Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

This may be a stupid question but hypothetically speaking could we sign a guy to a one year, 8 million dollar contract and then trade him to a contender at some point during the year or even right away and retain 90% of the salary just to help reach the cap floor and get something out of it at the same time?

can't retain more than 50%

This may be a stupid question but hypothetically speaking could we sign a guy to a one year, 8 million dollar contract and then trade him to a contender at some point during the year or even right away and retain 90% of the salary just to help reach the cap floor and get something out of it at the same time?

Yes but as Lanny points out only 50%.

IIRC they could make a deal to trade for a player with a year or two left on his deal and use a regular buyout to allow them to reach FA sooner. The salary would still count against the Sabres Cap.

On the other hand the NHL would probably frown on both these scenarios.

Edited by BRAWNDO

I think Ryan Miller will end up in San Jose. He'd be a good fit for the Sharks and the Bay area puts him much closer to his actress wife.

Sharks are reportedly only interested in getting a younger goalie if they're going to make a change. I think he does wind up in Vancouver or Pittsburgh.

I think Ryan Miller will end up in San Jose. He'd be a good fit for the Sharks and the Bay area puts him much closer to his actress wife.

It will be interesting to see, Pierre LeBrun was on GR this morning and stated the California Teams are moving away from Miller and that SJ was looking to get younger in goal. He sees the Canucks and Caps as possibilities. We will find out soon enough.

It will be interesting to see, Pierre LeBrun was on GR this morning and stated the California Teams are moving away from Miller and that SJ was looking to get younger in goal. He sees the Canucks and Caps as possibilities. We will find out soon enough.

Perhaps, but I don't buy what is "leaked" to the press these days. Teams have no incentive to tell the truth.

Perhaps, but I don't buy what is "leaked" to the press these days. Teams have no incentive to tell the truth.

What would be the point of SJ saying hey we aren't interested, we'd like to get younger. If there is no incentive to tell the truth there must be some incentive to lie. What is a teams incentive to lie about a free agent?

wow under 5 mill a year for Gaborik, if he stays healthy that is a bargain.

Barely under $5M. He has already had injury issues recently. That deal could be a disaster... But he helped them win a cup and that's what matters.

So have the Sabres reached out to anyone?

The first day of signing UFA's is usually about teams overpaying. I'm not even certain how often it actually helps the team. The Wild broke the bank for Suter and Parise and they're still not all that much more improved. I don't see the Sabres going there necessarily. Murray has stated numerous times that he does not think about the salary floor.

Players become free agents generally because they are overvaluing themselves or their existing team doesn't want them anymore. Most guys who are integral to their existing team's success are locked up.

Granted I'm not thinking about every UFA signed in the past 5-8 years but nothing is jumping out at me as a player who put the team over the top. (I know someone will point someone out, I look forward to it.)

Andy Strickland@andystrickland 45m

Potential UFA Steve Ott was contacted by 4 teams yesterday. #stlblues have made an offer but there appears to be a gap between the two sides

Andy Strickland@andystrickland 44m

Ott was effective in the playoffs but the #stlblues are unlikely to overpay for his services. Appears his asking price is a little high

I'm interested in how the FA "Frenzy" goes with teams being able to talk to players ahead of time. Seems like it'll be rather likely that agreements will leak out and it'll be a Frenzy like a bunch of posh society Brits finding out the last Beef Wellington has just been put out at the buffet line. That is to say, almost completely, but not entirely unlike what normal people would call a frenzy.

I'm interested in how the FA "Frenzy" goes with teams being able to talk to players ahead of time. Seems like it'll be rather likely that agreements will leak out and it'll be a Frenzy like a bunch of posh society Brits finding out the last Beef Wellington has just been put out at the buffet line. That is to say, almost completely, but not entirely unlike what normal people would call a frenzy.

We projected it'd make for better TV...

You know what it would do? It would make watching TSN on July 1st not un-######-bearable to watch like it has been the last 5+ years. Players might have their minds made up in time for the signing period, and hopefully the whole thing'd be over in about 4 hours. That's better TV than watching a small army of Canadian peckerheads staring at an unringing phone like it's got tits and speculating for 1056 straight hours.

What that might look like, so we're on the same page:

2znvf3d.jpg

Nailed it.

0.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing the Sabres get in on Pouliot.

@renlavoietva

Around 10 teams showed interest so far to Benoit Pouliot. He's looking for a long term contract and he will get it. #tvasports #rangers

@DarrenDreger

Trade senses are on high alert. Starting to sound like Kesler deal is inching closer. Still working on destination, but next 24hrs, perhaps.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@LouisJean_TVA: End of an era. Martin Brodeur will NOT return to New Jersey. As many as 6 suiters for his services. #Devils http://t.co/XurEazZuqf

Pens, Maple Leafs, Blackhawks and Bruins all mentioned. The Bruins and Pens make a lot of sense.

Brodeur is like a .906 goaltender the past 4 years. It would be a mistake for anybody to sign him.

Brodeur is like a .906 goaltender the past 4 years. It would be a mistake for anybody to sign him.

I think he'd do well in a very reduced role on a contender as a guy that plays 20 games which is what will end up happening. Postseason success and experience would be good for a guy like Fleury to learn from.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.