2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Mathematically, there is no combination of our current roster (UFAs, RFAs, Rochester call-ups) that gets us to the cap floor short of handing out ludicrous raises all over the place, which won't happen. After resigning Foligno, Ennis, and a few others, we're still roughly $5-$6 million below the cap. We need at least two relatively expensive new players (i.e. guys brought in from another organization) to hit the floor.

I guess I misinterpreted your "high salary forwards" comment. I took it to mean $5-6 mil guys, not $3 mil.

I've missed Kaleta. He can actually skate with speed and hit things. Also his stick skills are underrated.

He should and will be given every opportunity to come back from his injury. It's really tough to come back from something like that, especially from someone who fills a completely physical role in this league.

More from Murray at his presser with the media this morning:

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres GM Tim Murray tells media he's been trying to get another first round pick, talks ongoing. #NHLDraft

Murray: "You can't miss in drafts." #NHLDraft

Murray on reaching cap floor: "It's easy to spend money. I don't like spending money but it's easy. People want your money."

Murray says he wants #Sabres to be competitive next season.

Murray on #Sabres in first round: "We're taking the best player available."

Murray on #Sabres going into #NHLDraft: "It'll be busy. Lots of calls. Lots of talk."

Murray says #Sabres Coach Ted Nolan has been speaking with numerous assistant coach candidates. "It's in the process."

#Sabres GM Tim Murray on Pat Kaleta: He'll start camp with the Buffalo Sabres. He's been working every day this summer to get ready.

u6fvzsbU_normal.jpegDennis Bernstein @DennisTFP · 28m

"@deaderhead28: @DennisTFP @aaronamberg So Dennis, who goes? Nolan,Greene,Shultz,Fraser,?"Nolan maybe Greene

u6fvzsbU_normal.jpegDennis Bernstein @DennisTFP · 13m

"@DFire13: @DennisTFP @deaderhead28 @aaronamberg trade Nolan to buffalo for another D prospect"/sure

The thing about Buffalo, they don't have to give up a thing. They would just wait on the waiver wire.

The thing about Buffalo, they don't have to give up a thing. They would just wait on the waiver wire.

I think that has to be the plan. Just see who shows up and grab which ever one fits. I would like to see Nolan here. The Darth Vader/Luke thing would be cool.

I think Ennis, Hodgson, and Foligno are all on the block if it gets Murray his other first round pick. All three have clear deficiencies: size for Ennis, compete and size for Hodgson, skill and compete for Foligno. I would not be surprised if one of those three goes away, although I think Ennis is the most valuable.

Stafford probably won't be traded...I bet Murray is going to gamble that his game picks up during the season and try and trade him away before the deadline. Seems the wisest course of action with that guy, to me.

I think that has to be the plan. Just see who shows up and grab which ever one fits. I would like to see Nolan here. The Darth Vader/Luke thing would be cool.

I think Ennis, Hodgson, and Foligno are all on the block if it gets Murray his other first round pick. All three have clear deficiencies: size for Ennis, compete and size for Hodgson, skill and compete for Foligno. I would not be surprised if one of those three goes away, although I think Ennis is the most valuable.

Stafford probably won't be traded...I bet Murray is going to gamble that his game picks up during the season and try and trade him away before the deadline. Seems the wisest course of action with that guy, to me.

Agreed on Ennis and Foligno. However, you can say a lot about Hodgson... Complaining about his size isn't one of them. He's got good size for what he does and should be doing.

Good point.

I wouldn't trade any of those for a 1st rounder. Especially in this draft. You can only decimate a team so much. At some point you just gotta say enough is enough. TWENTY top two round picks in FOUR years as of right now. Really.............. enough is enough.

Agreed on Ennis and Foligno. However, you can say a lot about Hodgson... Complaining about his size isn't one of them. He's got good size for what he does and should be doing.

I have those moments, too, where I type like I just emigrated from Russia.

