World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

Not really , was pretty much expected, they are in one of the toughest groups with Italy and Uruguay, and Costa rica is surprising for sure.

I didn't expect them to get more than a point. Costa Rica is underrated (as is all of CONCACAF) and I think the best England will do is a draw.

England is in the middle of rebuilding. Good for them that they made the WCF, but that's about as far as they were going to go.

Edited by Eleven

I didn't expect them to get more than a point. Costa Rica is underrated (as is all of CONCACAF) and I think the best England will do is a draw.

England is in the middle of rebuilding. Good for them that they made the WCF, but that's about as far as they were going to go.

good perspective. it's heartening to hear that CONCACAF (whew - i could not type that without assistance) is on the rise.

Wow, nice reference!

I just know this is going to show up later during one of those games where we sit around in a garage with post it notes on our foreheads, trying to guess whatever it is that's scrawled up there. I'll stick to the racist crows from Dumbo, fair warning.

Costa Rica! Huge win over Italy puts them through to the next round and knocks out England. Great tournament so far for CONCACAF teams (except for Honduras, but they're terrible).

And it never looked like a lucky win, either. Costa Rica was in control.

Costa Rica! Huge win over Italy puts them through to the next round and knocks out England. Great tournament so far for CONCACAF teams (except for Honduras, but they're terrible).

And it never looked like a lucky win, either. Costa Rica was in control.

In qualifying it was clear that Costa Rica and the U.S. were at about the same level as the two best CONCACAF teams. Costa Rica can play. They deserved the win!

HFS!

I'm heading to wroclaw Poland this evening for 2 weeks, I'm sure the scene there for football will be quite more impressive than here in the states, too bad Poland doesn't have a team in this race, but nonetheless I'm excited to relax and enjoy the European culture.

I think the Netherlands have a legit shot of winning this year

Man. The Swiss have their own version of Marc Andre Fleury apparently.

Made a beaut of a save on a penalty. As for the other French goals ... yes, sir.

=====

As for the first match today ...

GO IRAN!!

Actually, best result would be a scoreless draw. Second best would be a 5 - 0 win for Messi.

Wasn't Walcott out all tourney too? Certainly didn't help their chances

Didn't know where to put this, but Hope Solo was arrested for two counts of domestic violence against her nephew and sister at a family party. Held in jail without bail currently

France is a bit of a surprise to me, i think ribery staying home might have liberated this young team.

Saw them in a friendly against a couple of months ago and they weren't impressing me, but so far they seem to be the strongest along with colombia.

That was quite unbelievable.

Substitutions in soccer are so ###### annoying. Half of extra time was taken because Argentina (just like every other leading team late in games) took advantage of the rules.

Basically just walk as slowly as possible, strike up conversation with a ref so you can walk slower, check your equipment that is no longer important since you're not playing and then watch the clock disappear.

Messi in extra time. Wow. That's why he is the best player in the world.

:censored:

And CR7 was voted world footballer of the year this year.

That was quite unbelievable.

Substitutions in soccer are so ###### annoying. Half of extra time was taken because Argentina (just like every other leading team late in games) took advantage of the rules.

Basically just walk as slowly as possible, strike up conversation with a ref so you can walk slower, check your equipment that is no longer important since you're not playing and then watch the clock disappear.

I'm with you on this ... total BS.

Didn't know where to put this, but Hope Solo was arrested for two counts of domestic violence against her nephew and sister at a family party. Held in jail without bail currently

Woahhh what the hell

Given some of her public outbursts, I can't say I'm overly surprised.