Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

Buffalo eats it's own.

Sad but true.

Now gimme a first and a high quality prospect, mr. Murray.

I completely agree with the bolded -- it's of a piece with my occasional allusions to WNY fear and loathing of the wealthy.

There were plenty of Bills fans who didn't like Jimbo or Bruce.

The ultimate example is the mistrust by some (not just PAFan) of Pegula -- who is a gift from heaven to Sabres fans.

Separately, I think you are being a bit optimistic in your expectations of trade returns for Miller.

You can't really put that particular trade on the GM, and certainly not on the coach, and you know it. Stick to reality.

Did you see the reality I was responding to? Come'on now....filters boys...filters...

As far as emotional displays -- when you think of the species of goalies-- the idea that Miller is emotional is kind of laughable. We had more emotion in a week out of hasek, Edwards, noranen, ......

What Buffalo never embraced in Miller is that he is cerebral.

That and Buffalo, no likey.

I love that he is cerebral. As a person off the ice, he has always been world class in giving his time and resources and is probably a neat guy to hang with. He has matured the past few years in my opinion. In his early years, he was a bit overdramatic. He was also emotional. Remember him getting pulled from the playoff series in Rochester because he went bonkers? Even the coach said he needed to take a breather to compose himself and sat him the next game. He's outgrown most if not all of it. The WTF Wave was almost a daily occurrence at one point.

You are going to get some vocal displeasure from a fanbase of 3 million or so in the area. Just because a few people play the Mr. Softee theme in the background, or 2 or 3 people on a message board try to marginalize him....there's still a pretty darn big pool of people that like him, or just don't care.

Maybe you can equate him to Joe Ferguson. Fergy had longevity, and was better than average to very good at times. At that key position, mistakes stand out. You are always going to get a high beta emotional reaction about QB/G play.

I think you are going waaaaay too far out of the way to make Miller look like some tragic hero.

Did you see the reality I was responding to? Come'on now....filters boys...filters...

I love that he is cerebral. As a person off the ice, he has always been world class in giving his time and resources and is probably a neat guy to hang with. He has matured the past few years in my opinion. In his early years, he was a bit overdramatic. He was also emotional. Remember him getting pulled from the playoff series in Rochester because he went bonkers? Even the coach said he needed to take a breather to compose himself and sat him the next game. He's outgrown most if not all of it. The WTF Wave was almost a daily occurrence at one point.

You are going to get some vocal displeasure from a fanbase of 3 million or so in the area. Just because a few people play the Mr. Softee theme in the background, or 2 or 3 people on a message board try to marginalize him....there's still a pretty darn big pool of people that like him, or just don't care.

Maybe you can equate him to Joe Ferguson. Fergy had longevity, and was better than average to very good at times. At that key position, mistakes stand out. You are always going to get a high beta emotional reaction about QB/G play.

I think you are going waaaaay too far out of the way to make Miller look like some tragic hero.

tragic hero? I've never thought of Miller that way.

In a nutshell I just think that the idea he's benefited from any undue celebrity is ridiculous.

Millers had a good career, even if it ended tomorrow. But as far as sports stars go - 7 years of derision on talk radio - mostly lazy exploitation of a topic, a personality that is thoughtful and introverted, and the lack of a crease sweeping defenseman (Tuuka better? Maybe.....but 27 minutes of Chara sweeping crease a night would not hurt Millers numbers either) all have compounded. What he really doesn't leave as is a star.

I'm sticking with it. Most of the feelings for him fall between hate and appreciation.

Nail, meet head. Yes, Buffalo bags on its own...but I don't think it's any more severe than in other markets. I think it just seems worse because we're exposed to it and emotionally invested, whereas we're not that way with other markets.

In his early years, he was a bit overdramatic. He was also emotional. Remember him getting pulled from the playoff series in Rochester because he went bonkers? Even the coach said he needed to take a breather to compose himself and sat him the next game. He's outgrown most if not all of it. The WTF Wave was almost a daily occurrence at one point.

i will never forget - and can't now find - his post-game remarks following the game 7 loss against carolina in 2006, in which he tearfully criticized the over-the-glass rule that victimized campbell mid-way through the 3rd and resulted in the GWG.

and the ferguson comparison's close to the mark - a really good player who was well-liked, had some post-season success, but ultimately got stuck on bad teams.

the lack of a crease sweeping defenseman (Tuuka better? Maybe.....but 27 minutes of Chara sweeping crease a night would not hurt Millers numbers either)

well, that's the truth.

I'm sticking with it. Most of the feelings for him fall between hate and appreciation.

i just think that's a mis-read, one that's skewed by the press and a vocal (super-)minority of fans.

