Semifinals Thread

Eleven

Well, NYC isn't for everyone -- and in the summer it's not for me either -- but there is quite a bit of misinformation flying around here.

As for the game -- the Habs showed quite a bit of heart tonight. Good for them. I didn't see Vanek do much -- not sure he had more than a couple of shifts in the 2nd & 3rd periods.

I thought Moore's hit was definitely suspension-worthy, although probably 15% or so less bad than Prust's.

I love NYC. We go a couple of times each year. Usually in Spring and then again in Fall. We try and stay on Times Square. It is such an eclectic mix of people. From there we branch out across the city doing something different each time we go. My only gripe is that it is so bleeping expensive. They want 24 bucks to enter the 9/11 museum. That's outrageous.

Well, NYC isn't for everyone -- and in the summer it's not for me either -- but there is quite a bit of misinformation flying around here.

As for the game -- the Habs showed quite a bit of heart tonight. Good for them. I didn't see Vanek do much -- not sure he had more than a couple of shifts in the 2nd & 3rd periods.

I thought Moore's hit was definitely suspension-worthy, although probably 15% or so less bad than Prust's.

I'm mostly screwing around. Mostly.

1. Here's another example of why Subban would be wearing a letter if he hadn't held out: http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/john-moores-dirty-hit-on-dale-weise-may-prove-to-be-the-turning-point-in-montreals-favor-against-rangers/

2. d4rk, agreed that Vigneault has no idea how to handle goalies, and probably never will.

It's all sorts of wrong, but part of me enjoyed the retributive justice when the Rangers player (sorry - name escapes me) went late, high, and cheap on the Habs agitator (Wiese? (sic)).

It's John Moore and he will be suspended. What retributive justice? The Rangers started the dirty stuff in this series when Kreider got reckless around Price.

It's John Moore and he will be suspended. What retributive justice? The Rangers started the dirty stuff in this series when Kreider got reckless around Price.

I was, as I'm sure you inferred, referring to the hit Prust put on Stepan. (I apologize if I'm getting names wrong - I won't purport to have these guys' names/games committed to memory.) I understand your point about Kreider/Price, but, even setting aside whether that play 'started it,' that incident was a bit apples/oranges with what Prust then did to Stepan. There was a visual symmetry, however, to the Prust/Stepan hit and the Moore/Wiese hit. I happened to see both of them live, so, in my mind, the latter was exacted in response to the former. I'm not saying that perception is even accurate. It's just how I experienced it in the moment.

And, as I said, I'm not at all proud of taking any entertainment value from all of this. I just copped to it is all.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Just curious -- for those expressing negative views about NYC: how many of you have spent any time here? i.e. more than just a weekend or two in an overpriced, crappy hotel room?

I was thinking the same thing. Once you get away from the tourist areas, it's like most big cities. The biggest difference is with the number of people (and the massive subway system), stuff that would appeal to a small percentage of people can make a go of it because a small percentage of 10M is a lot.

Just curious -- for those expressing negative views about NYC: how many of you have spent any time here? i.e. more than just a weekend or two in an overpriced, crappy hotel room?

The longest I've ever been to NYC was a 4 day weekend, and we actually stayed on Staten Island because it was cheaper. My only knock against the city, which is my knock against any major city, is that there are too many people for me. Both times I've been to NYC, I've had a panic attack when I got to a really crowded area (i.e. a subway exit that was under construction that way too many people were trying to move thru at once). Other than that, I didn't mind NYC. Everything is much faster paced in some places, but that's expected.

I was thinking the same thing. Once you get away from the tourist areas, it's like most big cities. The biggest difference is with the number of people (and the massive subway system), stuff that would appeal to a small percentage of people can make a go of it because a small percentage of 10M is a lot.

It's not like most big cities. It's better. If I ever won the lottery, in addition to my 1000 acre ranch would be an appt in the city.

This suspension should be longer than Prust's for no other reason than to send the message that retribution should be in the form of goals scored and not head shots.

The Kreider/Price incident was nothing like this in my opinion. If they want to say it precipitated things then so be it but it's not even in the same area code from my perspective.

