GM Speculation

Eleven

The latest on #GMSearch2014

2. Okay, Buffalo's GM search. When Bruins assistant GM Jim Benning didn't go to the world juniors, eyebrows went up. It's certainly unusual for a team to be without a major voice at that event. As we mentioned on Hotstove, that created a lot of buzz and belief it meant he was the favourite in Buffalo. Now, the focus shifts to Ottawa's Tim Murray. Should Saturday's speculation turn out to be incorrect, that's on me and I don't hide from it.

3. One thing to know about all this: Bryan Murray is excellent when it comes to returning emails or messages. It's not like I bombard him, but only three times has he not returned one. The first was the day before he acquired Ben Bishop, when I heard he had interest. The second was when I heard Tim was going to interview in Buffalo. The third was Monday, when word came that Tim interviewed a second time (I did not ask specifically if he was getting the job). Lesson learned: when Bryan does not return a message, something's up.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2014/01/30-thoughts-canadas-olympic-squad-still-has-holes-to-fill.html

Here's an NHL.com video of Murray post 2013 draft that'll give some good insight into his philosophy: Draft Wrap Up with Tim Murray Assistant General Manager Tim Murray wraps up the 2013 NHL Draft with Sens TV as he gives some detail into each of the team's picks.

Going back to this: If he is the guy, I'm looking forward to listening to a guy who doesn't sound dead tired every single time. It's understandable after big events like the draft to sound a little tired, but Darcy sounded like he hadn't slept in years during every single press conference. A new voice will be refreshing.

Also like that he admits multiple times in the video that he's definitely going to listen to the guys who know the prospects the best. If a certain area scout really pulls for a player then he'll give that guy credit and make the pick. Not going to try and do everything himself.

Also, as far as the having a cup vs not having one: Murray left the year before the Ducks won the cup, but a few of the major contributors were brought in while he was manning the draft.

Things Murray seems to have had a direct connection to: Drafting Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry, Ladislav Smid and Bobby Ryan (over Jack Johnson which appears to be the opposite of what Brian Burke wanted). Saw it mentioned elsewhere that he was a big part of the Fedorov for Beauchemin trade that turned out amazing for the Ducks. Those moves won the Ducks a championship.

Can't find anything on his big moves in NY other than Marc Staal. In Ottawa he most likely played a big part in bringing in his draftee Bobby Ryan. He also seems to be the guy who wanted Erik Karlsson.

Not really sure, just speculating here: chance he used his connection in Don Maloney down in PHX to pull off the Kyle Turris trade which appears to be working out very well.

Weather might be the only thing holding it back. Really pulling for this to happen.

Same, really looking forward to having a fresh face in the franchise. Plus, some certainty at arguably the most important job on a team would be appreciated. Get him in, and let him evaluate before the Olympic break so he can make some moves during it.

Same, really looking forward to having a fresh face in the franchise. Plus, some certainty at arguably the most important job on a team would be appreciated. Get him in, and let him evaluate before the Olympic break so he can make some moves during it.

I could be wrong but I would guess that the NHL would have a trade freeze during the Olympics. Anyone know for sure?

I could be wrong but I would guess that the NHL would have a trade freeze during the Olympics. Anyone know for sure?

there was a roster freeze during the olympics last time, so I'm guessing that it's a thing.

Really? Huh, I did not know that, thanks for the info.

So no moves, but can their be discussions?

I'd assume they would allow discussions, but they might get pissed if they hear of a bunch of deals agreed to getting out to the media. But that'd be kind of their fault for putting the trade deadline so close to the Olympics. Not that they had much choice.

My guess on Miller has been that they'll agree to a trade sometime during the Olympic break and make the announcement shortly after the Olympics. Not really much info to tell me to think that way, just a gut feeling that the team wants him around for the Olympics. Maybe even a game after the Olympics to sell major tickets. And then let him go.

Really? Huh, I did not know that, thanks for the info.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/8/19/4636526/2014-sochi-olympics-nhl-break-trade-freeze

here's a little piece I just stumbled upon. Says the freeze is from 2/7/14 - 2/23/14 (the duration of the winter games).

I have this feeling that the next GM, in the interest of bolstering the Sabres short term (which is in the interest of both proving him/herself and self-preservation), will identify Ryan Miller (who will likely, hopefully earn a medal at the Olympics) as one of the premier goaltenders in the NHL and resign him to a front-loaded (as much as one can now) long-term contract.

I'm not saying it is/is not the right thing to do for Cup-building, but in the eyes of a young, unproven GM, I can easily see them wanting to abandon the Tank. Before, it was a little more clear to me that the Tank would survive a GM change. Now, not so much.

Maybe this is all unimportant, because it's equally as likely that the decision is in Miller's hands. If Miller isn't signed within a week or two of the end of the Olympic break, that's likely looking at trades.

I have this feeling that the next GM, in the interest of bolstering the Sabres short term (which is in the interest of both proving him/herself and self-preservation), will identify Ryan Miller (who will likely, hopefully earn a medal at the Olympics) as one of the premier goaltenders in the NHL and resign him to a front-loaded (as much as one can now) long-term contract.

I'm not saying it is/is not the right thing to do for Cup-building, but in the eyes of a young, unproven GM, I can easily see them wanting to abandon the Tank. Before, it was a little more clear to me that the Tank would survive a GM change. Now, not so much.

Maybe this is all unimportant, because it's equally as likely that the decision is in Miller's hands. If Miller isn't signed within a week or two of the end of the Olympic break, that's likely looking at trades.

Well I see it almost the opposite. Bringing in a GM so close to the deadline will force him to only sell. Won't really be able to buy many long-term guys.

Then the new GM will have the task of stripping the team of that parts he doesn't see fit.

Since there is only so much you can do in one offseason, I don't see the team changing fortunes much in time for next season. And if Miller would rather compete in a place he would prefer to be than to sit around in Buffalo and lose then he'll likely be out of here one way or the other.

If he doesn't come in and sell, he's a darn fool.

I'm on board with selling just about anything. I'd actually like to keep Moulson around, but I won't be heart broken if just about anybody is moved.

Then, is his second full offseason with the team, he can start moving prospects for NHL players and build the team he really wants. Be patient.

Per Bob McKenzie on TSN during intermission of Isles/Leafs-

-He has been told by several people that LaFontaine wants Tim Murray as his GM.

-Jim Benning is out, the window the Bruins gave Sabres permission to speak to him expired today. So, Sabres are now not able to speak with him until end of season.

According to the Ottawa Sun, before PLF can hire Murray, he needed to meet with Terry Pegula to get his blessing. Ottawa Sun was unaware if they met today or if it was delayed due to weather. It appears though that they did meet and we have a new general manager....

@JSportsnet

Sabres' Lafontaine is spending the evening contacting some GM candidates...telling them they don't have the job...

Archived