The sad part about all this focusing on 'unfair' criticism of a long-time Buffalo Sabre, is the double standard. Because all too many people that aren't happy with the few that pick on Golden Boy won't hesitate to turn around and do the exact same thing to other Sabres, past and present. Why is it that some seem to think that all Sabres fans need to bow down to Miller because they think he's God?

The sad part about all this focusing on 'unfair' criticism of a long-time Buffalo Sabre, is the double standard. Because all too many people that aren't happy with the few that pick on Golden Boy won't hesitate to turn around and do the exact same thing to other Sabres, past and present. Why is it that some seem to think that all Sabres fans need to bow down to Miller because they think he's God?

You live in Florida, right? Buffalo has no golden boy.

You WANT Miller off the roster.

There are no cries to keep him.

So guess what? You are part of the majority.

You live in Florida, right? Buffalo has no golden boy.

You WANT Miller off the roster.

There are no cries to keep him.

So guess what? You are part of the majority.

I don't think the majority wants him out. I think the majority knows that Miller wants out and are wanting to part ways ASAP to get the most in return.

I wouldn't want Miller off this roster under certain circumstances.

I don't think the majority wants him out. I think the majority knows that Miller wants out and are wanting to part ways ASAP to get the most in return.

I wouldn't want Miller off this roster under certain circumstances.

That's rich.

When did you stop believing he's a "detriment to the team" a "bad teammate" and an overrated guy that "throws teammates under the bus" ?

What circumstances would you want that guy on the roster?

c'mon ? You don't. And it is okay to say it. It is said everyday in Buffalo.

You are not alone.

He's just not a star here.

That's rich.

When did you stop believing he's a "detriment to the team" a "bad teammate" and an overrated guy that "throws teammates under the bus" ?

What circumstances would you want that guy on the roster?

c'mon ? You don't. And it is okay to say it. It is said everyday in Buffalo.

You are not alone.

He's just not a star here.

I've been saying this since the day I got here. Most recently in this thread not too long ago.

I agree, Miller is a valuable asset. Here is how I see it. Quality of goaltenders have tightened up significantly over the last 10-15 years. Save percentages are closer than ever. Not to mention the fact that teams have focused more on a style of play that will get pucks in the net simply by deflections, lucky bounces and rebounds. Hard shots, fancy plays and skilled set ups are not as big a part of the game as it once was. Goaltenders are just like everybody else in that they go on hot and cold streaks. No matter how good you are, it's part of sports. It's no secret that having a good goaltender is important in having a successful year. Over the course of 82 games those hot and cold streaks will even themselves out. Based on all of this, an average team with an average goaltender can go deep in the playoffs if the goaltender gets on a hot streak. On the other side, a quality team with an elite goaltender isn't going to get out of the first round if he gets cold.

With that said, I have always been a fan of having two goaltenders share the duties and the coach rides the hot goaltender. Is that realistic? No. No goaltender that thinks he is worthy of being #1 will accept playing 40 games. I would love nothing better than to have Miller and Enroth share duties with the hot goaltender getting the playing time. Alas, that will never happen. I have a problem with taking a chance on signing Miller to a long term contract to finish his career here with the impression he will be the go-to guy for the next five years. I've seen him at times seem disinterested in playing for BFLO when things get tough. I do think he is a pretty good goaltender, but I don't see him as being elite enough to spend any significant time to try and convince him to be the #1 guy for the next five years and sign a contract. If the Sabres are looking to move forward, they need to give the impression that the #1 spot is up for grabs.

Part time Miller on a reduced contract? It's a nuance that takes him out of BFlo, but still gives the whiff of circumspection. Clever, but it is the same thing as not wanting him here in practice.

And again, you are hardly alone in your sentiments.

No matter what I say, it won't be good enough for you. If you're just going to keep telling me what I think after I answer your questions, what's the sense? How about I just give you my password. :P

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I used to follow Harrington on Twitter. I found it amusing that he routinely attacked and mocked the people that followed up on his articles and/or communicated with him via Twitter. Then, once a month or so, he would come out and talk about blocking all the people that attack him because it didn't create any civilized dialogue. I'm not sure what is bigger, his ego or his double standards. I have no respect for that man. He is not a journalist, he makes a mockery of the profession. What little respect I had for him was lost when him and Sully made an as of themselves the day Pegula announced the approval of the Harbor Center. He is nothing more than a classless hack. I refuse to give the Buffalo News a penny as long as he is an employee.

I am happy to know I am not the only one...I unfollowed him today as a matter of fact. I cannot stand him or Jerry Sullivan, and I do not know them like you all do.

missed this until now. i reckon i'd need to see what harrington was saying in order to understand where you were coming from. i can presume that whatever MH was saying was ill-conceived.

and, hey - welcome to the board, and keep after the postings. there are close to 20 regulars here whom i read more closely than i read any writer for the BN. and if you find you're not easily getting your thoughts onto the screen, then i recommend practice, practice, practice.

