2014-2015 Roster

Stads

They could offer the number 2 pick and it wouldn't matter. Spezza holds the hammer.

According to Dreger, Buffalo is not one of ten teams he put on his list of 10 he wouldn't go to

This discussion topic is beyond annoying. Why not provide some actual relevant discussion? Oh wait, it's because you're Mike Schopp.

Everybody invoked (Ottawa, Spezza and Buffalo say no)

First he threw it out there acknowledging that he just wanted to gauge reaction.

Second, Murray was very coy when discussing his interest the other day finally acknowledging that the timeline might not be right for deals like these

According to Dreger, Buffalo is not one of ten teams he put on his list of 10 he wouldn't go to

First he threw it out there acknowledging that he just wanted to gauge reaction.

Second, Murray was very coy when discussing his interest the other day finally acknowledging that the timeline might not be right for deals like these

People have been saying Spezza doesn't have Buffalo on his list. The only thing I saw that Dreger said was four teams that ARE on. Did he say Buffalo isn't? Because it's a ten-team list. Dreger may only know four.

And if they're not on it it's for the same reason that Toronto and Montreal aren't: because he knows Ottawa won't trade him to those teams.

They said on the radio it was the six other Canadian teams, NYI, CBJ, Nashville and Florida.

Sorry don't have a link.

Actually they said he left Toronto and Montreal off because he knows Ottawa won't trade him there. I posted a tweet somewhere saying that.

So it would be Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, NYI, Nashville, Columbus, Florida and two other teams.

Probably knows we aren't in a position to be interested. We have made it clear what we intend to do. Why waste a slot? I think we are the only team who is so openly tanking - florida and edmonton just suck every year, but it isn't through lack of trying

Probably knows we aren't in a position to be interested. We have made it clear what we intend to do. Why waste a slot? I think we are the only team who is so openly tanking - florida and edmonton just suck every year, but it isn't through lack of trying

I think by the 2nd half of the season you will see a number of teams in a spirited race to the bottom.

Actually they said he left Toronto and Montreal off because he knows Ottawa won't trade him there. I posted a tweet somewhere saying that.

So it would be Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, NYI, Nashville, Columbus, Florida and two other teams.

No, they said that Dreger said that Montreal and Toronto were on the list

Okay, I hope Murray doesn't offer Ottawa the #2 pick then. :lol:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I want Spezza, just saying that Buffalo is reportedly not on list and TM supposedly hinted that he had had that conversation.

Guest Sloth

I think by the 2nd half of the season you will see a number of teams in a spirited race to the bottom.

Won't be able to catch the Sabres! There's a good chance Buffalo will score fewer goals than the 13-14 season.

No, they said that Dreger said that Montreal and Toronto were on the list

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I want Spezza, just saying that Buffalo is reportedly not on list and TM supposedly hinted that he had had that conversation.

right. it is possible then. Isn't Spezza from Oakville or Missasauga?

I'm not sure he's the right player for the Sabres at this age, but if Buffalo isn't on the no go list, at least it may be possible.

I can see this happening:

@MikeInBuffalo

Another name to look for w/ the #Sabres is Anton Volchenkov if the #Devils go the buyout route. BUF may claim him for his $4.25M salary.

I wouldn't mind that. Used to be a great PKer and decent 3rd *pairing* (not that we need more of that type...)

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

I can see this happening:

@MikeInBuffalo

Another name to look for w/ the #Sabres is Anton Volchenkov if the #Devils go the buyout route. BUF may claim him for his $4.25M salary.

We need to add about $18 million in salary just to hit the cap floor. I've always thought picking up a high priced d-man (hopefully to take the place of RFA McBain) is a good way to help add salary. With all the youngsters on defense, we could use another veteran d-man. Volchenkov brings just about nothing on the offensive end, but he goes about 225 and is tough as nails. He hits to hurt people.

We probably need to pick up two high salary forwards as well, either by trade or free agency - hopefully a center and a left wing.

Murray wants a bigger, tougher team, that much seems clear... McBain is our smallest d-man (180 lbs.) so he may be someone Murray wants to replace.

Edited by Potato

We need to add about $18 million in salary just to hit the cap floor. I've always thought picking up a high priced d-man (hopefully to take the place of RFA McBain) is a good way to help add salary. With all the youngsters on defense, we could use another veteran d-man. Volchenkov brings just about nothing on the offensive end, but he goes about 225 and is tough as nails. He hits to hurt people.

