• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Kinda disappointed to hear about Moulson. Here's a 25+ goal scorer and solid citizen who is interested in staying, and the Sabres aren't interested? Why? Because they'd rather have a pick or a prospect who might, but probably won't, be as good as Moulson in 3-5 years?

Also, Brooksie is slightly more credible than Garrioch, but only slightly.

I would rather have a pick and a prospect because this team won't be going to the playoffs for another season or 2 and Moulson will be on the downside when we finally do.

I want ot see this team stick with the plan they started. Tank and load up and then revisit UFA's and trades when the teams youth is coming up and making an impact

It would be massively dissapointing to see this team just trying to make the playoffs instead of building a true championship worthy team

Players with some upside that costs nothing but a waiver claim...I will take it.

I don't want ANYONE on this team who is not going to be a part of the rebuild. Keep the junk veterans we already have right now until the youth is ready (or a trade is made for someone who WILL be a part of it.)

An undersized forward with 4 goals through 59 games played. Yay. ;)

So what happened to the kid? I remember people screaming about how Darcy was incompetent that he didn't pick him up in a draft. (Also, 29 other GMs passed on him).

I would rather have a pick and a prospect because this team won't be going to the playoffs for another season or 2 and Moulson will be on the downside when we finally do.

I want ot see this team stick with the plan they started. Tank and load up and then revisit UFA's and trades when the teams youth is coming up and making an impact

It would be massively dissapointing to see this team just trying to make the playoffs instead of building a true championship worthy team

Both can't be done at the same time? So all championship teams go from basement dwellers to Cup contenders?

I don't want ANYONE on this team who is not going to be a part of the rebuild. Keep the junk veterans we already have right now until the youth is ready (or a trade is made for someone who WILL be a part of it.)

A 24 year old can not be part of the rebuild?

You do realise they have to put a team out on the ice to play every year until these youth is ready to come in and begin the Dynasty

Both can't be done at the same time? So all championship teams go from basement dwellers to Cup contenders?

A 24 year old can not be part of the rebuild?

You do realise they have to put a team out on the ice to play every year until these youth is ready to come in and begin the Dynasty

a 24 year old who will be tossed around like a ragdoll in the corners.

So what happened to the kid? I remember people screaming about how Darcy was incompetent that he didn't pick him up in a draft. (Also, 29 other GMs passed on him).

Thats what I have been saying, and is a reason I could see Buffalo passing. If he has potential why would the Sens give up on him so soon after dealing Bishop for him? Why not try and deal him or use him as part of a package if he has value?

a 24 year old who will be tossed around like a ragdoll in the corners.

I think a team can get away with one, maybe two players his size in the top-6. The problem the Sabres had for a long time is they had 3 or 4. Ennis, Roy, Gerbe, etc. Who am I missing?

I think a team can get away with one, maybe two players his size in the top-6. The problem the Sabres had for a long time is they had 3 or 4. Ennis, Roy, Gerbe, etc. Who am I missing?

My personal philosophy is there is nothing wrong with undersized forwards, per se, but if you're going to be a smaller forward you better have world class offensive talent. Little guys who score a lot are fine (Ennis on our current team), but little guys who don't score (Conacher this year) are a liability.

Yeap

2013 Champs - Chicago Blackhawks (picked third overall in 2006, first overall in 2007)

2012 Champs - Los Angeles Kings (picked second overall in 2008, fifth overall in 2009)

2011 Champs - Boston Bruins (picked second overall in 2009, fifth overall in 2006) -- Don't argue that the second pick doesn't count unless you have an idea for us to acquire the second overall pick next year

2010 Champs - Chicago Blackhawks (see above)

2009 Champs - Pittsburgh Penguins (picked first overall in 2005, second overall in 2004 and first overall in 2003)

Myers stays for now. At the 2015 draft, I would try to deal him along with the team's 2015 1st and 2nd rounders and Grigerenko and/ or Armia for whoever has the first pick (i.e., Florida, Calgary, Oil) -- so they can get either Connor M. or Jack Eichel. If that trade is not available, I would offer the exact same to the Caps for E. Kuznetsov. If that trade was not available, I would offer the exact same for John Tavaras.

Another trade idea would be send D. Stafford to Tampa straight up for Adam Erne. Erne could then play with Grigorenko (if he is around).

I would draft Ekblad this year. He is Shea Weber PART II.

Another deal would be Stewart and a 2nd for Ryan Hartman.

Erhoff to Philly for a 2nd or an AHL (23 yr old) makes sense. Moulson would fit in nicely with Colorado for a 2015 1st.

Isn't it a little early to be drinking?

I'm wondering if they had any talks with any of the unrestricted free agents. To me I'm sure some of this might have led to LaFontaine wanting to resign. You want players to come here but you offer no contracts to the one's that are already here. Makes no sense.

You have GM that hasn't been here a month yet. You have a coach who is still interim with a question mark now over him. And you expect the Sabres to hand out contracts???

PTR

Brian Lawton (the same guy that said Miller wouldn't be traded and would resign) just said that we have to retain salary for the Wild to take Halak. We can't retain anymore salary, but we can acquire a player with a salary to help match things up.

No longer pay attention to Brian Lawton.

You have GM that hasn't been here a month yet. You have a coach who is still interim with a question mark now over him. And you expect the Sabres to hand out contracts???

PTR

Murray has almost been here two months. Not saying you're wrong, though haha

Edited by Tankalicious

Yeap

2013 Champs - Chicago Blackhawks (picked third overall in 2006, first overall in 2007)

2012 Champs - Los Angeles Kings (picked second overall in 2008, fifth overall in 2009)

2011 Champs - Boston Bruins (picked second overall in 2009, fifth overall in 2006) -- Don't argue that the second pick doesn't count unless you have an idea for us to acquire the second overall pick next year

2010 Champs - Chicago Blackhawks (see above)

2009 Champs - Pittsburgh Penguins (picked first overall in 2005, second overall in 2004 and first overall in 2003)

I think that breakdown right there is what GMTM has identified as the way to win the cup. Great post.

Looks like 3-4 years after drafting top ~5 you have a chance to peak and win the cup. Not to mention selecting the right top 5 player.

Fine, and, again, if the hit rate is that bad, then the Sabres are doomed. It will take years and years to get out of the basement, if they do at all.

They aren't doomed if they assemble the proper mix of youth and vets. And they've given plenty of indications that they intend to stink again next year and then start adding vets after a high pick in 2015 is secured. I just think Moulson (and Ott for that matter) are the kind of vets that it makes sense to add, and I would've added them now instead of waiting another year.

Technically it's still early, but man, that Bishop-Conacher swap looks like a slaughter.

And it really should be pointed out that GMTM was presumably in on the trade-making decision on Ottawa's end.

Halak for Heatley and a 2015 1st rounder, that is what I'm expecting.

Which translates to Halak for a 2015 1st plus $7,500,000 of Pegula's bucks for the remainder of the season.

Amazing that the once great Heatley is now a negative value in a trade. I wouldn't be too upset with this return, especially given the Wild have the potential to be lottery worthy next season.