But if you're $3M below the cap and his salary is $5.5M then you get the relief.

I do think there's a chance. It depends on who they're talking to. I don't think they get it from Boston. But if teams more towards the top are interested it's possible.

I think Murray is holding out for a first or a Subban-level prospect and is willing to add in order to make it happen.

Given what we've seen in the Kane, Fasching and Miller deals, Murray is not afraid to get complicated or go big.

It may be less about selling Stewart to the highest better and more about moving pieces in order to get someone he has targeted.

I'm pretty sure the Fasching deal came about through the Moulson rental talks, even though Moulson never ended up going to LA.

I think Murray is holding out for a first or a Subban-level prospect and is willing to add in order to make it happen.

Given what we've seen in the Kane, Fasching and Miller deals, Murray is not afraid to get complicated or go big.

It may be less about selling Stewart to the highest better and more about moving pieces in order to get someone he has targeted.

I'm pretty sure the Fasching deal came about through the Moulson rental talks, even though Moulson never ended up going to LA.

He also isn't afraid to 'lose' a deal either. So he may well be willing to give up more to get something that he sees as value - he clearly doesn't rate picks all that highly in comparison to a more complete prospect 

The mystery deal the Blackhawks said they were close to was Kimmo Timonen from the Flyers, by the way. They are still looking to acquire a forward.

John Shannon of sportsnet said they're looking at Antoine Vermette and Sam Gagner.

Edited by Tank

Their top two centres are Backstrom and Kuznetsov - not too shabby really

Backstrom is a solid #1 guy, I don't know much about Kuznetsov. Young guy at 22, spent a lot of time in the KHL; his production isn't great this year though, 6-18-24. It's only his second year in the league though

Edited by WildComrade

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.