Thank you for the reply. I would actually be covering football to start, because they want us to focus on one thing until we get a following and build some credibility. Plus, although I have followed hockey as long as football, I am not used to my hockey team being so bad. It is easier for me to formulate an unbiased opinion when it comes to the Bills, but I am not quite there yet with the Sabres. Plus, through my connections with some old friends, and my cousin who used to cover the Steelers and write for Sports Illustrated, I have some sources at my disposal, that I do not yet have with hockey. Not to mention, I don't want to overload myself with stuff just starting off. I sure do give these writers, reporters and journalists credit though, taking yourself out of the "fan" point of view is not an easy thing to do...especially when you are so passionate about it.

But, needless to say...since seeing my cousin cover Bills-Steelers games from inside the pressbox...this has always been a dream of mine, so I am going to run with it...see where it takes me. I am confident in my knowledge, and already have 3 interviews setup (1 former player, 1 current player, 1 current scout) to start with. I plan on using this "up and coming" site to establish a following, and then I plan to branch out with my own site...of which I already have the names reserved on twitter, facebook and the web address. I plan to try and make it unique, and I want to be multi-dimensional, having a column dedicated to music, or food, cars, fashion, whatever. But obviously, sports is priority #1.

I will provide more information when I have things figured out a little better. But, yes...I am trying to be a little more active within these boards here...and I greatly appreciate you welcoming me onboard. I am happy to be here, and I hope/expect to provide you folks with some quality conversation, feedback and information. Go Buffalo/Syracuse! :-)

(PS. I LOVE your handle or name or whatever..."That Aud Smell," absolutely BRILLIANT, sir!)

Miller is playing FAR better than Quick on a much worse team. I still think he'll end up getting a majority of the time.

You and I tend to think quite a bit alike at times. I agree 100% and I am very upset that Quick got the start. He is not even the best goalie (this year) in LA, in my opinion. Not to mention, he has been hurt and he plays in front of an elite defense...whereas Miller has carried GREAT stats on the worst team in the NHL, and he's been healthy. If they continue to bench Ryan Miller, I would be lying if I said I would still root for them, or even watch the games...because I probably wouldn't do either. Miller DESERVES AND EARNED it, big time!

But, I was thinking today...could the Penguins be wanting to trade for Miller, and Bylsma does not want to risk getting him injured? (Just a thought I had and wanted to throw out there.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

Well, breaking news from WGR - Jonathan Quick is starting in the next game against Russia. No real surprise to anyone with common sense - would any reasonable coach bench a goalie with a GAA of 1.0 in his first game for an older goalie who'd been a bit shaky in the last couple weeks of the season prior to the Olympics?

Well, breaking news from WGR - Jonathan Quick is starting in the next game against Russia. No real surprise to anyone with common sense - would any reasonable coach bench a goalie with a GAA of 1.0 in his first game for an older goalie who'd been a bit shaky in the last couple weeks of the season prior to the Olympics?

4 out of Quick's last 5 starts before the Olympics were below .900

I am a bit bummed, I will admit.

But, really, I mostly want to see U.S. contend for gold. That's priority #1.

This is the point I'm at. I think Miller would've thrived just as much against Slovakia as Quick.

Gonna be a good game either way against Mother Russia Saturday!!

As I've said at least twice, can't really go wrong with either Miller or Quick. It's a great problem to have.

And just when did Bylsma become a genius, anyway?

Maybe when he took over a team that was on the ropes at midseason and won a Cup with them? And who racked up 106 points a few years ago when Crosby and Malkin missed most of the season? And is doing it again this season with a team that's been decimated by injuries? Lindy's old news. Get over it!

As I've said at least twice, can't really go wrong with either Miller or Quick. It's a great problem to have.

And just when did Bylsma become a genius, anyway?

The only other hockey fan at my job is a Pens fan. According to him, Pens fans "back home" and on message boards can't stand him. They seem to think they'd be better with a more Nolan-type coach.

Edited by Campy

Maybe when he took over a team that was on the ropes at midseason and won a Cup with them? And who racked up 106 points a few years ago when Crosby and Malkin missed most of the season? And is doing it again this season with a team that's been decimated by injuries? Lindy's old news. Get over it!

Has nothing to do with Lindy at all. The Pens should be in the final four EVERY year with that roster. They aren't.

In any event, I'm not going to look at a decision by Dan Bylsma to start Jonathan Quick as an indictment of Ryan Miller.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.