All About Ted Nolan

Eleven

Bob Swados' book tells the whole back story of Nolan effectively getting fired. There were two competing camps in ownership. The offer to Nolan was designed to be rejected. It wasn't Darcy being principled, it was Darcy doing as he was told, the genesis of the yes man.

I didn't know there was a book on that subject! Why didn't they want to keep Nolan?

I'd like to think Nolan and Roy are comparable.

Best thing to ever happen to the kid, IMO.

To be coached like he was in Quebec.

Maybe we will stop seeing Stafford rewarded for his crap play and start seeing Grigorenko rewarded for actually doing well. I bet Girgensons and Tropp will look better too... imgaine that line... Girgensons - Grigorenko - Tropp

Here's the real important thing to note on Nolan. The Sabres let him go in 1997. He didn't land another real coaching gig until Moncton of the Q hired him in 2005. Now there are stories that he had random offers here and there, but what exactly happens to keep a guy away from coaching for 8 years? This guy was poison, there's no doubt in my mind. Hopefully he has straightened that out.

Might as well start it.

Although I'd prefer someone with no previous ties to the Sabres, if we're going to have someone with previous ties, I'm glad it's him. As most people here know, I'm not a fan of letting good coaches go, and he was a good one. His work was incomplete when he left, and I'm glad he'll get a chance to resume it.

I agree I'm a big fan of Teddy. I think it's an interim spot to see how this team does under him and if it goes well then it's long term

I started form the bottom and worked up. Had no idea for the 1st one and well... had some fun with it after.

And stop being so Angry Eleven.

I'm screwing around, too; no worries.

I agree I'm a big fan of Teddy. I think it's an interim spot to see how this team does under him and if it goes well then it's long term

He, like Ruff, has the ability to get the most out of a mediocre roster. Not necessarily a horrible roster, which this one is, but a mediocre roster.

Here's the real important thing to note on Nolan. The Sabres let him go in 1997. He didn't land another real coaching gig until Moncton of the Q hired him in 2005. Now there are stories that he had random offers here and there, but what exactly happens to keep a guy away from coaching for 8 years? This guy was poison, there's no doubt in my mind. Hopefully he has straightened that out.

I don't buy it. He coached the Islanders as well. I like Ted and it seemed like they played hard under him for what he had to work with.

For the record, I think that Ted Nolan was one of the most over-rated coaches in Sabres history. The whole "hardest working team" in hockey and the fighting were entertaining but his philosophy was basically let the other team take 75 shots at Hasek, block about 25 and then when they are frustrated and tired score a timely goal.

It was basically the rope a dope of hockey.

The notion that he worked well with younger players was also over blown. He worked well with marginal players who were grateful for the opportunity. He was knocked out of the playoffs largely because he tried to out tough the Flyers. The next year under Ruff, they utilized their speed and won rather easily.

All that being said, he is a good guy, a passionate guy and he can be entertaining for about a year and maybe with age and maturity he has developed a better feel for the X's and O's.

If the new GM is more progressive in his approach to the game, it would be surprising if he kept Nolan.

I don't buy it. He coached the Islanders as well. I like Ted and it seemed like they played hard under him for what he had to work with.

And from the Islanders he moved on to the Latvian national program. We all know that's a huge rung on the coaching ladder. The Sabres let him go and he didn't get another job for seven years. SEVEN YEARS! That doesn't happen with someone who is a great coach.

He was outspoken, which definitely scared some teams away. There were rumors that he had an affair with Hasek's wife, which also might have scared some teams away. If i"m not mistaken, I believe he also made some comment on racism being a reason he wasn't hired again. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but it definitely reinforces my first point about him being outspoken.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/27/is-ted-nolan-a-victim-of-racism-or-his-own-reputation/

I'm not sure Nolan is the right guy, but the Sabres have the rest of the season to find out. Rolston was a victim of circumstance, lack of talent mostly, a bit in over his head and the team didn't play hard for him since day 1. I think they will play hard for Nolan, and if they don't I'm pretty sure Lafontaine will have no problem changing the players or the coach.

In any event the team moved forward today, whether right or wrong, and that is a start. The team was going nowhere under Rolston and Regier.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.