Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

Buffalo has lost two professional basketball teams if you include the Bisons who played in the National

Basketball League for 13 games before moving to Illinois in the middle of the season to become the Tri-Cities Blackhawks. They later moved to Milwaukee then St. Louis and then to Atlanta to become the Hawks.

You could really have some fun if you dig deeply into the early years of the leagues. You could claim that Montreal last two teams, the Maroons and Wanderers. Quebec apparently had a short lived team in the early years of the league too. I bet the other leagues have these stories too, but I'm not as familiar with them.

That's cheating though, because I'd hesitate to even call teams from that era professional.

Also: everybody says that the Buffalo Braves are the current Los Angeles Clippers which is NOT true. The Buffalo Braves are the current Boston Celtics.

Seriously: http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/offthedribble/2012/05/22/freaky-friday-n-b-a-style-when-the-clippers-were-the-celtics/

Obviously the Clippers, who have worn Braves throwback, use the Braves history... But they are TECHNICALLY (and legally) the former Boston Celtics).

You could really have some fun if you dig deeply into the early years of the leagues. You could claim that Montreal last two teams, the Maroons and Wanderers. Quebec apparently had a short lived team in the early years of the league too. I bet the other leagues have these stories too, but I'm not as familiar with them.

That's cheating though, because I'd hesitate to even call teams from that era professional.

Yea, I know it's more about who lost two teams in the same sport in their major league. Just thought the Bisons note was interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Good read from Craig Custance on Seattle:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/12343414/nhl-how-bring-nhl-team-seattle

Sounds like downtown may not happen, but there's a push for a stadium outside of the city. I don't think the city should do that. One stadium for both the eventual NBA and NHL teams makes the most sense.

• 2 months later...

I voted for Seattle. Haven't had a chance to read previous postings, but putting a team in the west would help balance conference play. Also would enjoy the Panthers moving to Quebec. Hartford would be interesting, but Canada, in my opinion, needs another team. Of course the NHL may prefer a team to remain the States. Most of the money made comes the gold ol' US of A, right? 

Huh? Meaning you don't like them sharing an arena? There are quite a few hockey/basketball arenas that share the space with the other sport.

As long as they don't screw it up like it seems Brooklyn is about to.  I haven't seen anything about it in a while now, but if they really aren't going to have seats behind one of the nets, it will look really bad.

Huh? Meaning you don't like them sharing an arena? There are quite a few hockey/basketball arenas that share the space with the other sport.

Maybe he means that he doesn't like the same owner for both an NBA and NHL team?  That it could be a bad situation if this guy is clearly NBA-hungry and throwing in an NHL team just for convenience?

Are there any current NHL team owners that also own an NBA team?

Maybe he means that he doesn't like the same owner for both an NBA and NHL team?  That it could be a bad situation if this guy is clearly NBA-hungry and throwing in an NHL team just for convenience?

Kroenke has the Nuggets (for now).  I want to say Leonsis owns the Wizards, but don't quote me on that one.  I'm not sure if there are any others.

edit: Does MLSE own the Raptors too?

Edited by shrader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_franchise_owners

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_team_owners

Yes on Avs/Nugs and Washington and Toronto.... 76ers/Devils, too.

Kroenke has the Nuggets (for now).  I want to say Leonsis owns the Wizards, but don't quote me on that one.  I'm not sure if there are any others.

edit: Does MLSE own the Raptors too?

I should add NYR and Knicks, too.

Edited by Cereal

Maybe he means that he doesn't like the same owner for both an NBA and NHL team? That it could be a bad situation if this guy is clearly NBA-hungry and throwing in an NHL team just for convenience?

Hansen is looking for a separate group to own the NHL team and there is plenty of interest.

On basketball/hockey arenas: the Barclays center is a bad comparison. That was a mistake situation and the Isles won't be there long (they'll be back on the island within five years).

The Staples Center does it well. I don't have a list of stadiums but I'm sure most cities with hockey and basketball share a stadium.

Edited by Hoss

Hansen is looking for a separate group to own the NHL team and there is plenty of interest.

On basketball/hockey arenas: the Barclays center is a bad comparison. That was a mistake situation and the Isles won't be there long (they'll be back on the island within five years).

The Staples Center does it well. I don't have a list of stadiums but I'm sure most cities with hockey and basketball share a stadium.

It seems like, traditionally, you set up the court in the center of the "rink" and put floor seats in to fill up the space. The issue with Barclay is they built it only as big as the basketball court.

MSG hosts both, obvs. I'd guess the New Jersey Devils/Nets share too. Boston? My guess is almost every city that has both NBA and NHL share.

Edited by MattPie

It seems like, traditionally, you set up the court in the center of the "rink" and put floor seats in to fill up the space. The issue with Barclay is they built it only as big as the basketball court.

MSG hosts both, obvs. I'd guess the New Jersey Devils/Nets share too. Boston? My guess is almost every city that has both NBA and NHL share.

Haha the New Jersey Nets are now the Brooklyn Nets who play in Barclays.

I would also guess the same. Boston does.

LA, Boston, Philly, NY, Brooklyn, Dallas, Washington, Colorado, Chicago, Toronto. Those are the ones I can think of.

Edited by Hoss

Haha the New Jersey Nets are now the Brooklyn Nets who play in Barclays.

I would also guess the same. Boston does.

LA, Boston, Philly, NY, Brooklyn, Dallas, Washington, Colorado, Chicago, Toronto. Those are the ones I can think of.

Whoops. Next you'll tell me it's not the Charlotte Hornets any more.

Whoops. Next you'll tell me it's not the Charlotte Hornets any more.

Well actually...

Nope, just looked. Charlotte Hornets, just like I remember it.

I can't figure out Pelicans though. There had to be a better name than that.

Edited by MattPie

Nope, just looked. Charlotte Hornets, just like I remember it.

I can't figure out Pelicans though. There had to be a better name than that.

Did you see the history of the Hornets name while you were looking at that?  Wait, why am I talking about bouncyball?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.