GM Speculation

Eleven

Per Bob McKenzie on TSN during intermission of Isles/Leafs-

-He has been told by several people that LaFontaine wants Tim Murray as his GM.

-Jim Benning is out, the window the Bruins gave Sabres permission to speak to him expired today. So, Sabres are now not able to speak with him until end of season.

Interesting developments

According to the Ottawa Sun, before PLF can hire Murray, he needed to meet with Terry Pegula to get his blessing. Ottawa Sun was unaware if they met today or if it was delayed due to weather. It appears though that they did meet and we have a new general manager....

https://twitter.com/...733301813297152

Sportsnet reporting, as Foligno pointed out, that all candidates are being told they didn't get the job (except Murray of course). No deal complete with Murray YET, though.

Appears we have our guy, and, from what I can gather, I'm ecstatic.

Sportsnet reporting, as Foligno pointed out, that all candidates are being told they didn't get the job (except Murray of course). No deal complete with Murray YET, though.

Appears we have our guy, and, from what I can gather, I'm ecstatic.

You don't tell your B option peace out if A isn't locked down. It's not a deal done until it's done (like Iginla to Boston last deadline). Since he's calling them, they must have an agreement in place. No way a former lawyer like Ted Black would allow PLF to call the other guys just yet if that wasn't a case.

Well I was out snow blowing and just came back in and checked my voice mail and missed calls and he hasn't called me yet so I guess I still have a chance then! So don't be so sure Tim is the guy yet.

You don't tell your B option peace out if A isn't locked down. It's not a deal done until it's done (like Iginla to Boston last deadline). Since he's calling them, they must have an agreement in place. No way a former lawyer like Ted Black would allow PLF to call the other guys just yet if that wasn't a case.

Don't shoot the messenger. Just noting what was being reported without any opinion otherwise.

I do agree. The fact that other reports say the last step was getting Pegula's blessing but they were unaware whether or not the meeting happened yet makes me think that the meeting happened and the agreement is done. Nobody knows it just yet.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie1m

Growing # of NHL GMs frustrated by NHL rules not permitting clubs to be compensated for losing off-ice personnel to other clubs.

Well go ahead and change that rule this offseason when we don't have to worry about it anymore. That'd be nice. :w00t:

Why the f*ck should teams be compensated? My old company didn't get anything from my new company from having me stolen from them, why should NHL teams?

Why the f*ck should teams be compensated? My old company didn't get anything from my new company from having me stolen from them, why should NHL teams?

I agree. The best compensation a team should give is to show the same class as Ottawa (and the other teams) did by allowing their guys speak with us, and remained patient with us since it was a pretty long process.

I have this feeling that the next GM, in the interest of bolstering the Sabres short term (which is in the interest of both proving him/herself and self-preservation), will identify Ryan Miller (who will likely, hopefully earn a medal at the Olympics) as one of the premier goaltenders in the NHL and resign him to a front-loaded (as much as one can now) long-term contract.

I'm not saying it is/is not the right thing to do for Cup-building, but in the eyes of a young, unproven GM, I can easily see them wanting to abandon the Tank. Before, it was a little more clear to me that the Tank would survive a GM change. Now, not so much.

Signing Miller doesn't sign mean the tank is off, it just means Miller is a better asset for the rebuild than whatever is being offered for him.

The new GM will have already spelled out his plan, and, by his hiring, had it endorsed. That aside, there will be no one in the NHL in a safer position to tank than our new GM.

If he doesn't come in and sell, he's a darn fool.

For the record, I support selling, but I wouldn't call re-signing our guys foolish.

We are going to have sign some real players for next year — tank, or no tank.

Ott, Moulson and Miller are quality people. How many more draft picks do we need?

Bob McKenzie is good enough for me.

Let me be the first to say welcome aboard, Tim Murray.

This 40-year member of the blue and gold is happy to have you.

For the record, I don't think teams should be compensated if a guy is getting a promotion (not by title, but by duty) and a raise. If you really wanted to keep a guy around you should've given him a better job.

I was just saying that it's clearly different than your everday company, etc.

Well I was out snow blowing and just came back in and checked my voice mail and missed calls and he hasn't called me yet so I guess I still have a chance then! So don't be so sure Tim is the guy yet.

I got the call. I'm out. What a ###### week.

Nobody wanted a friggin' lawyer for that spot anyhow. ;) :)

For what it's worth, somebody updated (created?) a Tim Murray wikipage w/in the last hour claiming he iS the Sabres'GM. (Yeah, I know it's wiki, but I thought it interesting someody was so desperate to get the scoop to update THAT. :doh:)

Well, 1st off, you assumed that your old company really didn't want to lose you

2nd, NHL teams want to be compensated for losing valuable, talented, hard working employees................. :nana:

For what it's worth, somebody updated (created?) a Tim Murray wikipage w/in the last hour claiming he iS the Sabres'GM. (Yeah, I know it's wiki, but I thought it interesting someody was so desperate to get the scoop to update THAT. :doh:)

This happens every time somebody changes teams in sports. The update pops up there before it's official every time and then goes back within hours until it is actually official.

This is what I get from the wiki page:

Tim Murray (born October 31, 1963) is a Canadian ice hockey executive. He was a candidate for the role of GM of the Buffalo Sabres, but lost the position to Taro Tsujimoto.

This happens every time somebody changes teams in sports. The update pops up there before it's official every time and then goes back within hours until it is actually official.

Yeah. I remember when someone changed Shane Doan to "current team: Buffalo Sabres" during that whole rumor fiasco.

Also, funny story about wikipedia, the NFL used to open free agency at midnight, and few seasons ago ESPN has a live telecast. Someone changed Derek Anderson (after his good season with Cleveland) wikipedia page to "Signed with Carolina Panthers". ESPN ran a "Breaking News: According to Wikipedia, Derek Anderson signs with Carolina Panthers" LOL

Media quickly learned not to trust that site.

Well if I don't get the call then you've got a job with me lol

Archived