Nolan/Murray LIVE Press Conference (4/15/14) at 1 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

For those of us at work and cannot listen, can anyone expand upon TM's comments on tanking? Did he give any indication they bottomed out and would start rebuilding the roster to make the team competitive next year?

Thanks.

Or is the plan to just not talk openly about it anymore?

Yes. I was wondering about that too.

I hope that meant they will have to "want" to come to us.

The idea of the Sabres waiting for free agents to come to them is ridiculous.

I think that's what he meant....they have to want to come here.

Sounds like they will aim for 2 top 6 guys but realistic about getting a 3rd or 4th line guy. Basically, try to sign Callahan, and settle for Ott.

Or is the plan to just not talk openly about it anymore?

Maybe, but it was pretty clearly stated that you need your Hodgsons and your Girgensons to get better and that isn't going to happen if you don't get them some support.

I'd also say that if you spent most of your time in the bottom half of this year's roster, you probably should be looking for another job next year.

For those of us at work and cannot listen, can anyone expand upon TM's comments on tanking? Did he give any indication they bottomed out and would start rebuilding the roster to make the team competitive next year?

Thanks.

From another thread; it more properly belongs in this one anyway.

Well, whatever may have been said in the past, he definitely is NOT talking about purposefully tanking right now. In fact, he's saying that it's impracticable because coaches and players want to win. "What guy is going to play badly so he can lose his job the next year to McDavid?" (Paraphrased.)

Maybe, but it was pretty clearly stated that you need your Hodgsons and your Girgensons to get better and that isn't going to happen if you don't get them some support.

I'd also say that if you spent most of your time in the bottom half of this year's roster, you probably should be looking for another job next year.

I got that from him too.

Yep.

So that means the Sabres aren't pursuing free agents. Don't get rid of those Tank Avatars.

I actually would take that as not they won't be trying to sign players; but rather a shot at the NHL for disallowing the use of private jets to court free agents. Remember, we did that in convincing Regehr to waive his NTC and Erhroff. Then they banned the usage of private jets for free agent courting. Just like how they now limited the prospect visits; anytime Pegula starts throwing his money at things to get an advantage, they handicap him.

From another thread; it more properly belongs in this one anyway.

snapback.pngEleven, on 15 April 2014 - 01:33 PM, said:

Well, whatever may have been said in the past, he definitely is NOT talking about purposefully tanking right now. In fact, he's saying that it's impracticable because coaches and players want to win. "What guy is going to play badly so he can lose his job the next year to McDavid?" (Paraphrased.)

snapback.pngdudacek, on 15 April 2014 - 02:01 PM, said:

I got that from him too.

Thanks 11.

That's good news for the anti-tankers among us!

I think that's what he meant....they have to want to come here.

Sounds like they will aim for 2 top 6 guys but realistic about getting a 3rd or 4th line guy. Basically, try to sign Callahan, and settle for Ott.

He all but said Ott's name when he was describing the kind of vet they want to get over the summer.

I actually would take that as not they won't be trying to sign players; but rather a shot at the NHL for disallowing the use of private jets to court free agents. Remember, we did that in convincing Regehr to waive his NTC and Erhroff. Then they banned the usage of private jets for free agent courting. Just like how they now limited the prospect visits; anytime Pegula starts throwing his money at things to get an advantage, they handicap him.

Maybe. But I think Murray is the kind of guy whose words you shouldn't waste too much time trying to parse. My guess is that the words just fell out of his mouth awkwardly. Murray is the kind of guy you judge based on his actions because, while he prefers to tell it like it is, when he does have to watch what he says the words are a jumble of a thousand thoughts.

@BuffaloSabres

WATCH: The full season-ending press conference with Ted Nolan & Tim Murray today http://bit.ly/1qYJFq6

BlSOcYvCMAA1eXj.png

On-Demand Replays:

WGR Audio: 4/15 Sabres End of Season Presser <28:39>

Sabres.com: Ted Nolan & Tim Murray Press Conference (4/15/14) <27:46>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Ah OK, thanks. I wasn't aware there was a particular incident.

The Scott suspension (7 games) vs Rinaldo suspension (4 games) and the McCabe hit on Paille that was called a 5 min major interference penalty with a gamer.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.