Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

I think this will be the difference next year. Maybe we will score a little more especially if we sign some veterans, but I think we will let in more goals that will keep us at the bottom 3-5. The bad thing about that is that you really want neuvirth or enroth to step up and prove they can be a #1 and put up good numbers

I think the Sabres will show a marked improvement this upcoming season. Girgenson should be better just from being a year older and wiser, our goaltending should be the same, and I believe Myers will kill it this yr..I want another last place finish I just dont see it happening...

I expect the Sabres to be more competitive but finish last again. I expect they'll work harder more consistently but won't be able to score goals and the goaltending will probably be worse than last year. If there is any chance that they don't finish last, Myers, Ehrhoff, Stewart and Stafford will be traded at or before this draft or the trade deadline. I'm hoping Murray is smart enough not to screw that up.

I expect the Sabres to be more competitive but finish last again. I expect they'll work harder more consistently but won't be able to score goals and the goaltending will probably be worse than last year. If there is any chance that they don't finish last, Myers, Ehrhoff, Stewart and Stafford will be traded at or before this draft or the trade deadline. I'm hoping Murray is smart enough not to screw that up.

Goals are the big issue. If this team scored 40 more goals last year it would have still only tied for last.

The top goal scorer only had 21 (Ennis).

For perspective, (and I say this just to highlight the problem) if this team just added Crosby's paper goal production from Pittsburgh last year, it still would have finished last in the league in goals.

Be prepared for a very bad season.

PLEASE NO

Understood. But I really never want to see Matty Ellis in a Sabres uniform again. Or Kanopka, Scott, and several others so money is no issue and we will need bodies. And good teammates for those that are here. Close to home, cup winning experience, two or three years younger than Ott maybe, could maybe score 20, add some grit and the overpay is something that's not an issue to us. I could see an argument for him.

Understood. But I really never want to see Matty Ellis in a Sabres uniform again. Or Kanopka, Scott, and several others so money is no issue and we will need bodies. And good teammates for those that are here. Close to home, cup winning experience, two or three years younger than Ott maybe, could maybe score 20, add some grit and the overpay is something that's not an issue to us. I could see an argument for him.

The team needs to find analogues from the guys who were here in '72-'73. Find them. (And none of them would have been high-priced free agents even if free agency existed then.) Those are the guys I want to train the Sabs' young'uns.

The team needs to find analogues from the guys who were here in '72-'73. Find them. (And none of them would have been high-priced free agents even if free agency existed then.) Those are the guys I want to train the Sabs' young'uns.

I think this off season, or actually the next few weeks is going to be fun and some stuff we'll love, and some we surely won't but the approach and tactic of GMTM is already a breath of fresh air. I'm sure if he had his way he wouldn't even need to spend to the cap floor this year. But my friend, the times they are a changing.

Purposely tanking is exactly what they did last year.

Some of us view toiling in mediocrity just to ice a "competitive" team as the functional equivalent of writing off several seasons, which is something you and others who argue this point don't seem to understand. Finishing 11th is as much of a waste of time as finishing 15th, except that it lacks the payoff of being truly awful.

Your second point is spot on. What Regier was more than happy to shoot for every year was vanilla in terms of icing a competitive team regardless of the fact that we came close a couple of times. Building through the draft and adding to that mix with tactful trades and the odd addition through free agency will be much more enjoyable once this ahem cough cough tank is over.

Cheaper than many thought, too:

Chris Johnston @reporterchris

Haven't nailed down the precise terms of Ryan Callahan's #TBLightning extension. Believed to be longer than five years at roughly $5.5M AAV.

(I know that his agent tweeted out that they were working towards a deal, but it seems like it's more than just playing the media. Seems to be happening).

Haven't nailed down the precise terms of Ryan Callahan's #TBLightning extension. Believed to be longer than five years at roughly $5.5M AAV.

(I know that his agent tweeted out that they were working towards a deal, but it seems like it's more than just playing the media. Seems to be happening).

I pray it explodes into shiny fragments, I refuse to watch the team with a team purely made of rubbish and 2 or 3 young gems. I want vet leadership with a bit of skill still........

I'd offer Callahan three options, same goes for Ott and Bolland at somewhat lower prices.

Callahan:

1x10 Offer to give him a boat load of cash and the ability to go to a contender at the deadline. (We can hold 50% of his contract thus making him only 5mil to another team.

2x9 We'll pay you big money now, and ask you for a hometown discount in 2 years when the team is becoming a contender.

6x5.5-6 You're coming here for the long haul and to mentor Girgensons in captainship

Ott:

1x7.8 Give us leadership and grit, and we'll find you a contender again.

2x6.25 We'll pay you big money now, and ask you for a hometown discount afterward

6x4.5-5 Come be our go to grit guy and lead by example

Bolland

1x9 Offer to give him a boat load of cash and the ability to go to a contender at the deadline.

6x5.5 Long term, help us get a cup and provide the youngsters with Cup Rings to oooh and aaah at.

Steve Ott making $4.5-$5 at 37 years old? :sick:

Let me correct that:

Steve Ott making $4.5-$5 at 31 years old? :sick: :sick: :sick:

I wouldn't sign any of those deals. If you're going to throw whacky money at somebody then do it with Stastny.

Let me correct that:

I wouldn't sign any of those deals. If you're going to throw whacky money at somebody then do it with Stastny.

We need to throw money at people to get to the floor and acquire vet leadership. And 4.5 in 4 years will probably be about right for a 3rd liner based on the cap inflation.

Let me correct that:

Stastny's agent is on the phone now. He'll do it but he wants 7x8 from us.

What's that? Ya me either!

I previously have said all along Vanek is going to get 9 mil. Despite it all I still think he will but maybe not from Minny.

The silly season is but days away and these GM's who need relief from themselves are going to be in a frenzy even more so due to the lack of high end guys.

So like I said 5x5 for Bolland. Ott I guess the same.

I understand Eleven (getting angry now) and Tanks feelings and would say I share them, But the wookie and me seem to realize whats on the radar more than you guys. Did you see the deal Markov got? How freaking stupid is that? But they did it. These deals are going down and we need to accept if not ever understand them.

Now then, who's got that goofy Ron Paul it's happening gif? or do we wait until The official start of silly season? The extra days of hype are going to contribute even more to these deals on top of it all.

What's everyone's fascination with Steve Ott. He's a third line mucker who annoys people. He's not even good. He just doesn't completely blow like the rest of the Sabres did last season.

If you really want Stasney to come to Buffalo $50 mill ain't gettin it done. He can get that from anyone. 70-80 mill might make him think about it for .5 seconds.

I'm almost positive that's less than he turned down from the Rangers. Seems to me he and his agent overreached on their demands. Maybe NHL GMs aren't as dumb as I thought :lol:

What's everyone's fascination with Steve Ott. He's a third line mucker who annoys people. He's not even good. He just doesn't completely blow like the rest of the Sabres did last season.

If you really want Stasney to come to Buffalo $50 mill ain't gettin it done. He can get that from anyone. 70-80 mill might make him think about it for .5 seconds.

On the first part: Exactly.

On the second one: He's not getting $10 mill a year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.