Confirmed: Sabres Acquire Winger Linus Omark from Edmonton

26CornerBlitz

To me it doesn't matter if the Sabres *win* this trade. To me, they can't lose it.

A small skilled forward who could not crack the Oiler lineup, which is full of forwards even more skilled than Omark.

Props to PLF for doing something. Taking a chance. You can't win if you don't try.

This season is all about seeing what works. Omark might just work. Nolan will give him his shot and will coach him properly. Of that, I have no doubt.

Exactly.

Both the Oilers and Sabres suck, but for very different reasons.

Omark brings something we sorely lack - Scoring touch and raw skill.

Now, if he doesn't mind some hard work either, I see no reason he wouldn't fit in with the current Sabres.

To me it doesn't matter if the Sabres *win* this trade. To me, they can't lose it.

A small skilled forward who could not crack the Oiler lineup, which is full of forwards even more skilled than Omark.

Props to PLF for doing something. Taking a chance. You can't win if you don't try.

This season is all about seeing what works. Omark might just work. Nolan will give him his shot and will coach him properly. Of that, I have no doubt.

Again, not saying it won't work out and I credit Patty for trying a low to no risk move. Having said that, the Oils are only 18th in the league in goals per game and have a terrible record and he still can't crack that lineup?

To nfreeman, do you know how many seasons he's been in N/A? If he came when he was 23 and he's 26 now then has it been 2.5 or 3.5? If 3.5 he's played less than one full season in the NHL. So although he may not be an AHL lifer, it's not like he's an NHL regular either.

Edited by Derrico

There's no downside to this trade, especially with the Cody^2 being out with injuries right now. Let's say his game isn't quite right. Sure, he might leave if you send him down to Rochester, but if he doesn't he'd fill in for Armia/Adam right?

Seriously? You do know Pavel Datsyuk was drafted in the 6th round, right? :P

I like it. Worst case scenario is he helps Rochester make some kind of a run.

No, someone else mentioned that there is a threat to go back to Europe if he's not playing in the NHL.

Gee whiz - it looks like Linus has no problem going to the net AND he knows how to finish. His touch on a couple of those goals was deft. If nothing else, maybe he can teach some of our boys how to aim where the goalie ain't....

:clapping: :thumbsup:

Again, not saying it won't work out and I credit Patty for trying a low to no risk move. Having said that, the Oils are only 18th in the league in goals per game and have a terrible record and he still can't crack that lineup?

To nfreeman, do you know how many seasons he's been in N/A? If he came when he was 23 and he's 26 now then has it been 2.5 or 3.5? If 3.5 he's played less than one full season in the NHL. So although he may not be an AHL lifer, it's not like he's an NHL regular either.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=94565

Looks like he's spent 2.5 seasons in NA, both split between nhl and ahl. Last season left the Oilers and played in the Swiss league.

Edited by Lanny

Okay.. I'll give you that one. But it's a conditional 6th round pick. The conditions? If the Oilers can't draft a Pavel Datsyuk in the 6th round. :)

Besides.. that Datsyuk guy is always injured. :P

I've seen him play in the AHL a few times. There's no question about his skill, but the effort wasn't always there. I think that's one of the reasons he couldn't stick in Edmonton.

This is a non-negotiable with Nolan. If Ted can't extract it on a consistent basis, LEAN-us will be on a boat bound for Bjornusborg.

That said, if his youtube montage is any indication, the man has some fine offensive skills. Hope he combines that with the work ethic required.

GO SABRES!!!

Ho

Lee

Crap.

That's an impressive montage.

Yes -- well worth watching.

The Sabres haven't had a guy who can do that since TC got concussed in game 2 vs Ottawa in the 2006 playoffs.

Woke up thinking this could really be a case of right place, right time for us.

Guy with mad skills stifled by coaches who wanted him to conform, on a team with too many skilled forwards.

Comes to a team with a crying need with skill and coach whose core philosophy is getting players to just be themselves.

And, as many have said, there's nothing to lose.

Omark might be a douche. But Teddy did alright with Marchand.

I had this in mind as I was listening this morning to Teddy's interview on WGR from a couple of days ago. In discussing Tyler Ennis, he mentioned a couple of times about how well Ennis is playing now that "the harness has been taken off him."

If there is a good NHL player inside of Linus, Teddy is going to spring him.

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=94565

Looks like he's spent 2.5 seasons in NA, both split between nhl and ahl. Last season left the Oilers and played in the Swiss league.

Exactly -- he spent most of his first year in NA with the Oilers, got sent down in camp before his second year (and complained about it to the press, which probably sealed his fate for that year), went back home for his 3rd year, which was his lockout year, and has been in the AHL since the start of this year.

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres Interim Coach Ted Nolan says the team will meet Linus Omark in Boston. "He'll play tomorrow night."

Awesome. So maybe Foligno moves to center in Hodgson's absence and Omark plays LW with him and D'Agostini?

Separately: one factor that might inhibit Teddy's ability to reach this kid is that he's a UFA after this year -- so he can bail and go home if he's not happy with how it goes here. Unless he really cares about making it in the NHL, that freedom removes an implied threat (i.e. of being stuck in the AHL indefinitely) and could make him less receptive to Teddy's coaching.

In a similar vein, I'm not sure whether he needs to clear waivers in order to be sent down to Rochester -- does anyone know?

Edited by nfreeman

Separately: one factor that might inhibit Teddy's ability to reach this kid is that he's a UFA after this year -- so he can bail and go home if he's not happy with how it goes here. Unless he really cares about making it in the NHL, that freedom removes an implied threat (i.e. of being stuck in the AHL indefinitely) and could make him less receptive to Teddy's coaching.

There could be several ways of looking at this, your way, yes, but he may also see this as a chance to "prove" himself in the "best league in the world." He may look at this situation as a chance to become a star player, and he may also realize that Buffalo has a sh*t-ton of cap room to overpay a player like himself if he works out. I guess we'll have a better handle on where his head is at after a few weeks of being a Sabre.

We have seen here in Buffalo how players can be mismanaged and can be stifled, I would think having the freedom to "play your game" would lift his spirits a little and give him an incentive to try. If the guy is frustrated at how his career has been going so far, he must see this as an opportunity to get where he wants to go.

There could be several ways of looking at this, your way, yes, but he may also see this as a chance to "prove" himself in the "best league in the world." He may look at this situation as a chance to become a star player, and he may also realize that Buffalo has a sh*t-ton of cap room to overpay a player like himself if he works out. I guess we'll have a better handle on where his head is at after a few weeks of being a Sabre.

We have seen here in Buffalo how players can be mismanaged and can be stifled, I would think having the freedom to "play your game" would lift his spirits a little and give him an incentive to try. If the guy is frustrated at how his career has been going so far, he must see this as an opportunity to get where he wants to go.

This is what gives me hope. Obviously this guys NHL career is at a crossroads. This may be his last chance to make it in the leauge which will hopefully inspire him to play better in the D zone. In his only year he played most of a season in the NHL he was -16. I know the Oilers weren't very good in 2010/2011 but it was still tied for second worse +/- on that club. Some offense will be a welcomed change to this team, as will his creativity but let's see just how bad his defensive awarness is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.