2014-2015 Roster

Stads

Why do people want Conacher back, other than he is a Canisius product? And, why do people want D'Agostini back? These guys are dime-a-dozen players.

They're dime-a-dozen players who would just be replaced by others of the same ilk, so may as well keep the ones we have. Really makes no difference.

They're dime-a-dozen players who would just be replaced by others of the same ilk, so may as well keep the ones we have. Really makes no difference.

Murray could sign free agents in their stead who would be an instant upgrade (e.g., the Callahan or Ott ideas aren't terrible) or could hand those spots to youngsters who have growth potential (e.g., Deslauriers, Larsson, etc.). Can bring back Kaleta for one of the 4th line wing spots next year too.

Edit: He is new to the team, but I'll throw Torrey Mitchell in the "dime a dozen" category too. I like his speed though.

Edited by Potato

Is Kaleta definitely done here? And please no Scott.

No. I think he would have made a return to Buffalo at some point if he hadn't gotten injured. His game is fine if he would just remove some of the dumbass plays of cross checking and such. I think Buffalo has room on its 3rd or 4th line for him.

I don't know if it has been discussed yet, but i figured this would be a good spot to ask:

How important could it be for this franchise to just bring back Ott first thing July 1? If Steve is willing to come back does that make other vet FA's listen and see what we have here? If we have a great draft does that help at all? I would think with Terrys bargaining power and the way this organization treats its players, some bigger names might be willing to listen if a guy like Ott is willing to come back.

No. I think he would have made a return to Buffalo at some point if he hadn't gotten injured. His game is fine if he would just remove some of the dumbass plays of cross checking and such. I think Buffalo has room on its 3rd or 4th line for him.

Agreed on the dumbassery. I wonder if there's room though given the glut of 3rd and 4th liners. I'd expect Nolan or Pegula or someone is going to have to go to bat for him. TM is probably like "meh". Looks like he's signed through next season though, maybe they bury in ROC.

Kaleta is the type of guy who inspires strong feelings, so Tim Murray may already have a very strong opinion of him that we haven't heard. But I say if it is up to Nolan, he'll be given a shot in training camp to redeem himself and will probably be playing 10-12 minutes a night next year. He's an upgrade on Konopka and Ellis and other who were playing those roles last year.

Edited by dudacek

• 2 weeks later...

Given Murray's talk about focusing on improving the bottom six to give the kids some support, here's a sobering thought:

Stafford Stewart Ennis and Hodgson will almost certainly be in our top six next year and its unlikely we will add anyone significantly better.

Mitchell will have a spot on the fourth line and Kaleta should be given a shot to join him.

Zemgus, Foligno, Conacher and maybe the guy we pick at 2 will be asked to challenge for top nine spots.

And I expect at least two legitimate NHL players to be added through free agency and/or trade.

Larsson, Deslauriers and Flynn are the kids most likely to see bottom six work.

Unless Armia or Grigorenko surprises, or Zemgus and Foligno take major leaps, it's going to be very, very hard to score goals.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.