Nolan/Murray LIVE Press Conference (4/15/14) at 1 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

Yes. I was wondering about that too.

I hope that meant they will have to "want" to come to us.

The idea of the Sabres waiting for free agents to come to them is ridiculous.

One thing I was told many times from my conduit to the DR regime was that the Sabres FA recruiting problem is as real as it gets. Therefore...tank on!

The Scott suspension (7 games) vs Rinaldo suspension (4 games) and the McCabe hit on Paille that was called a 5 min major interference penalty with a gamer.

Was that because of the comments Nolan made after the game? Or did they say something to the league that they didn't like? Because I remember Nolan's comments and they weren't that bad.

Sorry to go off topic, last question I promise.

One thing I was told many times from my conduit to the DR regime was that the Sabres FA recruiting problem is as real as it gets. Therefore...tank on!

Then what were the real issues as expressed by these FA's? (as opposed to us making up potential issues)

Yep.

So that means the Sabres aren't pursuing free agents. Don't get rid of those Tank Avatars.

He said he wants free agents (he mentioned wanting a couple) but I think he merely pointed out that it is a two way street and they also have to want to come to Buffalo. His choice of words was awkward... but people are reading way too much into it. He'll go after some free agents.

Murray said he's looking for two good veteran free agents this summer. Guys that are likely 3rd line guys or higher that can lead by example and provide support for the kids.

Is anyone thinking that Steve Ott isn't one of them? Murray's said in the past how much he loves him.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Murray described, essentially, what happened this season when he outlined "how to tank".

I found it interesting that he bristled at the idea of tanking yet, when he described what a team would need to do in order to tank he described exactly what the Sabres did. Put all of your young talented players in the minors and populate the 2nd and 3rd line with 4th liners.

I think they took flack for the public acknowledgement of tanking and are now not going to discuss it happening publicly.

Murray said he's looking for two good veteran free agents this summer. Guys that are likely 3rd line guys or higher that can lead by example and provide support for the kids.

Is anyone thinking that Steve Ott isn't one of them? Murray's said in the past how much he loves him.

Did he not specifically say that he would be looking for bottom 6 FA's?

I like that he said whoever they pick in the 1st round this year will probably be back in juniors for the season after they draft him.

Agreed. Don't want the team improving too much :nana:

On a serious note, I'm glad he believes in not rushing prospects. Except in rare cases, I just don't believe in the "He's too good for X league and won't learn anything" meme that seems to be common recently. Icing a team of teenagers isn't good for them or the team.

He said he wants free agents (he mentioned wanting a couple) but I think he merely pointed out that it is a two way street and they also have to want to come to Buffalo. His choice of words was awkward... but people are reading way too much into it. He'll go after some free agents.

I wasn't really intending to make too much of it.

I think Murray is much more of a natural trader than a shopper.

I like that he said whoever they pick in the 1st round this year will probably be back in juniors for the season after they draft him.

I heard him say that I wanted to know if people thought that it could be an improvement over immediately starting an 18yr old in the NHL. 1st/2nd overall picks most times make the jump but is it better long term for even them to stay in Juniors that extra year. Reinhart for instance is really good but would he be great if he had an extra year to grow up. We all want to be better and such but our 1st this year and Zadorov, Risto those guys all stay away in their respective leagues for one additional year, do people think it will be more beneficial in the long haul.

I heard him say that I wanted to know if people thought that it could be an improvement over immediately starting an 18yr old in the NHL. 1st/2nd overall picks most times make the jump but is it better long term for even them to stay in Juniors that extra year. Reinhart for instance is really good but would he be great if he had an extra year to grow up. We all want to be better and such but our 1st this year and Zadorov, Risto those guys all stay away in their respective leagues for one additional year, do people think it will be more beneficial in the long haul.

I'm headed to class but if I find some time later I'll check the stats/careers on the 1st/2nd overall picks being called up vs. staying in juniors/some league.

The additional year in Juniors comment seemed to be directed at ekblad. Defensemen tend to take longer to develop, and they need to be more ready, as you can't shield their minutes as much while they're learning.

Agreed. Don't want the team improving too much :nana:

On a serious note, I'm glad he believes in not rushing prospects. Except in rare cases, I just don't believe in the "He's too good for X league and won't learn anything" meme that seems to be common recently. Icing a team of teenagers isn't good for them or the team.

In our case, it's just as much a case of the big club not being good enough for whoever we draft.

Putting a youngster on the current roster is a surefire way to ruin a career, you ask me.

He and Ted really are refreshing as hell.

Tim is great. But am I the only one that can't stand listening to Ted? Sure I love the way the team plays in front of him, but I cannot handle listening to him speak.

Tim is great. But am I the only one that can't stand listening to Ted? Sure I love the way the team plays in front of him, but I cannot handle listening to him speak.

he is as bad as rob ray but I find ray endearing and ted unbearable.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Tim say that he is not worried about getting the first overall because there is an 80% hands they are going to get the guy they want? Does that make sense? Are they targeting someone completely unexpected?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Tim say that he is not worried about getting the first overall because there is an 80% hands they are going to get the guy they want? Does that make sense? Are they targeting someone completely unexpected?

I believe TM is looking at the 1st tier of players in this draft, their are roughly 5 guys so I think that is some of his logic.

I believe TM is looking at the 1st tier of players in this draft, their are roughly 5 guys so I think that is some of his logic.

makes sense. It sounded as though he wanted one specific guy but what you say makes way more sense. Cheers

Maybe he's thinking a defenseman could go first but what the Sabres need is a forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.