We probably need to pick up two high salary forwards as well, either by trade or free agency - hopefully a center and a left wing.

Murray wants a bigger, tougher team, that much seems clear... McBain is our smallest d-man (180 lbs.) so he may be someone Murray wants to replace.

Hitting the floor won't be hard. Yes we need $18 mil, but we only have 15 players signed. Ennis gets a Hodgson-like extension, full the roster with cheap vets, and you're basically there.

Haven't heard any whispers of this at all, but Tyler Ennis tops my list of Sabre most likely to be traded at the draft.

This is simply because he has value to other teams, but may not fit into the Sabres long-term plans.

He's a good fit for a decent team looking to add a bit of offensive pop and may be considered expendable if Murray decides to make a big move.

Game on! I am predicting that Ennis will not be traded. Nolan has spoken highly of him. He is also one of the only Sabre forwards with speed and offensive skill.

I think if there is a surprise trade of a forward, the most likely candidates are Hodgson and Foligno -- but I'm not really expecting either of those to happen either.

I think Ehrhoff is the most likely NHL-level Sabre of note to be traded.

I also think trades of picks and prospects are the most likely to occur, with the return being young players and/or prospects a bit further ahead on the development curve a la Fasching.

Game on! I am predicting that Ennis will not be traded. Nolan has spoken highly of him. He is also one of the only Sabre forwards with speed and offensive skill.

I think if there is a surprise trade of a forward, the most likely candidates are Hodgson and Foligno -- but I'm not really expecting either of those to happen either.

I think Ehrhoff is the most likely NHL-level Sabre of note to be traded.

I also think trades of picks and prospects are the most likely to occur, with the return being young players and/or prospects a bit further ahead on the development curve a la Fasching.

They closer we get to draft day and free agency, the more I want Ehrhoff to be traded. Not just for him but for us. I think it's the best move for the Sabres and for Ehrhoff. Get him out of here like we did Regehr. Let's get more picks and prospects.

Also, I think there's a chance Foligno gets moved before his shine wears off. He hasn't performed quite to the level I thought he would and although he still has time to come around, there's something in his game that is missing. I would trade him sooner rather than later if there's return to be had.

I'd like to see Jordan Nolan brought in. He's got his Cup with LA. Time to get him in a Sabres uni. He's nasty and fans would love him.

Hitting the floor won't be hard. Yes we need $18 mil, but we only have 15 players signed. Ennis gets a Hodgson-like extension, full the roster with cheap vets, and you're basically there.

Mathematically, there is no combination of our current roster (UFAs, RFAs, Rochester call-ups) that gets us to the cap floor short of handing out ludicrous raises all over the place, which won't happen. After resigning Foligno, Ennis, and a few others, we're still roughly $5-$6 million below the cap. We need at least two relatively expensive new players (i.e. guys brought in from another organization) to hit the floor.

The best way to look at picking up Spezza or Volchenkov is that we need successful NHL vets to help develop all the young guys on our roster. We are not bringing them in to win now, we are bringing them in for the leadership (which is why we will have to overpay). We have the cap space, why not just do it right? Who knows, maybe in two seasons when we are ready to make a playoff push, they will like it here and have good things to say to other top tier players around the league and we will look more attractive as a free agent landing spot?

@Wham_City: Friedman says Montreal and Toronto are not on Spezza's no-trade list here at 24:30 http://t.co/6DsfdsZHaP

I listened to part of what Dreger said. He said that he won't play for any of the Canadian teams and never said directly that they're all on his list. People assumed he meant they are.

But it's a non-issue. He won't be traded to Buffalo, Montreal or Toronto.

Edited by Tankalicious

@Wham_City: Friedman says Montreal and Toronto are not on Spezza's no-trade list here at 24:30 http://t.co/6DsfdsZHaP

I listened to part of what Dreger said. He said that he won't play for any of the Canadian teams and never said directly that they're all on his list. People assumed he meant they are.

I always thought Spezza wanted to be in TO.

IIRC, it was reported that Spezza wants out of OTT because of the spotlight on him there. I'm guessing the "I don't want to play for the other 6 Canadian teams" thing was extrapolated out of him not wanting to be under so much scrutiny.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.