If you were the Islanders

bob_sauve28

The more I think about it, the more I can't imagine a team forfeiting a top-5 pick for no immediate return if they don't have to (yea yea the trade, but you know what I mean). I'm not saying doing so would be the wrong move since I think there's a legitimate argument to be made to give it up, I just have a hard time wrapping my head around a team actually pulling the trigger on it.

I agree with you...They should make the pick this year you worry about next year when it comes time..You can always make a deal as time goes on to get another first round pick if you need to...

That's what was being bandied about 12-18 months ago.....he was the lock for #1 this year.

Just because many believe/believed he's deserving of the number one pick doesn't mean he's a generational talent. Generational talent isn't defined as "first-overall pick." It's defined as a player who possesses abilities that only come around a few times or less in a generation.

Daigle is still the only good example. I said first overall picks. Generational talents don't go 2nd and 4th...

Malkin is pretty good. Tires as well. Sorry he was 3.

Much closer. But Eichel still isn't a generational talent.

Eichel reminds me of Modano. He was pretty good. Generational, idk hofer yes. Edited by 3putt

As bad as the Sabres may be next year, Kane could come home, become a "god," and be the biggest thing that's happened bo Sabres hockey since Myers (not sure I meant that). So Islanders should do whatever they want. It won't hurt us appreciably either way.

Yeah they probably treat Kane like a has been in Chicago. Those 2 cups and that Conn Smythe are for nobodies. I cant wait for Chicago to lock him up for the next 60 years so i wont have to hear "coming home" and "hometown discount" ever again.

Yeah they probably treat Kane like a has been in Chicago. Those 2 cups and that Conn Smythe are for nobodies. I cant wait for Chicago to lock him up for the next 60 years so i wont have to hear "coming home" and "hometown discount" ever again.

+ 1 billion

@WGR550

Button said he does not believe the Islanders will be good next year and that they will give up the pick this year

Have you ever seen that experiment from Stanford where they put 5 year olds in a room alone with a candy-bar and they tell the kids that if they can wait 10 minutes and not eat the one they will get two candy-bars? They tracked the kids through their Junior year of high school, and subsequently the kids that could wait 10 minutes and got 2 candy bars were the brightest kids according to their SAT scores.

Garth snow isn't a bright kid. He eats the candy bar.

He takes the pick at 5.

Edited by X. Benedict

Have you ever seen that experiment from Stanford where they put 5 year olds in a room alone with a candy-bar and they tell the kids that if they can wait 10 minutes and not eat the one they will get two candy-bars? They tracked the kids through their Junior year of high school, and subsequently the kids that could wait 10 minutes and got 2 candy bars were the brightest kids according to their SAT scores.

Garth snow isn't a bright kid. He eats the candy bar.

He takes the pick at 5.

Button expects the Islanders to have a representative in one of the five chairs at the 2015 draft lottery. He opines that the Isles shouldn't let a bad trade turn into one that is catastrophic by giving the Sabres an extra shot at McDavid and Eichel.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Report: Isles likely to give 2015 first-rounder to Sabres

Here’s Newsday’s Arthur Staple:

Indications are that the Islanders will hold onto this year’s pick to either select one of the five top prospects who are fairly equally rated, or trade the pick to acquire a more NHL-ready player.

And here’s SNY.tv, passing along a report from a Thursday night fan forum GM Garth Snow attended on Long Island:

Snow, Doug Weight and other Islanders were at Westbury Manor to meet with fans.

According to Rob Del Muro, a producer for News 12 who was in attendance, Snow wouldn’t fully commit to retaining the 2014 pick but it seemed like it was a very likely scenario.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Imagine for a moment that the Islanders give us their 2015 and the Sabres and Islanders finish last and 2nd last (or vice versa) in 2015.

There would then be a 43.8% chance that the Sabres would take the top two picks, presumably McDavid and Eichel. 43.8%! That's huge! The only simile I can muster is that it's like getting Crosby and Malkin in one draft.

I think we want that 2015'er and I think we want both teams to be a flaming ###### trainwreck next season. I mean, it's so wishful, but it's so rewarding to think about.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Imagine for a moment that the Islanders give us their 2015 and the Sabres and Islanders finish last and 2nd last (or vice versa) in 2015.

There would then be a 43.8% chance that the Sabres would take the top two picks, presumably McDavid and Eichel. 43.8%! That's huge! The only simile I can muster is that it's like getting Crosby and Malkin in one draft.

I think we want that 2015'er and I think we want both teams to be a flaming ###### trainwreck next season. I mean, it's so wishful, but it's so rewarding to think about.

Bingo. Hope you saved some more tank pics for next year.

The best part for me is that I can envision the Sabres being 10 times more entertaining then this year and still finish at the bottom. And the Islanders? All we need is Garth being Garth. Assuming that no one is allowed to out and out tank, which teams would you guarantee being worse?

The best part for me is that I can envision the Sabres being 10 times more entertaining then this year and still finish at the bottom. And the Islanders? All we need is Garth being Garth. Assuming that no one is allowed to out and out tank, which teams would you guarantee being worse?

Islanders will be worse next year than us. Count on it.

:thumbsup:

A lot of people would disagree with you, including me! I think he will be

Listen to this description of Jack Eichel from WGR Yesterday Morning starts at 2:20.

Brian Burke, Jake Allen from USA Today and Craig Button are quoted.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/90352660/4-17-howard-simon-show-hr-2.htm?

If we do not win the draft lottery next year, Eichel will be a great consolation prize.

Eichel appears to be the type of player that will spend his entire career proving he should have been the first overall pick in 2015.

Islanders will be worse next year than us. Count on it.

:thumbsup:

I dunno. Tavares alone makes that unlikely. And they have some very good prospects who are getting close to being NHL-ready. Strome is already there. If ownership is ready to spend some money pre-Brooklyn, specifically to address their defensive and goaltending issues, they will certainly be far ahead of the Sabres. Still, it's Wang and Snow, so all bets are off.