Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Guess we will have to spend our spare $10 or $15 million on lesser players.

With Callahan gone that should put our veteran leadership focus back on Ott.

I'm surprised the Rangers couldn't get it done for that price.

29-year-old UFA with second line skill, good defence and intangibles?

Looks like the going rate to me.

Maybe, like many of you, Sather thought Callahan was overrated.

It's not so much I think he's overrated, or even the amount of money...it's the term that always got me. For non-elite players the decline once that clock hits 30 is generally pretty pronounced. He's 29, undersized, plays a physical brand of hockey and has an injury history. I think locking him up until he's 35-36 is insane.

Please name a few, I'm honestly curious who these players are.

Milan Michalek may be one. Matt Moulson has the talent to warrant some of these terms being thrown around. Guys like that.

Obviously they have to want it, too, but I'd rather get Michalek on a 2/3 year deal around $4M than Ott on a 5-7 year deal at $5M.

Edited by Tankalicious

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Ryan Callahan and his agent expected this morning to finalize/sign off on contract with TB. Will be 5 or 6 yrs with likely AAV of $5.5M+.

And thank god. This was almost as annoying as hearing Kane to Buffalo... almost.

For free agency, we'll get some upgrades to the bottom 6 we will overpay them on contracts that are 3-4 years long and we will hit the cap floor. ZZZZZZ

This guy wants to come to the NHL lets grab him

http://www.elitepros...php?player=7617

I never thought he was coming. Nor is Moulson, Ott or anybody else with half a brain.

TM will grab some end of their career guys, like Danny Briere and some previously drafted teens like Fasching and off we go..

I do not pay income tax in other states when I travel for work. Am I doing it wrong?

My expense reporting system asks if you think you'll be working in that state for 30 days or more this year on a single project. I'm not sure why but I suspect that it's related to state taxable income. I've never worked enough in one state to worry about it.

So the tax advantage for playing for a team in Texas or Florida is only half, for the home games?

About half. The Florida player doesn't pay when he plays in Texas (or any other no-income-tax state), either, so it works out to a little more than half.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was the # of days actually spent in-state vs out-of-state that was the key metric -- not just # of games.

@lakingsinsider

Kings, Gaborik agree on a seven-year contract extension.

@AugieRunGood

#LAKings sign @MGaborik10 to a 7yr deal for 34Mil! #GoKingsGo #WelcomeBackGabo #WeAreAllKings #CelebrateStanley pic.twitter.com/7UZEBIGG3n

Interesting. I wonder how close that is to where Vanek ends up. Gaborik is a better player and has had a better career (and a much better 2014), but Vanek is 2 years younger.

@SNHockeyCentral: Report: Vancouver Canucks contact UFAs Ryan Miller, Dave Bolland http://t.co/vFak92GrQ0 @sportsnet

Just a heads up: I am updating the front page as news about relevant free agents become available. You can check there if you need a quick place to see what's been going on.

Edited by Tankalicious

Richards is one who they may have a shot at, given a New York address and a boatload of cash seem to be his priorities.

At best, he'd replace Vanek. And he is the type of diminishing asset that generally flops.

More power to them. Not going to jeopardize our lottery pick.

I like your thinking. I'd even give him 5 years. It's not like the team won't need a vet scorer when it finally comes together.

I'd love to have Moulson back! Grab Ott too and we'll have gotten all the deadline trades' acquisitions for McCormick, Miller, and 2 2nd rounders + rent a beer/otter

I'm good with overpaying Moulson too and am surprised that his name hasn't been mentioned anywhere. I would be shocked if the NYI aren't on the phone with him inquiring. And we are again a spot that's close to home for him.

This may be a stupid question but hypothetically speaking could we sign a guy to a one year, 8 million dollar contract and then trade him to a contender at some point during the year or even right away and retain 90% of the salary just to help reach the cap floor and get something out of it at the same time?

I'd love to have Moulson back! Grab Ott too and we'll have gotten all the deadline trades' acquisitions for McCormick, Miller, and 2 2nd rounders + rent a beer/otter

I just don't see what Ott has to offer years down the road. Don't get me wrong; I like the guy. But he's Hartnell without the scoring talent, and look what just happened to Hartnell.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.