Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

The reason in my opinion why there is a disconnect with Miller from some is/was the need to call him "Elite". It started after last Olympics. The team/broadcast pumping, and need to describe him as a hero just leaves a faction of fans baffled. I've always said he is a good goaltender, and capable of being the #3-8 best in the league when he is on top of his game for long periods.

I haven't seen much hate for him lately. The team being horrible, and the GM being ID'd as the problem by 90% of the fanbase along with Miller seeming to have mellowed over the years in his emotional displays has left many wishing him well and understanding a ticket out of town is probably in his best interests.

In reality, Miller is probably the 3rd best goalie in his own division and of 5 in the division who can outplay him for long stretches. All you have to do is look at their ring fingers and he is #4...IN THE DIVISION!

That's where the big game talk may come from. He is heralded for a silver medal, yet had it down to sudden death, last goalie standing, and couldn't get it done. He had a 2 year stretch that included a President's Trophy team one year, and took a 1 goal lead into the 3rd period of a Stanley Cup invitation game the other, and couldn't get it done. I think not looking on Miller as a clutch goalie is both rational and valid. That doesn't mean anyone hates him. It just means that when you walk into Toyota dealer, don't tell me it is a BMW, and don't expect me to pay sticker price.

Edited by Ghost of Dwight Drane

The reason in my opinion why there is a disconnect with Miller from some is/was the need to call him "Elite". It started after last Olympics. The team/broadcast pumping, and need to describe him as a hero just leaves a faction of fans baffled. I've always said he is a good goaltender, and capable of being the #3-8 best in the league when he is on top of his game for long periods.

I haven't seen much hate for him lately. The team being horrible, and the GM being ID'd as the problem by 90% of the fanbase along with Miller seeming to have mellowed over the years in his emotional displays has left many wishing him well and understanding a ticket out of town is probably in his best interests.

In reality, Miller is probably the 3rd best goalie in his own division and of 5 in the division who can outplay him for long stretches. All you have to do is look at their ring fingers and he is #4...IN THE DIVISION!

That's where the big game talk may come from. He is heralded for a silver medal, yet had it down to sudden death, last goalie standing, and couldn't get it done. He had a 2 year stretch that included a President's Trophy team one year, and took a 1 goal lead into the 3rd period of a Stanley Cup invitation game the other, and couldn't get it done. I think not looking on Miller as a clutch goalie is both rational and valid. That doesn't mean anyone hates him. It just means that when you walk into Toyota dealer, don't tell me it is a BMW, and don't expect me to pay sticker price.

Nice post.

I have a weakness for low hanging fruit, what can I say?

I'm gonna leave that one alone. :P

So by that measure, Hasek was the, what, 8th best goalie in the league until 2002?

So by that measure, Hasek was the, what, 8th best goalie in the league until 2002?

Who would you rather have signed for the next 7 years....Miller, Price, or Rask? 1...2..3

Hasek fetched Slava Kozlov in a trade. Maybe you are right. Oh, nevermind...I forgot who the GM and coach were at the time.....

I don't think Miller is hated at all. Listen to the cheers. Read the support he gets. I've always thought of myself as very contrarian when it comes to him. I don't hate his game, I just think he's very overrated. I do very much dislike his hockey personality, especially throwing teammates under the bus, something that — surprise! — disappeared in the runup to the Olympics. If I hate anything, it's his Olympic year erections. They rub me the wrong way. Personally hate? Of course not. How could I? I don't know the guy. He's probably a good man.

It's my own definition, sure, but I can define "big game" in a way that most people would agree with, then show Miller has not been great in those moments. Was Joe Montana a good big game quarterback? Can't be proven, I suppose.

The continuous narrative about throwing teammates under the bus. Teammates who consistently vote him team MVP. Teamstes who now tell you he hasn't done but this year because he is comfortable with the team leadership.

Or you could be right

The continuous narrative about throwing teammates under the bus. Teammates who consistently vote him team MVP. Teamstes who now tell you he hasn't done but this year because he is comfortable with the team leadership.

Or you could be right

Fidel Castro.....voted Cuba MVP 53 years and running!

This really was a good post.

Funny, but a rather typical response from a rather atypical poster.

Yes, he was voted MVP on a team where the coach handed out regular letters to 30% of the skaters and named 8 captains in a season with rotating C's. Forgive me for not respecting the "locker room player's honors"......

Interesting ideas here. But the idea that it all ends in a Semantic argument of "elite" just overlies the reality that he's never been embraced as much of a star here in WNY.....even with an impressive body of work.

Buffalo eats it's own.

Sad but true.

Now gimme a first and a high quality prospect, mr. Murray.

As far as emotional displays -- when you think of the species of goalies-- the idea that Miller is emotional is kind of laughable. We had more emotion in a week out of hasek, Edwards, noranen, ......

What Buffalo never embraced in Miller is that he is cerebral.

That and Buffalo, no likey.

Edited by X. Benedict

I do feel like that's often over-stated. If the sample population is from this message board and other similar forums (where the fairly obsessive fans go to obsess, often unfairly), then, yes, there is a significant faction of Sabre fans who have never embraced Miller. But if you take a broader, more representative sampling of Sabre fans, I think you will find overwhelming affection and support.

I do feel like that's often over-stated. If the sample population is from this message board and other similar forums (where the fairly obsessive fans go to obsess, often unfairly), then, yes, there is a significant faction of Sabre fans who have never embraced Miller. But if you take a broader, more representative sampling of Sabre fans, I think you will find overwhelming affection and support.

Truth. Miller is widely liked by the average fan.

Who would you rather have signed for the next 7 years....Miller, Price, or Rask? 1...2..3

Hasek fetched Slava Kozlov in a trade. Maybe you are right. Oh, nevermind...I forgot who the GM and coach were at the time.....

You can't really put that particular trade on the GM, and certainly not on the coach, and you know it. Stick to reality.

Miller , price , rask in that order.

Probably same here, but towards the end of those seven years, Miller would possibly be fading. He's a better goalie than the other two; he's just on a much, much worse team.

Interesting ideas here. But the idea that it all ends in a Semantic argument of "elite" just overlies the reality that he's never been embraced as much of a star here in WNY.....even with an impressive body of work.

Buffalo eats it's own.

Sad but true.

Now gimme a first and a high quality prospect, mr. Murray.

So true. Buffalo sports fans have a long history of under valuing and under appreciating their own players. People will be missing Miller once Enroth is starting every game. Not saying they should not trade him, but we are not likely to see anyone in his class with the Sabres for some time. The cupboard, at least in the near term, is looking very bare.

As far as emotional displays -- when you think of the species of goalies-- the idea that Miller is emotional is kind of laughable. We had more emotion in a week out of hasek, Edwards, noranen, ......

That and Buffalo, no likey.

That off-ice spotlight they did on him years ago, by the waterfront, with his big fancy camera.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.