Hodgson is listed at 6', but, I wonder if that's inflated. Dude has the presence of a 5'4"-er.

I wouldn't trade any of those for a 1st rounder. Especially in this draft. You can only decimate a team so much. At some point you just gotta say enough is enough. TWENTY top two round picks in FOUR years as of right now. Really.............. enough is enough.

You'd put the kibosh on Foligno and/or Hodgson for a first rounder? I wouldn't. An Ennis deal would need to be less cut-n-dry, but Murray wants size. If Ennis were a bigger man Murray would be gushing about him like he did (in his own manner) Girgensons.

You'd put the kibosh on Foligno and/or Hodgson for a first rounder? I wouldn't. An Ennis deal would need to be less cut-n-dry, but Murray wants size. If Ennis were a bigger man Murray would be gushing about him like he did (in his own manner) Girgensons.

Yes I would. Not everybody on the team needs to be 6'4" 240#. I thought Murray spoke pretty highly of Ennis today. I'm just saying you can only tear apart a team so much. I can't hold this past season against Hodgson, or any other Sabre for that matter. What he brings to the team couldn't have been brought with what surrounded him. Nine 1st rounders in four years. That's enough, let's get to the draft and get this show on the road!

I guess I'm all in. I don't see Hodgson or Foligno on a contending team, so, while the shop is still open they may as well sell.

Frankly, I'd like to see Foligno prove me wrong. He seems like a good kid.

I guess I'm all in. I don't see Hodgson or Foligno on a contending team, so, while the shop is still open they may as well sell.

Should be an interesting couple of weeks.

Every fan-base is known for demanding certain things:

• The Bruins demand physical hockey from their team every year
  • The Rangers demand big name players in their team every year
  • The Canadiens demand French-speaking coaches in their team every year
  • The Sabres demand our top point scorer be traded every year

There's always a Lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city.

Edited by ThirtyEight

I have those moments, too, where I type like I just emigrated from Russia.

Hodgson is listed at 6', but, I wonder if that's inflated. Dude has the presence of a 5'4"-er.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ennis gets moved - if not this year then next. I just don't think he fits Murray's prototype. The same goes for Enroth.

That's not to say they are bad players, I just think that Murray wants players that are harder to move through when you are trying to get out the subway door.

I'd like to see Hodson stay. I won't be upset terribly if they move him, but, on a slightly better team and playing wing, I think he is a guy that can approach 30 goals per season. Going forward, I see him as a very good powerplay guy and a possible first or second line WINGER (just not a center.)

As for Ennis, I'd like to see him stay also. Foligno? I don't know. I am starting to think he is a bit over-rated by fans in the area. Right now, it has been a couple of years since I have seen anything from him to think he would be anything other than a 4th liner or a guy who can occasionally fill in as a third liner. I know he is young so consistency may still come, but I also think there may be better versions of what he is in the minors or the upcoming drafts.

None of us would probably think of Jordan Nolan as somebody on a Cup team if we spent the last three years watching him play 1-2 lines above his talent level. And yet, there he was...twice.

None of us would probably think of Jordan Nolan as somebody on a Cup team if we spent the last three years watching him play 1-2 lines above his talent level. And yet, there he was...twice.

Foligno is starting to fall into the "concept of Marcus". He needs to play with that reckless abandon when he came into the league. Like someone is trying to take your job (Gus already did BTW) and you're going to be damned sure you are doing everythingin your power to prevent it.

Foligno is starting to fall into the "concept of Marcus". He needs to play with that reckless abandon when he came into the league. Like someone is trying to take your job (Gus already did BTW) and you're going to be damned sure you are doing everythingin your power to prevent it.

FWIW I think he'll be much better since he got his shoulder worked on. I think he held back a bunch last year.

FWIW I think he'll be much better since he got his shoulder worked on. I think he held back a bunch last year.

I hope you are right. I'm starting to lose faith.

He just doesn't play the way he did coming out of junior: he over handles the puck and isn't barrelling into the front of the net any more.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.