Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Ryan Callahan and his agent expected this morning to finalize/sign off on contract with TB. Will be 5 or 6 yrs with likely AAV of $5.5M+.

And thank god. This was almost as annoying as hearing Kane to Buffalo... almost.

For free agency, we'll get some upgrades to the bottom 6 we will overpay them on contracts that are 3-4 years long and we will hit the cap floor. ZZZZZZ

This guy wants to come to the NHL lets grab him

http://www.elitepros...php?player=7617

Edited by LGR4GM

Guess we will have to spend our spare $10 or $15 million on lesser players.

With Callahan gone that should put our veteran leadership focus back on Ott.

I'm surprised the Rangers couldn't get it done for that price.

29-year-old UFA with second line skill, good defence and intangibles?

Looks like the going rate to me.

Maybe, like many of you, Sather thought Callahan was overrated.

Guess we will have to spend our spare $10 or $15 million on lesser players.

With Callahan gone that should put our veteran leadership focus back on Ott.

I'm surprised the Rangers couldn't get it done for that price.

29-year-old UFA with second line skill, good defence and intangibles?

Looks like the going rate to me.

Maybe, like many of you, Sather thought Callahan was overrated.

Some think that no state income Tax in FLA was a factor in Callahan's deal with TB.

Some think that no state income Tax in FLA was a factor in Callahan's deal with TB.

I can certainly except that premise. You are likely talking over $600K per year to NY State.

Does your 5%-9% calculation exclude road games in other states? Does Florida provide credits for income earned while working in another state?

What I am getting at is that athletes are required to file taxes for every state they earn income. So, they may not pay for income earned playing home games or other teams in Florida but they owe NYS for the games they play against the Sabres, Rangers, and Islanders.

Does your 5%-9% calculation exclude road games in other states? Does Florida provide credits for income earned while working in another state?

What I am getting at is that athletes are required to file taxes for every state they earn income. So, they may not pay for income earned playing home games or other teams in Florida but they owe NYS for the games they play against the Sabres, Rangers, and Islanders.

I do not pay income tax in other states when I travel for work. Am I doing it wrong?

I think my opposition to signing guys like Ott and Bolland just comes from the fact that I don't think you should spend my like you have to. I get that we have to spend some, but spend it smart. Don't act like you're in a ###### situation and overpay a bunch of third-line guys. Find the guys that can be had on more reasonable short-term deals.

I think my opposition to signing guys like Ott and Bolland just comes from the fact that I don't think you should spend my like you have to. I get that we have to spend some, but spend it smart. Don't act like you're in a ###### situation and overpay a bunch of third-line guys. Find the guys that can be had on more reasonable short-term deals.

Please name a few, I'm honestly curious who these players are.

So the tax advantage for playing for a team in Texas or Florida is only half, for the home games?

About half. The Florida player doesn't pay when he plays in Texas (or any other no-income-tax state), either, so it works out to a little more than half.

About half. The Florida player doesn't pay when he plays in Texas (or any other no-income-tax state), either, so it works out to a little more than half.

This still gives those team an extra $2M-$3.5M in effective cap space. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as these teams aren't spending to the cap.

This still gives those team an extra $2M-$3.5M in effective cap space. I suppose it doesn't matter as long as these teams aren't spending to the cap.

In Florida's case, it's compensation for having to live in/around Broward County.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.