Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

Nice, thanks for the updates, Hoss.  The one thing I keep having to remind myself is that they can get a team in Quebec City without putting them in the Eastern Conference at least initially (a la Winnipeg in the EC).

Perhaps they add in Seattle, Vegas, and QC with the stipulation that QC has to play in the WC until something gives (such as the Panthers moving to Kansas City or something)?  I know there's a lot to consider with that.  Would the NHLPA have a play in the travel concerns with QC in the WC?  I'm certain the QC fans wouldn't mind.

I would certainly mind if I was a Nordique fan. That would be brutal. If the NHL actually does something sane for a change and puts a team back in Quebec City, then they absolutely, positively MUST be in our division with the Habs, Sens, Leafs, etc. This means you have to boot either Columbus or Detroit to the west. We all know Detroit has more pull than Columbus, so Detroit would stay in the east, but they would have to move to the other division.

Quebec City, and Seattle.  I truly do believe that Las Vegas is a joke.  As if one failing team in the desert isn't enough. 

If it's a joke, it certainly isn't a funny one. I still don't understand expanding when there are teams that seem suitable for relocation. QC and Seattle are my first choices as well.

Bob Boughner

Darryl Shannon

Dwayne Roloson

Geoff Sanderson

drafted from Buffalo

Additionally Buffalo traded Jean Luc Grande Pierre, Matt Davidson, and two 5th round picks as consideration for Columbus not drafting a Buffalo goalie.

OK, maybe not so bad.

*breathes*

I'm not sure how you can say it wasn't so bad right after talking about Buffalo losing superstar Geoff Sanderson.

If it's a joke, it certainly isn't a funny one. I still don't understand expanding when there are teams that seem suitable for relocation. QC and Seattle are my first choices as well.

I'm assuming two $500 million franchise fees will be much more money than one or two relocation fees. Also, relocation doesn't create more player jobs.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Mmmm. I wonder if they'll have slots in the washrooms ?  :flirt:

Its guaranteed they'll have craps. :sick:

Bad...... :D

That's the other thing. Why pay $500MM when teams sell for half that?

because it may be easier to get an expansion team at this point. Plus I'm guessing these potential owners would rather start their own team than have to go purchase one and then move them, fire all front office staff....etc

Interesting take on expansion. This would allow expansion teams to go to GTA and Quebec City and Las Vegas.

Create three 11 Team Conferences and have the top 16 teams make the playoffs. This would eliminate the Eastern and Western Conference imbalance.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/25/nhl-expansion-announcement-best-cities-for-teams-conference-format-change

Edited by BRAWNDO

Interesting take on expansion. This would allow expansion teams to go to GTA and Quebec City and Las Vegas.

Create three 11 Team Conferences and have the top 16 teams make the playoffs. This would eliminate the Eastern and Western Conference imbalance.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/25/nhl-expansion-announcement-best-cities-for-teams-conference-format-change

Play each team in your conference 6 times, that's 60 games. Then play the other 22 teams once.  That's 82 games.

I haven't read that SI article yet, but I think the idea of a 33-team league with three 11-team conferences is a cool idea to think about.

Say expansion is Seattle, Vegas and QC...

The three conferences could be something like:

East:

Quebec City

Montreal

Toronto

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Philadelphia

Washington

New York

New York

New Jersey

Boston

Central:

Dallas

Nashville

Tampa Bay

Florida

St. Louis

Chicago

Minnesota

Carolina

Columbus

Ottawa

Detroit

West:

Vancouver

Seattle

San Jose

Los Angeles

Anaheim

Arizona

Las Vegas

Edmonton

Calgary

Colorado

Winnipeg

Q3x0OO7.png

If Kansas City is the third expansion instead of QC then KC goes to the midwest and Columbus, Detroit or Ottawa goes to the East. Also if teams move (such as Florida/Arizona) it's easy to realign them in this format because there's teams on each edge.

Six games against your conference and one against every other team doesn't give enough variety, but it's tough to match it up otherwise. Four teams against everybody in your conference and one against everybody else gives you 84 games so they could easily just expand to 84 games to make that work.

Or it could be four games against everybody in your conference but two (you play three against those two). It would alternate in a pattern so every five years you've played the same schedule as everybody else in your conference.

The playoffs could stay at 16 teams. Either the best 16 make it straight up, or the top five from each conference with one wildcard or whatever. Not that hard to figure it out.

They could also expand to 18 teams where four teams play in a one-game play-in game which would be kind of fun and generate some excitement.

This is obviously some drastic change, but I think it's fun to think about and would generate some new fans of the game with the changes.

NY Post reporting that Atizona being sold and moved to Las Vegas in time for 2016/17 season.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/30/arizona-coyotes-to-move-to-las-vegas-under-new-owner/

I would be kind of surprised if this were true... They know Foley has the money and is willing to drop $500M on an expansion fee. They must feel confident they have it in 2-3 other cities, too... Assuming this is true.

http://nypost.com/2015/06/30/arizona-coyotes-to-move-to-las-vegas-under-new-owner/

I would be kind of surprised if this were true... They know Foley has the money and is willing to drop $500M on an expansion fee. They must feel confident they have it in 2-3 other cities, too... Assuming this is true.

It is the Post, but the way this whole Arixona thing has been handled, I wouldn't be surprised either way

I say a definite no to a 2nd Toronto team, I hate the idea with a passion. It would take fans away from the Sabres potentially along with giving us another annoying team to hear whine about everything and act snobbish. 

Leave it 16 v 16 Conferences, send Columbus/Detroit back west if Quebec enters the fray either by a move or expansion.

In your 3 Conference design I'd switch Ottawa with Washington, but would rather keep the 2 Conference system

Edited by thewookie1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.