World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

We're plus five on Portugal in goal differential. I expect them to beat Ghana, but not by more than two goals. I don't think Germany will be too worried about running it up against us, they'll be content to advance and I'm sure the would rather the US advance with them than Portugal. It's playing out pretty much how I thought it would, a little more scoring though. I think Portugal beats Ghana but not by enough, we'll advance on the tie breaker.

Guest Sloth

But come on. How many people on here weren't left w/ a state of "what" when Portugal scored? It seemed as if the game was in the bag. Scoring in the final seconds in soccer is no comparison to any other sport. It's just mind blowing. Next to impossible. If Portugal didn't score on that rush, the game would have been over. Now everyone has to do a wait and see on Thursday. Beyond disappointed right now. And yes, if I was told the US would tie Portugal before the game was played I would have been happy. But they blew a lead/advancement to the Round of 16 in the final seconds. That just blows.

But come on. How many people on here weren't left w/ a state of "what" when Portugal scored? It seemed as if the game was in the bag. Scoring in the final seconds in soccer is no comparison to any other sport. It's just mind blowing. Next to impossible. If Portugal didn't score on that rush, the game would have been over. Now everyone has to do a wait and see on Thursday. Beyond disappointed right now. And yes, if I was told the US would tie Portugal before the game was played I would have been happy. But they blew a lead/advancement to the Round of 16 in the final seconds. That just blows.

I was thrilled they managed to get the game tied up but once they took the lead I was dying for the win. I wanted nothing less. I'm immensely disappointed.

You're on a Buffalo sports board.....today was like being handed a pepperoncini and being told, "be careful....it's hot...."

Well, you guys have a good shot still at making next round. 70% shot for sure, so many things would have to go wrong, ghana and portugal need to win and make up 2 and 4 goals to do so.

Even losing against germany might not be that bad, good shot at Quarterfinals to, because we are sucking.

Bites that the US/Germany game is being played at the same time as the Portugal/Ghana game. Would've been great to know exactly what the US has to do to advance. But yeah, I'm pulling for a Portugal/Ghana tie. If that happens, the US could get pounded and it wouldn't matter.

Here's why: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria

This, too: http://mentalfloss.c...tch-ever-played

Edited by Eleven

was the italian redcard one of those automatic things? it didn't seem that bad.

I didn't see it, but I read that he got the guy above the shinguard, which means he left his fate in the ref's hands as far as I'm concerned.

Italy is getting what it deserves for playing with ten men in its own box all freaking game.

Yeah he bit him, european teams taking a hammering though, won't be alot of us left :blink:

Belgium, france , germany and the netherlands are the only ones i think, also the youngest european teams.

Well Portual and switzerland might still sneak in.

Edited by Heimdall

Guest Sloth

Found something interesting. 538's World Cup forecasting model provides the probability of each team making the round of 16, quarters, semis, finals and winning it all. Based on 10,000 simations and is updated after each match. US has a 76% chance to advance to the round of 16. Ghana is at 20% and Portugal is at 5%.

No if we tie Germany we are automatically in. Same with Germany so we really should shake hands and both play to a 0-0 tie :).

But we could also lose and still get in by beating Ghana/Portugal in a tiebreaker (goal differential). We should root for a tie in that game but if someone has to win then root for Portugal because their goal differential is -4 vs -1 for Ghana

Ghana has to win by 2 to get in over us if we lose by 1. Portugal has to win by 5 to get in over us if we lose by 1.

Lots of ways in.

Missed these, thanks for the clarification