I go there all the time. (Well, lately, I try to send someone else!) I love Washington and Chicago, I just cannot stand New York (or Boston, for that matter). The grime, the attitude, the just about everything.

I love visiting NYC for brief periods of time when I'm there to blow some money, but I couldn't live there. After a week and a half in that city I get super depressed- I gotta have sky. The only big city I've been able to stand for longer periods of time is Paris- no skyscrapers in most of the city. It feels open.

Never spent any time to speak of in Brooklyn or any of the other boroughs, so who knows, maybe I'd love it there. I've turned down several jobs in the city because I know I'd go insane.

I love visiting NYC for brief periods of time when I'm there to blow some money, but I couldn't live there. After a week and a half in that city I get super depressed- I gotta have sky. The only big city I've been able to stand for longer periods of time is Paris- no skyscrapers in most of the city. It feels open.

Never spent any time to speak of in Brooklyn or any of the other boroughs, so who knows, maybe I'd love it there. I've turned down several jobs in the city because I know I'd go insane.

Brooklyn and Queens (for the most part) are more like the Elmwood area in Buffalo. Houses or low apartment buildings (3-5 stories). Parts of Brooklyn are building up fast though with the influx of Hipster money.

I love NYC. We go a couple of times each year. Usually in Spring and then again in Fall. We try and stay on Times Square. It is such an eclectic mix of people. From there we branch out across the city doing something different each time we go. My only gripe is that it is so bleeping expensive. They want 24 bucks to enter the 9/11 museum. That's outrageous.

They've got to make money off the horrible tragedy that still tears at many families somehow!

The longest I've ever been to NYC was a 4 day weekend, and we actually stayed on Staten Island because it was cheaper. My only knock against the city, which is my knock against any major city, is that there are too many people for me. Both times I've been to NYC, I've had a panic attack when I got to a really crowded area (i.e. a subway exit that was under construction that way too many people were trying to move thru at once). Other than that, I didn't mind NYC. Everything is much faster paced in some places, but that's expected.

It's not like most big cities. It's better. If I ever won the lottery, in addition to my 1000 acre ranch would be an appt in the city.

I think the above are all pretty accurate. There are lots of people who don't like crowds or big cities generally -- and NYC is definitely not for those people, who might still like a smaller, quieter city (like Buffalo) or maybe just prefer the suburbs or the country.

OTOH, if you do like cities, NYC, IMHO, is the best of the best. It has everything -- quick-witted, accomplished and interesting people, professional opportunities, art, literature, music, architecture, public parks, the ocean, public transportation, movie stars and supermodels walking down the sidewalk like everyone else, young people, young families, old people (it's a great place to retire), people from all over the world, delivery everything, etc. etc. etc.

NYC also has the best food in the world by a mile.

There are certainly a million little hassles here. For many people, living here is worth paying that price, but I can understand why it isn't worth it for many.

What I don't agree with is paying that price for living in a city that isn't worth the hassle. 11 and I have disagreed on this before, but I regard DC -- and I've lived there for an extended period -- as a borderline awful place. Living there (and many other places) gets you all of the traffic, cost and other big-city hassles without sufficient benefits to make it worthwhile.

What I don't agree with is paying that price for living in a city that isn't worth the hassle. 11 and I have disagreed on this before, but I regard DC -- and I've lived there for an extended period -- as a borderline awful place. Living there (and many other places) gets you all of the traffic, cost and other big-city hassles without sufficient benefits to make it worthwhile.

I go to DC for work all the time. I disagree with you here. DC is awesome. Except in the heat of summer when it is uninhabitable. But all cities are brutal in the heat of summer.

Good point on the food, Freeman. My cousins live in Park Slope right off 5th ave and the sheer amount of delicious restaurants in a 1 mile radius is mind blowing. You can get food from a different part of the world every day of the week. Last night I made the mistake of getting a sushi roll at a local restaurant while memories of the Manhattan sushi lounge were fresh on my taste buds. Not. Even. Close.

And we're still making our way through the 2 dozen bagels we brought back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.