Leino needs to go!

Wyldnwoody44

i know this is the last summer we could get the 'break' on the buyout but I wouldn't have minded keeping him and paying him a boatload to do nothing again... and then waive him next summer. In the long run I guess that would cost us more money but at least we'd be a few million more closer to the cap floor and definitely not get any better to get a better chance at McDavid. haha

Wish you were my boss.

Amen.

I like the guy. The fact he couldn't even jive with Nolan is a red flag though. He was the only whipping boy that didn't improve.

And not through lack of opportunity. It seemed like Teddy liked him, he just couldn't get it done.

I need to confess I was happy we signed him. His great playoff certainly sucked me in.

Sad how it turned out. He will probably get a shot somewhere on a tryout or at a minimum deal, but I think his NHL career is over.

Amen.

I like the guy. The fact he couldn't even jive with Nolan is a red flag though. He was the only whipping boy that didn't improve.

I don't like him. At all. He outright lied and said he would play center. He signed for a center salary. Three weeks into the season, that's gone.

No, I don't like him at all.

And you sit there and blame ownership/management/whatever. This guy is a ###### liar.

I don't like him. At all. He outright lied and said he would play center. He signed for a center salary. Three weeks into the season, that's gone.

No, I don't like him at all.

And you sit there and blame ownership/management/whatever. This guy is a ###### liar.

I don't know if it was malice. I think we watched him play center in SM-liiga, and he was the best forward available that UFA season behind Brad Richards that anyone thought could even sniff the center position. They tried to get him to switch to center, but it didn't seem to work. I think if he had the ability to play center, the coaches would have kept him there, but they got frustrated and put him back on wing. He gave it a shot, sucked dick, was put on the wing, proceeded to suck dick and get injured, then suck even more dick later. His suckitude would give rise to Ennis playing center, the eventual the magic keystone for the impressive FES line at the end of that season, cementing Lenio's place on the wing.

To call the guy a liar because he somehow convinced the Sabres he was a top-six centerman during the UFA period is filling in a lot of details may not be accurate. Underperforming? Obviously, hell yes. Mis-estimated by Sabres scouts/GM? Well, yeah. A liar? I don't see it.

I think even if a player or player agent does blow smoke up a GM's ass about a player's abilities, it's the GM's (and their pro scouting department's) responsibility to find their way through all of that. And even if they do, they still might not be able to predict the epic, flaming, meteoric, shitshow trainwreck of a downfall that Ville Leino's career endured. At the time, Ville Leino was an alright gamble on paper, and it turned out to be one that we lost historically huge on. Nobody thought he'd be that bad. Not even him.

I don't know if it was malice. I think we watched him play center in SM-liiga, and he was the best forward available that UFA season behind Brad Richards that anyone thought could even sniff the center position. They tried to get him to switch to center, but it didn't seem to work. I think if he had the ability to play center, the coaches would have kept him there, but they got frustrated and put him back on wing. He gave it a shot, sucked dick, was put on the wing, proceeded to suck dick and get injured, then suck even more dick later. His suckitude would give rise to Ennis playing center, the eventual the magic keystone for the impressive FES line at the end of that season, cementing Lenio's place on the wing.

To call the guy a liar because he somehow convinced the Sabres he was a top-six centerman during the UFA period is filling in a lot of details may not be accurate. Underperforming? Obviously, hell yes. Mis-estimated by Sabres scouts/GM? Well, yeah. A liar? I don't see it.

I think even if a player or player agent does blow smoke up a GM's ass about a player's abilities, it's the GM's (and their pro scouting department's) responsibility to find their way through all of that. And even if they do, they still might not be able to predict the epic, flaming, meteoric, shitshow trainwreck of a downfall that Ville Leino's career endured. At the time, Ville Leino was an alright gamble on paper, and it turned out to be one that we lost historically huge on. Nobody thought he'd be that bad. Not even him.

I remember liking the fact that the Sabs signed (1) the guy who just eliminated them and (2) who would play center.

Weeks into the season, he refused to play center.

It was him. It was not management. He lied.

I remember liking the fact that the Sabs signed (1) the guy who just eliminated them and (2) who would play center.

Weeks into the season, he refused to play center.

It was him. It was not management. He lied.

This was the reason behind my thinking, from his signing press conference:

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=568104

"He was a centerman until age 23 and enjoys playing center," Ruff said at the press conference in Buffalo. "Actually, if you studied a little bit of Philly's system, a lot of times he was the guy playing down low in the end on the Hartnell-Briere line. I talked to him about all three positions and he's comfortable with all three, but the position he likes the most is playing center, which is really a bonus and an ideal fit for us. We feel initially that's exactly where we want to utilize him."

But you're right. Ennis got injured, opening up a vacancy on the wing on top line, and because he "exhibited puck prowess" but neither he or his line were able to put up points, he requested to go back to wing.

http://twointhebox.c...tep-in-on-wing/

Ennis’ hole in the lineup is far more defined by any time Gaustad may, or may not, miss. With the young winger out for what will likely amount to two weeks Ville Leino will fill his role on the wing with Derek Roy and Drew Stafford. It actually appears as if Leino requested to be moved back to the wing.

This is actually a move that could not only benefit Leino, but the Sabres’ second line. While the Vanek-Adam-Pominville line continues to put up points like it is going out of style (15 In seven games), the remaining six forwards to have tallied points have accounted for only seven goals and seventeen points over that same span.

Leino has exhibited the puck prowess that warranted his six-year $27 million contract in the offseason. However neither he, nor his linemates, has been able to produce the points that would prove that progress is occurring. A move to wing – the position where Leino has experienced the most NHL success – might be the best thing for him.

Skating with Roy and Stafford will put Leino with a pair of skaters very similar to his linemates from Philadelphia.

Bill Hoppe‏@BillHoppeNHL

Lindy said Ville Leino asked him to go back to the wing. #Sabres

I read that and think he's saying "I want to try to get better by playing with better players," not "hahaha I fooled those ######, now I can go back to wing." But it's open to interpretation. Draw.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Chalk the buyout as another mark of Pegula doing the right thing. He and Darcy made the mistake of signing him, but he easily could have argued to keep Leino around to eat cap space. Instead, he takes a hit financially in a planned dead end season if only to protect us 2-3 years from now if we are making a run. It's really nice to have an owner willing to take these risks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.