GM Speculation

Eleven

Honestly I like Benning more based on his present team he works for. I'd rather have a Bruins design for the new Sabres than that of the Sens. Boston after all won a Cup.

Plus I wouldn't feel safe having the nephew of another team's GM. I'd fear a conflict of interest.

Honestly I like Benning more based on his present team he works for. I'd rather have a Bruins design for the new Sabres than that of the Sens. Boston after all won a Cup.

Plus I wouldn't feel safe having the nephew of another team's GM. I'd fear a conflict of interest.

Bryan is 71 and it doesn't appear that he'll be around much longer. His contract is up after this season and he might want to retire.

Tim Murray may be next Buffalo Sabres GM: Reports

By Greg Wyshynski Puck Daddy

Let’s say you’re a 50-year-old executive in the National Hockey League. You have the opportunity to succeed your uncle as the general manager of one team, building off the foundation he’s created. Or you have the chance to strike out on your own, taking over a team that may be mired in a lengthy rebuild.

Oh yeah: Your uncle’s owner is someone fraught with financial troubles, and other team’s owner is a billionaire.

Hence, Ottawa Senators assistant general manager Tim Murray might be the next general manager of the Buffalo Sabres.

Sportsnet’s Doug MacLean believes it’s close, as he announced on Hockey Central on Monday. Bruce Garrioch believes he’s emerged as the top candidate, even as Boston Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning was mentioned as such over the weekend.

I understand what you are saying about Benning versus Murray but Murray works under heavy financial restrictions which is something to keep in mind. Ottawa has an internal cap.

Ottawa also looked like they were ready to plummet to the basement a couple years ago and that hasn't happened.

Quite a few no-names turned out to be decent players for them.

Reserve judgment until I hear the man speak, but I like his resume.

Would not be unhappy with this at all.

HockeyCentral at noon with Maclean and Kyper saying Tim Murray is the guy.

Tim Murray discussion starts at 11:45

Hockey Central @ Noon 1/6/14

Suggests it only hasn't been announced yet because he can't get to Buffalo yet (flights) and says he may get the job over Benning due to personality (opposite of Darcy Regier).

I understand what you are saying about Benning versus Murray but Murray works under heavy financial restrictions which is something to keep in mind. Ottawa has an internal cap.

Very true, I guess I'm mostly fearing conspiracy and Ottawa's model which reminds me far to much of DR's. Ottawa can't decide rather to tank or go all in, they are unpredictable in games, yet still draft great. Also why would we need a penny cruncher? Pegula is willing to spend the max, and the cap will be over 80mil by 2017. If you're basing it on better contracts then I can understand.

At least with Benning, he brings a model which has won a Cup and has kept Boston competitive for years now.

Very true, I guess I'm mostly fearing conspiracy and Ottawa's model which reminds me far to much of DR's. Ottawa can't decide rather to tank or go all in, they are unpredictable in games, yet still draft great. Also why would we need a penny cruncher? Pegula is willing to spend the max, and the cap will be over 80mil by 2017. If you're basing it on better contracts then I can understand.

At least with Benning, he brings a model which has won a Cup and has kept Boston competitive for years now.

I think the thing with Ottawa is that they go all in with what they can. They can't go to crazy because of financial restrictions. The Sabres are gutted of offense and we complain because they have all this cap space, Ottawa is actually below us in cap space. Murray is limited by that. I am not saying we need a guy who can manipulate the cap or contracts or what not but I am saying that Murray not having a cup to Benning having one doesn't impress me when I know that Ottawa realistically can not spend the $ to win it unless they get very lucky.

I guess in my experience, ppl who can operate with less resources and win are more apt to keep winning when they are given more resources. They value things differently and look at things differently. Benning could be a fine GM, idk, never heard him talk or such. Who knows, I will be happy with anyone not named Reiger for at least a couple weeks.

Tim Murray sounds like he's good in the draft and developing players. Although this is a key quality (especially with some high draft picks over hopefully this season and maybe next) I want him to be able to put a championship team together. Has he had great success with helping his uncle make key trades? I hope he can get us from an up and coming team with a good young core to a legit contender. I guess time will tell....

Tim Murray sounds like he's good in the draft and developing players. Although this is a key quality (especially with some high draft picks over hopefully this season and maybe next) I want him to be able to put a championship team together. Has he had great success with helping his uncle make key trades? I hope he can get us from an up and coming team with a good young core to a legit contender. I guess time will tell....

Depends how much control Uncle Patty truly gives him.

If it is Murray, what is the over/under on time before the barbeque begins on this board? It will only be a matter of time before someone begins calling for his head. My bet is during the normal November swoon of the Sabres.

Here's an NHL.com video of Murray post 2013 draft that'll give some good insight into his philosophy: Draft Wrap Up with Tim Murray Assistant General Manager Tim Murray wraps up the 2013 NHL Draft with Sens TV as he gives some detail into each of the team's picks.

The bags under the eyes...the frumpy disheveledness....the manlove for Lazar....I'm good!

Word of warning....he's a plate of pierogi and pitcher of Genny away from a quadruple bypass.....gotta like it!

If it is Murray, what is the over/under on time before the barbeque begins on this board? It will only be a matter of time before someone begins calling for his head. My bet is during the normal November swoon of the Sabres.

Why would Murray draw this type of criticism more than anyone else?

Here's an NHL.com video of Murray post 2013 draft that'll give some good insight into his philosophy: Draft Wrap Up with Tim Murray Assistant General Manager Tim Murray wraps up the 2013 NHL Draft with Sens TV as he gives some detail into each of the team's picks.

"I'm leery of defensmen after the 2nd round I have to tell ya, well because, I mean the stats speak for themselves."

I really get the impression Ottawa may have taken Zadorov if he were available... they talk how impact defenders usually don't drop that far. O well, interesting hearing what Murray had to say. I like him no better and no worse than before.

The dude sucks. Fire Tim! I say we bring in his Uncle Bill instead.

caddyshackbillmurrayunkempt.jpg

Why would Murray draw this type of criticism more than anyone else?

Probably because Ottawa has never been considered a great team. Fans want a pedigree that comes from a fistful of rings. That's why Benning is so sexy although cynics would tout the connection to DR as a red flag.

In the end we will end up hating whoever it is.

PTR

Archived