Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

Come on, be nice. How about the Non-BlackSmiths.

How about the Doomsday Preppers? From my understanding every Mormon is supposed to stockpile food, batteries, bottled water, and stuff like that to prepare for the apocalypse. Make me wonder ifany of Joseph Smith's early followers had stock in Campbell's Soup, Chef Boyardee, or whoever make Spam.

Time-lapse that's relevant to some of the discussion above:

Such a cool video. I remember all the stories about having three teams in at once.

EDIT: Not that it was ages ago or anything.

Edited by Hoss

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-survival-hinges-on-arena-deal-battle-1.283772

So it looks like Arizona isn't so safe after all. As much as I love their look I just don't think it's smart to force this team to stay. Move them to Seattle. Expand to Vegas and QC. The end.

Good find.  But the author thinks Seattle is unlikely:

One NHL owner said the most likely outcome over the next few years will see the team move. Rumoured landing spots are Seattle, Portland, Quebec City, Southern Ontario and Las Vegas.

But Seattle does not have an arena, and there's little appetite among the local population to pay for a new rink. "This can't work with private money," the NHL team owner said. "The team acquisition cost and arena finance bill would combine to be over $800 million. It doesn't work in Seattle with those numbers."

The NHL team owner said Portland faces similar hurdles because billionaire Paul Allen, who owns the NBA's Trailblazers and controls the arena there, "doesn't care about hockey."

As for Quebec City or Southern Ontario? "Nope. Both of those cities make the balanced conference problem worse," said the NHL team owner, who declined to speak publicly for fear of being fined by the league. "I think it leaves us with Las Vegas as our best alternative. I could see them moving the Coyotes there when the new arena is done."

I still think an NHL team in Vegas would be awesome.    Can it really be worse than Florida, Arizon or Carolina?

I don't know, but I have a hard time picturing it being any better than Phoenix... it's still in a desert, and mostly populated by tourists who have a multitude of other (and cheaper) options for entertainment.  Could be better than Florida, though.

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-survival-hinges-on-arena-deal-battle-1.283772

So it looks like Arizona isn't so safe after all. As much as I love their look I just don't think it's smart to force this team to stay. Move them to Seattle. Expand to Vegas and QC. The end.

I'm in Phoenix right now and nobody knows what the NHL is much less that they have a team here. I give them 2 years tops.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in Phoenix right now and nobody knows what the NHL is much less that they have a team here. I give them 2 years tops.

I've been in PHX since 93 and this will be their last year here.  Not enough time to move and Glendale will be stuck with their white elephant in the west valley.   Most entertainment acts end up at the US Airway Center or whatever its name is this days, aka, where the Suns play because it sucks to drive out to Glendale.    Glendale will go back to its quiet, soon to be bankrupt town trying to grow cotton again. 

First the lottery results and then this.  Those fans down there (avoid the obvious joke, yes there are actual fans) must have ripped the last hairs out of their head at this point.  The time is officially here to put this dog down, but I do feel bad for the people who care.  We lived with that threat here for many years and I can't imagine what it's like for that fear to become true.

Glendale city council voted 5-2 to dissolve the lease with the Coyotes, 2 years into the 15 year agreement citing a loophole whereby they are allowed to terminate a contract if the other party hires an employee away from them. Apparently IceArizona hired away a city attorney in 2013 and made him general counsel of their operation.  The Coyotes have filed for a temporary injunction and have filed a lawsuit seeking $200 million in damages.  What a mess.  Trying to force hockey on a market that obviously doesn't care about it.  Just move the team somewhere else.  Maybe Las Vegas?  At least the newness will help for a few years...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/glendale-votes-cancel-lease-deal-coyotes-024722266--spt.html

I still think an NHL team in Vegas would be awesome.    Can it really be worse than Florida, Arizon or Carolina?

Yes.  Yes it can.

If they're going to move it from a desert market because hockey simply doesn't make sense there, why move it to another desert market?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.