Mr Ryan Miller....

spndnchz

I have DirecTV and it was on channel 14 CW, whatever that means. It was NOT however in HD, so the quality sucked but I got to watch it atleast.

Thanks for the information - That's funny about CW - because my friend has the premium HD package with DirectTV, and he claims it wasn't on at all on 14. I wonder if it depends on the geographic location as to what is on 14? We live in the Southern Tier.

SD would be better than nothing, but it's ridiculous that Channel 13 didn't carry it ON 13! That way everyone could have watched it, in HD, and there would have been no issues for anyone.

Edited by Jsixspd

Thanks for the information - That's funny about CW - because my friend has the premium HD package with DirectTV, and he claims it wasn't on at all on 14. I wonder if it depends on the geographic location as to what is on 14? We live in the Southern Tier.

SD would be better than nothing, but it's ridiculous that Channel 13 didn't carry it ON 13! That way everyone could have watched it, in HD, and there would have been no issues for anyone.

Could have been a location thing, it was on in Monroe county.

apologies, i have not read this whole thread to see if it was discussed....but does anyone else wonder if the whole team calls him "quickie," or just ryan miller? :lol:

do you think the Slovaks call Michal Handus "handy?"

actually,they probably do.

lol hockey.

a google search reflects that everyone pretty much calls quick "quickie".

the conventions of hockey nicknames never fail to amuse to me.

the one that still kills me was when philip boucher [sic] was interviewed about being traded from the sabres to the kings, and he said he took some solace in the fact that he was being moved along with [grant] "fuhr-zee."

If this is a trolling attempt...it's a rather bad one. If this is a real hockey opinion...it's a rather bad one.

Indeed.

In fairness, had he gotten the shutout, somebody would have posted the counter 'see, his 1st shoutout in 2 years; just proves he's all about himself & the Olympics.' :rolleyes:

Very nice.

Well, there have been many Miller defenders who have pointed out over the last year that I was "off base" in pointing out his lack of shutouts in nearly 2 years.

Let's see... the usual excuses that I've been countered with are....

Well, he's got a poor line in front of him

He's faced a lot of shots

He faced high quality teams

The "NO" buzzer sounds loudly in front of all these traditional excuses. I think his inability to deliver a shut-out in all of these games is an important metric - it indicates either a lack of focus, attitude, hunger, desire, an erosion of ability or some mix of the aforementioned.

I think what's really going on is that no one is taking your position seriously enough to bother to refute it.

They aren't bothering because the failure to get a shutout, while still playing well and delivering a win and only one goal against, is about as important as the failure to eat a ham sandwich after the game.

They aren't bothering because the failure to get a shutout, while still playing well and delivering a win and only one goal against, is about as important as the failure to eat a ham sandwich after the game.

The argument that could be made is that when the pressure ratchets up, even in a game that's wrapped up in the final minute, Miller can get leaky. Winter Classic, last Olympics, Game 7 vs. Carolina, Game 7 vs. Philly, numerous shutout bids, and so on…

The argument that could be made is that when the pressure ratchets up, even in a game that's wrapped up in the final minute, Miller can get leaky. Winter Classic, last Olympics, Game 7 vs. Carolina, Game 7 vs. Philly, numerous shutout bids, and so on…

That argument can be made (I don't support it at all, but it's not silly or from outer space), but Game 7 vs Philly isn't a good example. Miller was the only Sabre that showed up for that game.

Miller's best stat is his SVG%, which puts him at number 10 slot in the league. But sorting the list of goalies by SVG%, there have been a total of 24 shut-outs delivered by those top ten goalies so far this season. Or 2.4 per top ten goalie sorted by Miller's best stat. The only other goalie who does not have a shut out so far in that same top-ten list is Carolina's Khudobin. But he's only played half the games that Miller has this season.

Sorted by GAA, where Miller plummets to 28th in the league, well then the top ten goalies have 31 total shutouts.

As PASabreFan mentioned, it may be indicative of a lack of focus or concentration on Miller's part. But SOs and top shelf goal-tending seem to correlate.

And he USED to achieve shutouts - just not in the last couple years. Might be a sign of age too?

Miller's best stat is his SVG%, which puts him at number 10 slot in the league. But sorting the list of goalies by SVG%, there have been a total of 24 shut-outs delivered by those top ten goalies so far this season. Or 2.4 per top ten goalie sorted by Miller's best stat. The only other goalie who does not have a shut out so far in that same top-ten list is Carolina's Khudobin. But he's only played half the games that Miller has this season.

Sorted by GAA, where Miller plummets to 28th in the league, well then the top ten goalies have 31 total shutouts.

As PASabreFan mentioned, it may be indicative of a lack of focus or concentration on Miller's part. But SOs and top shelf goal-tending seem to correlate.

And he USED to achieve shutouts - just not in the last couple years. Might be a sign of age too?

Can we say it's *possible* that having a team of AHLers in front of him doesn't help with GAA and SOs? Someone with more time than I have today could look to see if points% (wins) correlates with SO and GAA.

Edited by MattPie

Can we say it's *possible* that having a team of AHLers in front of him doesn't help with GAA and SOs? Someone with more time than I have today could look to see if points% (wins) correlates with SO and GAA.

Just take a look at the number of shots he has faced, which puts him close to the top in the league (or it did at one point this season)

Giving up 1 goal on 10 shots gives you the same save% as giving up 2 goals on 20 shots or 3 goals on 30 shots, etc.

Just take a look at the number of shots he has faced, which puts him close to the top in the league (or it did at one point this season)

Giving up 1 goal on 10 shots gives you the same save% as giving up 2 goals on 20 shots or 3 goals on 30 shots, etc.

I'd love to see save percentage figures on shots 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 and so on in Miller's game. The argument seems to be that save percentage would drop predictably as more shots are faced in a game. Fatigue. You could also use save percentage on Corsi events. Wait — analytics!

That looks like a big pile of no correlation to me between #of shots and save percentage.

However, there would probably be a correlation between # of shots and GAA and # of shots and SOs. If you're facing 20% more shots per game than the GT facing the least (which looks like about the right spread, 30 +-3), you're going to give up 20% more goals, all else being equal. That's why I see GAA and SO as far more team dependent that SV%.

I have to admit that I thought you were joking when you first posted that lack of shut outs was indicative of Miller's value. Now I'm not sure what to think. While I don't agree with PA and JJFIVE, at least they have well thought out, provocative reasons for their sentiments.

In my opinion, shut outs rank right up there with the girls who thought Cyr should have been in the hall of fame because he was cute.

So is the chart showing that the more shots a goalie faces the less likely they are to have a high sv%? It is just hard to tell because I am not 100% sure who the dots are. Sorry for asking for clarification.

This year, yes it shows that the more shots a goaltender faces the less likely they are to have a high save percentage. Last year on the other hand was just the opposite. Based on the fact that the trends do not agree with each other and the fact that there is relatively no grouping in the scatterplot tells me that save percentages have little to nothing to do with number of shots faced per game.

If I have time I'll put together 2011-12 when there was a full season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.