Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

Vetting a potential NHL owner is not a formality.

It is when they've already met with several top officials and is already a part of the NHL "fraternity." Foley is not an unknown in any way.

Even if it's not a "formality" the vetting process won't take long. It's not a long process.

It is when they've already met with several top officials and is already a part of the NHL "fraternity." Foley is not an unknown in any way.

Even if it's not a "formality" the vetting process won't take long. It's not a long process.

I just think implying vetting an NHL owner is a formality is disingenuous.  The Pegula's were multi-billionaires and they still waiting a couple months so the NHL could vet them.  It is a process and it will take time.  Since the arena isn't done, the owner not vetted, the expansion draft details not formalized or even discussed, the agreement on expansion done, the decision on how the schedule would be handled with an extra team.... there are a ton of little things that would need to be decided upon by the owners, the GM's and the NHLPA.  I think 2017 is the most likely time for an expansion team to be added to the NHL.  

I think the SMART thing to do is just to take your time and get two teams in 2017-18, but if the NHL wants Vegas sooner they will get Vegas sooner. These things take time, but they don't take years. They could easily get it done in a few months. Especially considering how far along in the process Vegas is (they've already selected team colors!).

Gary Bettman told the NHL board about interest from ownership groups from Las Vegas, Seattle and Quebec City. There's your big three.

Good. Two for expansion, one for Arizona.

Bettman says probably in early July, formal applications for expansion will be accepted.

Gary Bettman expects interested cities to file expansion bids in the next month. This is going to happen quickly.

Early July applications, one month more or less window to see what comes in. Exec committee will review the applicants.

Edited by Hoss

I think the SMART thing to do is just to take your time and get two teams in 2017-18, but if the NHL wants Vegas sooner they will get Vegas sooner. These things take time, but they don't take years. They could easily get it done in a few months. Especially considering how far along in the process Vegas is (they've already selected team colors!).

Gary Bettman told the NHL board about interest from ownership groups from Las Vegas, Seattle and Quebec City. There's your big three.

Bettman says probably in early July, formal applications for expansion will be accepted.

Gary Bettman expects interested cities to file expansion bids in the next month. This is going to happen quickly.

Early July applications, one month more or less window to see what comes in. Exec committee will review the applicants.

And more talk about slight division/conference re-allignment.  That's always fun.

Maybe they will do it by 2016 but they would have to move at lightning speed to get all of that done. 

Nice, thanks for the updates, Hoss.  The one thing I keep having to remind myself is that they can get a team in Quebec City without putting them in the Eastern Conference at least initially (a la Winnipeg in the EC).

Perhaps they add in Seattle, Vegas, and QC with the stipulation that QC has to play in the WC until something gives (such as the Panthers moving to Kansas City or something)?  I know there's a lot to consider with that.  Would the NHLPA have a play in the travel concerns with QC in the WC?  I'm certain the QC fans wouldn't mind.

Nice, thanks for the updates, Hoss.  The one thing I keep having to remind myself is that they can get a team in Quebec City without putting them in the Eastern Conference at least initially (a la Winnipeg in the EC).

Perhaps they add in Seattle, Vegas, and QC with the stipulation that QC has to play in the WC until something gives (such as the Panthers moving to Kansas City or something)?  I know there's a lot to consider with that.  Would the NHLPA have a play in the travel concerns with QC in the WC?  I'm certain the QC fans wouldn't mind.

They went out of their way to set up more time zone-friendly divisions.  I'd imagine that they'd like to keep as close to that as possible.

Nope...

Daly said earliest possible date an expansion team could play is 2017-18 season.

Expansion applications accepted July 6-Aug. 10

Also: $500M expansion fees.

Daly said no concern amongst GMS, execs with talent dilution if NHL expands.

Just going to keep firing these off.

Edited by Hoss

So there we have it, 2017 at the earliest. 

Remember within the past year when people around here were worried about an expansion team poaching our shot at McEichel?  That's pretty funny right around now when you see this timeframe.

Yes, unfortunately I remember those arguments. 

Remember within the past year when people around here were worried about an expansion team poaching our shot at McEichel? That's pretty funny right around now when you see this timeframe.

Somebody more ambitious than I am should totally resurrect the "greatest hits" of those arguments.

Oh goody!  Which one of our just now ready for the dynasty young players are going to get gobbled up in the expansion draft?   :(

Want to know who the Sabres lost in the two most recent expansion drafts?  Bob Boughner and Daryl Shannon.   :lol:

1998 expansion draft rules...

The Predators were to select 26 players, one from each of the 26 existing franchises at the time of the draft.

First- and second-year pros were exempt from being selected in the draft.

Each of the 26 franchises in the league were allowed to protect either one goaltender, five defensemen and nine forwards or two goaltenders, three defensemen and seven forwards.

Of the unprotected players, each franchise had to include at least one forward and one defenseman who appeared in 40 games in the 1997–98 season.

Each franchise also had to include at least one goaltender who appeared in 10 games in the 1997–98 season, and a minimum of 25 games since the 1995–96 season. These minimums for goaltenders were put into place in order to avoid manipulation of rosters, such as what occurred before the 1992 NHL Expansion Draft, which weakened the talent pool available in the draft.

Edited by LabattBlue

Bob Boughner

Darryl Shannon

Dwayne Roloson

Geoff Sanderson

drafted from Buffalo

Additionally Buffalo traded Jean Luc Grande Pierre, Matt Davidson, and two 5th round picks as consideration for Columbus not drafting a Buffalo goalie.

OK, maybe not so bad.

*breathes*

Edited by weave

I'm assuming it was you. ;)

Well you know me, I love a good argument.  

Oh goody!  Which one of our just now ready for the dynasty young players are going to get gobbled up in the expansion draft?   :(

I think that will be an interesting thread for when we find out the rules of the expansion draft.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.