Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

It wasn't for a lack of effort, trust me. I just don't get blackout drunk that often. I have a graduate degree from Playboy's #1 party school, which has bestowed upon me a super-human tolerance. Especially for beer. So I really can't drink enough beer by 2AM to cause memory loss. It's a blessing and a curse.

Sometimes, if I don't eat dinner and I start drinking at like 4pm, I'll be shitfaced by bar time. We used to do that in Madison. Pound beers from about 4 until 7pm at happy hour, then go to the Badger hockey game until 9:30, then pub crawl down State St, ending up at the Essen Haus around 11pm, then pound 2 liter glass boots of Spaten Optimator and dance to live polka music for three hours. That would usually do it, but I'd still remember where I was.

I remember drinking myself sober quite a few times on beer which would never happen on spirits. On spirits its drink yourself stupor. Or stupider.

• 2 weeks later...

This disgrace of leadership is why I would NEVER want to see Vanek in a Sabres uni again. And now we may have the answer as to why he was never given the C

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/did-too-much-austrian-partying-cost-them-a-spot-in-the-quarterfinals/

A certain amount of team bonding is usually a good thing. But there is no way to make this story look good.

This disgrace of leadership is why I would NEVER want to see Vanek in a Sabres uni again. And now we may have the answer as to why he was never given the C

http://prohockeytalk...-quarterfinals/

Whatever. If they had won we would be reading stories of how their late partying brought the team together

Whatever. If they had won we would be reading stories of how their late partying brought the team together

And LA added two guys with a serious party reputation in Richards and Carter and they walked away with the Cup. This is just the way hockey players are.

Edited by shrader

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/20/did-too-much-austrian-partying-cost-them-a-spot-in-the-quarterfinals/

I don't know what he was like in B-lo off the ice but I never thought he was a partyer

That will have zero impact on his trade value. He didn't forget how to score goals. It's not like he's got 5 years left on his deal, he's got a few months.

I agree with this, and I think Callaway may have overstated it a bit, but I also agree that this is not captain-worthy behavior and I'm glad the Sabres didn't give him a $60MM extension.

That will have zero impact on his trade value. He didn't forget how to score goals. It's not like he's got 5 years left on his deal, he's got a few months.

I doubt anyone is bringing him in to be the veteran leader/captain of their team so like you said, this shouldn't affect his value.

It may affect his next contract slightly because a team could use it against him and say that they aren't going to pay him an extra million because he has not shown he is a leader

The Captain of your team partying until 6am before the Quarters of your countries biggest game in history? No thanks

They were partying on Sunday. Their game was on Tuesday. That's 2 days before the quarters in a tournament they had no chance of getting a medal in. Again, whatever.

People need to lighten up.

And LA added two guys with a serious party reputation in Richards and Carter and they walked away with the Cup. This is just the way hockey players are.

Not just hockey players. If people knew the things that some of their "revered" heroes did before the internet and ESPN, etc. Mickey Mantle spent half his life in a drunkin stupor but nobody knew and nobody cared.

Looks like we'll be seeing the Islander 2015 pick since they may fall back into the race for 2014 #1 overall pick:

@TSNBobMcKenzie

NYI expect John Tavares to miss the balance of the season due to the injury suffered at the Olympics.

Wow. I didn't realize it was that serious. That's great in terms of the Isles draft pick (looks like we will almost certainly be getting their 2015 which is fine by me) but horrible news for those hoping the NHL goes to South Korea in 2018.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.