World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

Guest Sloth

Isn't Spain the world #1 leading into the WC?

Soon to be downgraded.

I know one sabrespacer that must be beside himself with joy.

Yep, made a mistake. Thought Germany was at number 1. Anyhow, an era is about to end.

There are some rumors that Ronaldo left today's training and is out for the World Cup. Has had a knee injury that their doctor told him could end up turning into a career-ending injury. They've denied that he's out for the World Cup.

Yet another example that aathletes can be too damn competitive for their own good and/or think they're invincible.

The african countries are letting me down a bit, Ivory coast will have to do it for all of them.

I remember my FIFA 90 something game for oringinal Game Boy that had Brazil and Camroon as the two hardest teams to play. Camroon didn't fair so well against Croatia this tournament, my brick of a Game Boy is turning in its grave.

Altidore is out against Portugal.

That's bad news, but another question is the status of CR7?

Is he in? If so, how healthy is he?

Being the prima donna that he is he may sit out and not risk further embarrassment against the US.

IMO, he looked like he was playing hurt against the Germans.

Not one of the European countries playing in this world cup who accepted a bailout during the Eurozone Crisis has won a match. Greece, Portugal, and Spain are a combine 0-4 with a -13 goal differential. Spain scoring the lone goal.

This was all a condition of the bailout.

Not one of the European countries playing in this world cup who accepted a bailout during the Eurozone Crisis has won a match. Greece, Portugal, and Spain are a combine 0-4 with a -13 goal differential. Spain scoring the lone goal.

This was all a condition of the bailout.

Not only that, but all three, especially the holders, had to do their part to ensure the continuation of the time honoured tradition of ... no European team ever winning a WC held in South America.

I heard on NPR last night a story about Univision's coverage of the World Cup. (Side note: I'm mad at myself that I didn't think to check Univision to watch games since I get it on my antenna (but not ABC)).

Anyways, during a match involving Costa Rico, the Univision announcers were calling the one Afro-Costa Rican player the Spanish equivalent of "the black guy" or referencing his dreds, "the hair guy". "Ruiz passes back to the black guy, back to Ruiz, to Cubero, to Mr. Hair". :doh:

I heard on NPR last night a story about Univision's coverage of the World Cup. (Side note: I'm mad at myself that I didn't think to check Univision to watch games since I get it on my antenna (but not ABC)).

Anyways, during a match involving Costa Rico, the Univision announcers were calling the one Afro-Costa Rican player the Spanish equivalent of "the black guy" or referencing his dreds, "the hair guy". "Ruiz passes back to the black guy, back to Ruiz, to Cubero, to Mr. Hair". :doh:

Ok, only calling him by a nickname, especially 'the black guy', is not cool. That being said, Mr. Hair is a little funny.

Edited by sabills

England lost first two games. Have almost no chance advancing. Very disappointing.

Not really , was pretty much expected, they are in one of the toughest groups with Italy and Uruguay, and Costa rica is surprising for sure.

Not only that, but all three, especially the holders, had to do their part to ensure the continuation of the time honoured tradition of ... no European team ever winning a WC held in South America.

We will change that tradition this year :P

they are in one of the toughest groups with Italy and Uruguay, and Costa rica is surprising for sure.

I mean, I thought our group was tough. But Italy and Uruguay?! I guess maybe Ghana, Portugal, Germany are tougher in the aggregate, but England's first 2 games were against very strong teams.